• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic bird feeding questions (2 Viewers)

Stacey said:
Elizabeth, we must have been typing our posts at exactly the same time. I didn't see yours when I answered the last one.

Those cameras sound so neat. Are they expensive? The wiring must be complicated.

We bought the complete kit - box + camera + wiring. You can read all the details on our website.

Elizabeth, I started at the beginning and watched the birds build their nests, and now I'm at the part where the first 2 eggs have hatched.

It's so interesting! It's wonderful that you post it, too, so everybody can see what it's like. Thank you.

I'm glad you like it Stacey - we had great fun doing it, but the "empty nest syndrome" when it was all over was quite sad.

Because it had taken up so much of our time - thousands of pictures to view each day, select the best ones, prepare for putting onto the site, and then adding the text was pretty time-consuming, there was quite a "hole" in our lives for a while when the chicks had flown.

Do you plan to do it again next year, Elizabeth?

Also - what happens when the birds fledge? Do the parents continue to care for them for a little while?

Do the parent birds then leave the nest as well? Are nests just for raising babies? Where do the birds sleep if they're not in their nests?

I hope you don't mind all the questions.

Stacey - I don't mind at all! Yes, we hope to continue next year, and my husband is already planning for it. We hope that it might be possible to have some video clips as well. Last year you could look at a frequently refreshing webcam image, choosing which one of the two boxes you looked at. For a while we (this is the Royal "we" - Malcolm does all the photographic stuff) had a camcorder on a tripod in the dining room, and this was focussed either on the bird table, or on the mealworm feeder on the window, so you had a third choice.

The parents continue for quite a few days to feed the chicks - we could see them in the shrubs at the bottom of the garden, waiting for mealworms to be delivered from the feeder we had down there. Towards the end of this year's story, you will find a photo called "Fluffy and her chicks" - this feeder is right outside the kitchen window, and we continued to see them feeding together there for some time.

Yes they all leave the nest for good, though occasionally for a short while an adult might return for a quick look round. We presume the birds roost in the trees and hedges - itt seems such a waste of a nice cosy box! One of our friends (whose company supplies the image-detecting software) already has a bluetit roosting in his box, and I know several other people find this, but not so far, for us.

On our links page, you will see quite a few other sites with camera equipped nestboxes, and you might find Vickie's interesting - she lists places all over the world where there are webcams, quite a few in the US.

Hi Stacey,
Just found this very interesting thread. I don't put bird food or bird houses in my back garden because of all the cats that are about. We have a big bay tree which birds nest in, and I spend so much time once the birds start learning to fly, rescuing the fledgelings from cat attacks. Even keep an unplanted hanging basket on the back wall that can be converted quickly into a temporary nest to pop a baby bird in away from cats. What advise can people give me on this, as I hate the stress of it, but not as much as the baby birds do! Please don't give any advise involving unkindness to cats, as I love them too, and they are only being cats.
I limit my attempts to attract birds to my front garden, where there are hardly ever any cat visitors.
I've raised this point because years ago I spent lots of time encouraging birds to my back garden, and had to watch as they nested and all the babies (bluetits) were killed. It was horrible.

Geraldine - do you have cats of your own, or are these neighbour's cats? I know some people find these electronic cat scarers very useful, but we found it didn't bother a visiting siamese in our garden at all.

Well - the birds came at 8:30 yesterday morning. It's 9:00 and still none yet! here birdee birdee birdee!

When I came downstairs my cat was sitting in front of the windows, tail twitching. Maybe they came earlly this morning and he scared them away. Little fart.

So I have an idea - I can cover the bottom sections of the windows, so the birds can't see the cat and the cat can't see the birds. Any suggestions on how to do it aesthetically?

I was thinking maybe rice paper, or some of that spray stuff that looks like frost (but I wouldn't want to do that until winter).

Elizabeth I've really been enjoying your links!

Last edited:
OK - I think I fixed the cat in the window problem.

fad8f17d.jpg

window before

fad8f178.jpg

window after

Last edited:
Stacey - the second picture was VERY tiny, but I removed the .thumb.jpg from the end of the URL, and was able to see what you had done. Might cat attempt to tear it down?

I wonder why it was so tiny? Hmmm.

I think the cat might try something like that - but we'll see! If he does I'll have to come up with something else.

I'll go try to make the image bigger now. Thanks for responding!

Hi Stacy,
Great idea. Also the cat will probably give up on that window if he can't see out. Hope your birds have arrived by now.
Hi Elizabeth,
No I haven't got cats, they give me asthma, but I love them. The neighbours have lots. I'll investigate the electronic scarer. Thanks.

pduxon said:

and for the benefit of Auntie Elizabeth, I'm making a cuppa.

I'll never speak to you again if you call me Auntie - not even my nephews and nieces call me that, nor their children. If you can't stick with plain "Elizabeth" - you may call me madam!!! ;) ;)

Today I'm at work, and I had to leave at 5:30 am so I don't know if we had any birds. But yesterday all I had was the same blue jay coming back over and over again. It wasn't very blue, though - it was more grey. Maybe it was a female?

Anyways - hopefully I'll be able to see some birds tomorrow before I leave for work (don't leave until 9:30 tomorrow!). I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

How about you all? Have you had lots of them? Tell me all about how many birds you've had so at least I'll have birds by proxy!

Stacey

Well everybody - I know you're all poised on the edge of your seats, in suspense. Do I have birds yet today??

But first - a question. I have black oil sunflower seeds that I bought last year and kept in lidded plastic containers. They look and smell fine, but are they? Will the birds eat them?

And now the answer to the question which I know you've all been waiting for. Drumroll, please . . . . . . . . no birds at my feeders.

On the other hand, I do have lots of little juncos all over the ground. But it's hard for me to see the birds on the ground because of the stuff I put up on the windows! I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. I don't know what the little guys are eating - they're not around my feeders eating spilled seed, they're hopping around my patio and sidewalk. Maybe they're eating sand or gravel.

I'll be waiting for 20 more minutes, then I have to go to work (it's 9:05 am). Talk to you later!

Hi Stacey,
You have just begun the journey of a lifetime! I first took an interest in birds over 40 years ago and it has brought me so much pleasure down the years.
Whatever you do with regard to the bath/drinker do not be tempted to add anything to it to stop it freezing, unless you intend taking up taxidermy!
Birds prefer to have a morning wash and brush up, so you should get out before dawn and chip out the ice, replacing it with tepid clean water. Also, just as the light starts to fade they need a cup of bedtime drink! As for the position of the feeders, can't say I know your little chickadee, but the photo looks a lot like our titmice, and they will find food anywhere. Just be patient.
I wish you many hours of happy surfing on the Forums pages. You will find as I have that there are a lot of clever and helpful folk out there. No question is ever put to ridicule and there are no prima donnas. So ask away!

Mike D said:
Hi Stacey,

Birds prefer to have a morning wash and brush up, so you should get out before dawn and chip out the ice, replacing it with tepid clean water.

Mike - I thought I was pretty soft about my birds - but "BEFORE DAWN"!!!! Of course dawn can be pretty late in some places, at this time of year, but.................................

Thank you for the link, Susan. I'll try it out as soon as I finish typing this message.

Mike! heheheheh Me up before dawn!!!!! heheheheheh I think I'd rather have the yard wired for electricity and just put in a pond heater. But you did emphasize the importance of the bird bath very well. Now I know why they call them "bird brains" though - getting wet in subzero weather.

I'm sitting here in front of the windows again waiting for the birds. Keep your fingers crossed!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back