• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BEST option to the alphas (1 Viewer)

denco,

I see and understand..so if I had a firm budget of $1000.00 to spend on roof binocluars,
which model would you recommend for an eyeglass wearer and a IPD of 57.5mm.

My 57.5mm IPD really limits my options.....

James Holworth...

Did you even bother to read the allbino review on the Nikon HG 10x42, or do you just make sutff up??
It clearly states..."low in the centre, medium at the edge." NOT "significant." He states he can not find any flaws to this model.

"Cons: Nothing really comes to mind."

Fair enough. Could you just point out this quote, ''no detectable CA at all!'' as I can't find it anywhere in any of the reviews......thanks!:t:

In my opinion, the best option to the alpha binoculars is the Nikon Premier 8x42
or 10x42.
Amazing "alpha" like optics and build quality, Japanese made, and over $1400.00
less than Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss! And probably 95% close optically and fit and
finish.

I find it odd how these Nikon Premier roofs are not selling well at all.....any ideas why?

Probably because it's a Nikon, home of the worst sport optics marketing department known to mankind.

IMO there are more choices nowadays than ever before that compare very favorably to the "alpha" glass. Zen Ray Ed2, Meopta/Cabelas Euro, Leupold Gold ring HD, Bushnell Elite (not E2), Pentax ED, Steiner Preregrine, and Vortex Razor HD are a few that make the cut as compared to my SLC HD.

James,

I never put no detection CA at all in quotes!

Read his review again, out of the 53 binos on his list, the Nikon HG was the ONLY one
with NO flaws at all! The ONLY ONE!

jgraider,

Unfortunately, most of the binoculars you listed as alternatives to the Nikon do NOT work
for me with my close IPD of 57.5mm. Plus the Zen Rays are just sooo dang ugly, with that black bar.

Last edited:
Nikon has Monarch for mid price. Pentax has models that come in ED and non ED. The non ED is equivalent to Monarch in optics, more or less.

Pentax has no EDG type pricing.

jgraider,

Unfortunately, most of the binoculars you listed as alternatives to the Nikon do NOT work
for me with my close IPD of 57.5mm. Plus the Zen Rays are just sooo dang ugly, with that black bar.

Raptorbfl

I guess I continue to be confused for some reason. You say "the Zen Rays are just sooo dang ugly", but when you started these threads back in April, you were trying to decide between the Zen Ed2 and the Vortex Talon HD, and after getting some responses and determining that both work work on the IPD, you were leaning toward the Talons, as they "just look for rugged looking" What has all of a sudden made them so dang ugly?

I see you posted the following back in 2007 - "Whats the sexiest looking bin, roof or porro, under $500.00 that feels great in hands??"

From my perspective, I would suppose any bino being held by a Victoria's Secret model.

Jgraider suggested 7 binos to you, but you pretty much dismissed them out of hand as having larger than your required 57.5 IPD. It would seem that only the Bushnell Elite & Pentax ED have IPD's larger than your requirements, with most of the others between 54 -56mm.

Since we have been thru quite a few binos on many threads, I guess I am curious as to what isn't ugly and that you might consider sexy, and a better picture of what it is you are looking for?

tom

I am a Leica Ultravid HD owner but my significant other uses the Pentax DCF ED and we compare them all the time. I find the Pentax ED provides an excellent image. CA is non existant on the Pentax. Overall I rate the image as excellent.

You can find the Pentax DCF ED heavily discounted if you hunt around. It is worth checking if your looking for good glass from a known company that provides good service and a lifetime warranty.

If the ZEN ED is too ugly, be prepared, the Talon is fatter and uglier ;)! Personally I look through my binocular rather than at it.

EDIT: Maybe you do think the ED is ugly, beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder, but I just went and double checked my ZEN ED 2 10x43 and it has an IPD of 56mm. My notes have IPD measurements of one other 10x43 at 56mm and two 8x43 each at 56mm. My ZEN ED 2 7x 36 however is 57.5mm. Those with the 56mm IPD need the objrctive covers off so the barrels are bare nad they come close enough that the barrels nearly touch. I measured with an electronic digital caliper accurate to 0.001".

Last edited:
lilcrazy,

Well, admittedly, I have been all over the map and have a hard time making up my mind
on purchases. I have this bad tendency to over think things.

But, right now, my final choice will be either the Alpen Wings ED 10 x 42, or step up
to a refurbished Nikon Premier 10 x 42.

I really love the look and fit and finish and build quality of the Nikons, but remain a bit
concerned about CA that its said it suffers from.

I also wondering if the much cheaper Alpen Wings ED actually controls CA better the the
more expensive Nikons?

Lilcrazy...its kind of scary how you are actually going back and reading my old posts from 2007!? Why are you so concerned?

Last edited:
You can definitely drive yourself crazy overanalyzing specs and opinions you find online - so if you've got it narrowed down to these two why not just order both from someplace like Amazon, compare them at length from the comfort of your home, and keep the one you prefer and return the other?

lilcrazy,

Well, admittedly, I have been all over the map and have a hard time making up my mind
on purchases. I have this bad tendency to over think things.

But, right now, my final choice will be either the Alpen Wings ED 10 x 42, or step up
to a refurbished Nikon Premier 10 x 42.

I really love the look and fit and finish and build quality of the Nikons, but remain a bit
concerned about CA that its said it suffers from.

I also wondering if the much cheaper Alpen Wings ED actually controls CA better the the
more expensive Nikons?

Lilcrazy...its kind of scary how you are actually going back and reading my old posts from 2007!? Why are you so concerned?

Whats scary about it? You can see every post that every member has made. Just click on their avatar and then click on see previous posts. And I'm not concerned - merely amused, but not in a negative way.

I fully understand your indecision about trying to make sure that you are making the right choices, as well as the wisest use of your money. We all tend to go thru that, and at times it might feel like you are just chasing your tail, or swinging in the wind.

If you believe in binocular tests, then the 10x42 Wings ED is rated as having slightly better control of CA than the 10x42 Nikon HGL. There are many very good binos in the $250 to $400 range, and even some of the non ED glass models control CA very well. You might as well throw the 10x42 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in the mix as an ED model for only about $265 or so. Only you can decide between $400 or $800. I would call or go to the Audubon Plainsboro reserve, and the Wild Birds in Cherry Hill and see what they have and check them out. If you go to Alpens website and click on "contact us" and then click on "dealer locator" it will show you the nearest dealers based on your zip code. Based on my zip it shows Wild Birds in Wayne Pa, so the cherry Hill store may carry them as well.

tom

tom

Thanks, lilcrazy,

What idea of the IPD on the Bushnell Legends? Its a shame only a few maunufacturers
post the IPD's. I know Nikon, Vortex do.

My 10x42 Legend Ultra HD's measure 56mm. And if you are looking at the Legend Ultra HD's, you might want to look thru the 10x36 model as well. It is a little shorter and lighter. A great value for the $210 it can be had for.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back