• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic bird feeding questions (1 Viewer)

Stacey said:
Just thought I'd update everybody on the progress of the bird feeding. I'm still getting a few chickadees

I was wondering how you were getting on, blue jays looks ever so cute. What chickadee are you getting?!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Stacey - there is an ad in our RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) magazine for "home grown" sunflower seeds, but I've never seen a sunflower farm myself. I bought a sack a few days ago as I mentioned (sorry I did not answer right away), but I've just been to check it - no mention of where they came from, but I have emailed the supplier, and hope to find out. Incidentaly, it was not a 12½kg sack, but a 15kg - so not quite so expensive as I thought - my price comparisons will be all wrong!!

Stacey - I have already received an answer from my black sunflower seed supplier:

Our Black Sunflower Seeds come from France. We would love to
source English product but a) their outer skins are thicker b) total
production in this country is insufficient to meet demand c) Price, it
seems crazy but it is cheaper to import than buy home grown!

I was delighted with such a speedy response, and I hope this will answer your question.

Even up here we have several farms with sunflowers growing. We tend to buy in bulk too, through a local seed merchant, though we find the birds much prefer sunflower hearts to anything else. It certainly does away with any messy husks or sprouting weeds. Ours originate in North Dakota USA and cost £26.00 for 25kgs.

Hi Stacey - I bought a 50lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds at the local farmer's co-op store for $12.00 CDN. It should last me about a month at least at the rate I'm going. I think that's pretty good, although I haven't comparison shopped yet.

Stacey,welcome to BF.Your little birds must think they have died and gone to heaven,absolute luxury, bless them.
Before we moved to a house without a proper garden I was an avid bird feeder,and I used to put floating balls in the large bird baths to stop them from freezing over,as sometimes the ice would be too thick for a kettle de frost job..
I can see you are going to have many happy hours watching your birds.
K.C.I do love your Chicadee.Would you say it was perhaps a cousin to our Coal tit.
Christine.

Susan - $12.00 Canadian is like $6.00 American, isn't it??? Wow are your seeds cheap!

Pduxon - we get black-capped chickadees. Do you have bluejays in England? I'd rather not have them - they're terribly mean and they scare all the little birds from the feeders.

You know - I thought the climate in England was pretty much the same as here. Maybe not? Just wondering why the sunflowers aren't grown as much there. Do you have sunflowers in your gardens?

Stacey said:
Pduxon - we get black-capped chickadees. Do you have bluejays in England? I'd rather not have them - they're terribly mean and they scare all the little birds from the feeders.

Bluejays aren't found over here. Your little Chickadees are like the Tits we get over here. If you've seen Elizabeth's site then you'll have seen the little Blue Tits.

We don't have titmice all the way up here, but they do have them just a few hundred miles further South.

I identified a new bird at my feeder today! I was very happy. It was a white-breasted nuthatch.

Now I'm trying to figure out what another bird was, but I can't find it in my Michigan field guide. It wasn't feeding at my feeder - it was up on the telephone wire. There were 2 of them, actually. It looked like a brown thrasher, but had a shorter tail. Same bill and coloring and markings. Any ideas?

Well - it's nice and cold today and we have lots and lots of little birds! They've been feeding all day, not just during the morning. Poor little guys out there in the cold. That must be terribly uncomfortable for them.

Hi,
We've been feeding goldfinches for years here in our backyard (Long Island, NY). This year... NO GOLDFINCHES!! What's going on? Anyone??

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back