• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Today this bird came flying over my house.. Unfortunately very height and without moving the wings at any time.. Just gliding over..

It looks like the underwings are light-brown or at least lighter on the front, than the back..

I honestly don't have any guess myself, except something rare, but quality of image is not good enough for me..

Can anyone give me an ID for this bird?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 54
Initial impression is LSE, although given the blurry and dark nature of the pictures (reminds me of my own efforts), I'm not sure it's possible to rule out confusion species or hybrids. The tail is a bit too short and the "fingers" seem a bit too distinct for Common Buzzard. Bill is too small for WTE.

Thanks for your input.. It was also my initial idea actually, but my limited experience with them and what seems to be a white/light area at the root of the tale, doesn't fit with my birdbook.. But they are in the area here from time to time, but sort of rare..

Can anyone else confirm the LSE?

I’ve never seen LSE, however the very short tail and OP’s description of the underwing does sound and look good, certainly doesn’t remind me of a Buteo species.

Cheers

Thanks Ken.. Yes, I'm pretty sure it isn't a Buteo in any way, since colors didn't fit at all, as you said..

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back