• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bird of 2011 So Far (1 Viewer)

I did something I seldom do. I went out for a single species this weekend (Harlequin Duck) in Sachuest Rhode Island. First time for me to observe at length in the wild. I also had a couple of bonus birds thrown in. The Green-Tailed Towhee was a new one for me and one I enjoyed seeing. I also saw two Short Eared Owls which was a first for me on this side of the pond.

I did something I seldom do. I went out for a single species this weekend (Harlequin Duck) in Sachuest Rhode Island. First time for me to observe at length in the wild. I also had a couple of bonus birds thrown in. The Green-Tailed Towhee was a new one for me and one I enjoyed seeing. I also saw two Short Eared Owls which was a first for me on this side of the pond.

A Green-tailed Towhee in Rhode Island. That's a pretty special bird I would imagine!

Let's see if this runs the whole year: post your best bird of the year to date. Update when you see the next better bird.

I'll start with the male Bullfinch I saw on my lawn today.

Happy hunting!

Hmm if I'd seen this it would have been Black-throated Diver from the office on the 2nd of Jan, then Velvet Scoter last week from the front room.

Then my first twitch of the year (1/4 of a mile) to see an Avocet at Red Rocks, - a patch tick.

It's a choice between the eighteen (released) Cranes on the Somerset levels last tuesday, or the Hawfinch I found when tracking down (successfully) the 200 or so Waxwings in Romsey Hants on the 10th Jan.....

I expect this to change when I get to Spain next week.....

I live in the middle of town and can't birdwatch much, so my best is a measly Red-bellied Woodpecker, lol

Well, that's about my favorite woodpecker - though not rare, I think they are quite handsome... anyway, sure you'll have something more unusual in time.

My best bird so far was a group of three Chinese Grosbeaks - also not an unusual bird here, but so nice to see so close to home!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back