• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bird of 2011 So Far (1 Viewer)

Scratch silly eagles and Merlins and stuff... saw a brilliant flock of ten Long-tailed Tits today! Last year I didn't see any here until autumn, so to have seen them so early in the year... mindblowing! They also happens to be my favorite birds, so I was very very happy indeed. o:)

Toss up between three Scaup or a water rail (water rail was about 8ft away from me!) - both at local patch this afternoon B :)

More Waxwings! Until last Thursday I had never seen one. This morning I was advised of a group on a local housing estate. The residents must be fed-up with people using bins and cameras outside their houses.

Pat

Water Rail at RSPB Strumpshaw - stayed out for about 10 minutes. Fantastic. One of those birds I've always wanted to see and haven't till now. Couldn't have had a better view. Sunday 2nd Jan about 3pm.

Last edited:
Highland Tinamou at the amazingly low elevation of 500 meters at Quebrada Gonzalez, Costa Rica. Too much rain at high elevations appears to have delayed flowering and fruiting of many trees which has in turn resulted in unprecendented movements of frugivores to lower elevations.

Alex, 10+ is a great number to see - were you at Caerhun?

I was a Llanbedr-y-Cenin, which is about a mile further on from Caerhun. Its a good place to see them and more so reliable. I remember there being 18+ last year from there during the harsh weather.

Cheers, Alex

Red Kite. Possibly the first to be seen in Co. Monaghan. Flew over the main N2 by-pass near Castleblayney at midday.

Si.

Streamer-tailed Tyrant today, at a wetland near home. Not particularly rare but well, the best so far. Haven't been out much.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back