• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton Cliffs (2 Viewers)

Neil Duggan

Thinking of making the the long drive to Bempton on Saturday. Just wondered if any one could mark my card of best places to watch from and whats about.

A local birder mentioned a sea trip, is that possible.

Many thanks

Thinking of making the the long drive to Bempton on Saturday. Just wondered if any one could mark my card of best places to watch from and whats about.

Many thanks

http://www.rspb.org.uk/datewithnature/146968-gannet-and-puffin-cruises

There are many viewpoints manned by volunteers at Bempton, but the hike to Staple Newk for the Gannets should be well worthwhile.

Flamborough North Landing usually provides many more views of Puffins than at Bempton, some of which can be fairly close (much closer than at Bempton anyway). Follow the coastal path south of the large cafe.

Many thanks

Bob, just walk through the shop rear exit follow the path to the cliffs. You can walk left or right. I went last year the Gannets are in your face..Brill. Puffins etc on the rocks..bit far off.
Good luck, well worth the long drive.

Roy.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/datewithnature/146968-gannet-and-puffin-cruises

There are many viewpoints manned by volunteers at Bempton, but the hike to Staple Newk for the Gannets should be well worthwhile.

Flamborough North Landing usually provides many more views of Puffins than at Bempton, some of which can be fairly close (much closer than at Bempton anyway). Follow the coastal path south of the large cafe.

i used to think that about puffins, but it's not actually the case, the problem with the bempton puffins is there's less than flambrough and they don't tend to sit out much, if you happen to drop on a burrow, they can be very close. but it takes some time investment to work out where the burrows are. the north landing birds tend to congregate out in the open

I'm having a couple of days in the Bempton area, I just wondered if there were any other bird or nature reserves in the area. Someone mentioned Filey Brigg but I'm not sure what's there.

Mike

Hi Barry, not visited Filey Animal Park but I would think its more of a children's park. You will enjoy Bempton. I could not get this years, still recovering from a recently broken ankle. Perhaps you may get some other replies from BF members. Farne Islands are worth a visit, we had a cottage in Seahouses a few years ago.
Regards
Roy.

I'm having a couple of days in the Bempton area, I just wondered if there were any other bird or nature reserves in the area. Someone mentioned Filey Brigg but I'm not sure what's there.

Mike

Filey Brigg is the rocky outcrop that is revealed when the tide goes out. don't know what it's like at this time of year but try googling FBOG for some info. There is also Filey dams http://www.ywt.org.uk/reserves/filey-dams-nature-reserve again, not sure what there is there at this point.
I went to Filey last September and had a good day there as there were birds heading south to warmer climes.

Bempton is great, through the visitor centre watch for the tree sparrows on the feeders, once at the cliff edge (which is only 5mins away) you'll see lot's of Gannet, Fulmar, Kittiwake, Guillemot and Razorbill with the odd Puffin. Walk right for Gannets all along this edge but the main colony about 20mins walk, turn left for Puffins.
(Car park is free to members but £5 per car to non members.)
have a good day and hope the weathers kind.....keep an ey on the Roller as that's not too far away if it hangs about.

briansbirding.blogspot.co.uk

i,m off there thursday for 10 days return visit ,the cliffs are full of birds this time of year ,i have seen some close ups of puffins at flamborough to ,the whole area is also good for hunting barn owls etc . and always the chance of a rarity or two ,i got a burst of pics of a purple heron in flight at top hill low n/r last year .you will return once you have been,just added some shots to my flickr stream from last year if your interested

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back