• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird nested in a plant exposed to the sun with extreme heat, what should I do? (3 Viewers)

Hello, I have never posted here before but I am seeking help. At my house, there are two hanging plants on the front porch and we previously have had a bird nest in one.
We originally thought the nest would be fine, but being exposed to the sun in extreme heat ended up killing the baby birds. This was years ago, and ever since then my family looks for birds scoping these hanging plants out for any birds looking to build a nest. It seems one has gone right under our noses though, as we found a nest in one with two eggs already inside it. We do not want these baby birds to suffer in the heat, as it has already begun to get very warm. We aren't sure what to do though. Though the spot is exposed to the sun, it is also out of reach from the feral cats that roam around that could be a threat. We are not sure if relocating the plant with the nest in it will scare the mother off and abandon the eggs. We considered putting something in the plant to shade the nest, but there's the same concern of the mother bird being too scared to return. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!

I would leave well enough alone. You just never know what will happen

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum.

If you move the nest or try to shade it, you are likely to scare the parents away. It is also illegal to interfere with a nest which is being used.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back