• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Cadiz Province (2 Viewers)

John Cantelo

I've decided to start a new thead on birds & birding in Cadiz province. My recent posting on this topic had a marginally misleading title since it introduced my new webpage/blog (see below). The new heading is less misleading! Hopefully, I pln to update folks on my regular visits to the area and any relevant info on the area. As always more info can be found in my blog/website and above all my detailed notes. Hope this proves useful!

Known Unknowns

Remember Donald Rumsfield’s famous comment “There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know”?

It caused some merriment at the time, but I’ve always felt this somewhat misplaced. OK, the prose is a bit tortured and strained, but in its essentials the phrase seems to me to distil something quite profound. It’s close to the spirit that has informed my exploration of Cadiz province.

The known knowns are places like the Bonanza Salinas – a site well covered in the guidebooks and thus a honey-pot for visiting birders. I know it’s always worth a good look and it regularly supports a good variety of waders, gulls, BoPs, etc.

Then there are those ‘known unknowns’ - it’s now widely understood that Long-legged Buzzard is now a regular visitor to the area. However, exactly how widespread and frequent it actually is remains somewhat obscure. With few observers, but widely scattered records is it actually less rare than supposed? I certainly make sure I check any passing Buzzards carefully!

Then there are the ‘unknown unknowns.’ I’ve stumbled across enough good sites to know that there must still be some little gems out there of which nobody’s aware. Take ‘Wood’s Pools’ for example. Where you ask? Well a few years ago a birding friend of mine, Stephen Wood, stayed in my house in Alcala. Naturally he, with his birding wife and another birding friend, decided to explore the Sanlucar/Bonanza area. In so doing, they told me, they took a wrong turn and came across a pool which played host to White-headed Duck. Unfortunately, directions were vague and, putting 2+2 together to make 5, I convinced myself that they’d somehow blundered round the back of Laguna de Tarelo. Steve, however, insisted it was somewhere else entirely so I called up the appropriate image from GoogleEarth and took a good look. It didn’t take long to find a couple of small pools just off the beaten track – less than 5 minutes from the main road. A quick click on the images of the place on GoogleEarth showed good shot of Little Bittern!

So next time I was out in Spain I investigated and (re)discovered the pools - a couple of small, flooded clay pits surrounded by a wasteland of ‘plasticos’. What the site lacked in size it gained in easily observed birdlife. There were 5-6 White-headed Duck at grippingly close range, numerous Great Reed Warblers shouted from the reeds, the odd (very odd!) Purple Swamphen clambered about and it proved to be just about the easiest place I’ve found to see Little Bittern. With the White-headed Ducks now proving elusive at nearby Laguna de Tarelo, this is now my essential quick stop in the area for this species. I'vyet to find anywhere where they can be so easily observed and at such close range. To Steve’s chagrin, though, I call ‘em ‘Bonanza Pools’ which makes better geographical sense. Not a place to spend the day, but a terrific quick stop.

So where does this leave those ‘unknown unknowns’? Well, even after six years, every time I’m out in Cadiz Province I find somewhere new and interesting. Have I found them all? Certainly not! So next time you venture out to the area - or elsewhere - don’t be scared to venture ‘off piste’ – go out and try to find sites that still elude me .... and everyone else!

For more details of this site see the web address below,

Good birding,

John

Attachments

• Ruddy Duck 1.JPG
    Ruddy Duck 1.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Roger Willco John, there are some pools/marsh below the Montenmedio Golf Course (near Vejer), which may well be on your guide but worth a look if you're trying to see the Bald Ibis on the practice area (saw 5 there in January).

I've only seen the Bald Ibis on the practice area! When you say 'below' the golf course i take it you mean towards Barbate. I've scouted round the back there a couple of times but don't recall any pools/marsh (unless you mean way over towards Barbate). Any details/directions would be gratefully received!

I think I sent you an older draft of my notes Jon, do PM me if you'd like the latest version!

Attachments

• Alcala August 2009 - 2 070.jpg
    Alcala August 2009 - 2 070.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 115
I've only seen the Bald Ibis on the practice area! When you say 'below' the golf course i take it you mean towards Barbate. I've scouted round the back there a couple of times but don't recall any pools/marsh (unless you mean way over towards Barbate). Any details/directions would be gratefully received!

I think I sent you an older draft of my notes Jon, do PM me if you'd like the latest version!

In Montenmedio if you turn right at the obvious T junction where the equestrian centre is and follow that dirt track downhill, you eventually come into the valley down to Barbate. I will admit I didn't get that far but a friend has been there several times and seen a good range of species - better after a wet period when there's some standing water, so winter/spring.

The record of Bald Ibis was on the far end of the practice area and in amongst the surrounding oak trees. We saw a few Little Owls there too.

Exploring the Llanos de Libar (near Ronda)
OK I'm cheating - this fabulous site is in Malaga province, but it's simply irresistible? Well, first of all, the scenery is superb. The Llanos de Libar track allows access to open pasture, oak woodlands limestone ‘pavements’ and craggy cliffs.. Better still you can access the more montane habitats without walking. The limestone too hosts numerous attractive flowers including peonies and a variety of orchids. But it’s the birds that attract!

Take the minor road into the village as you arrive from the north (it’s signposted for the Refugio de Libar). Look out for the turning on the right about 400m further on. Take this track to the first stop, a white building to the left. There’s plenty else to see in the form of Rock Buntings, Blue Rock Trush, Sardinian Warblers, Woodchat Shrike (a common bird in the valley), but the star here is usually Bonelli’s Eagle. Drive a little further and the road dips down to a rocky field behind the village. This field often has Black Redstart and Thekla Lark. En route, don’t forget to pause to look at the small pool besides the track and above the field since it always attracts a variety of small birds.

Continue up to a grassy ‘saddle’ surrounded by rocky slopes. Rock Sparrow, Black Redstart, Black-eared (summer) and Black Wheatear (resident) are often present. In late autumn and winter the rocks hide Alpine Accentor and Ring Ousel! Here too you may have Griffon Vulture, Short-toed or Booted Eagle drifting over.

Walk (or drive) up to where the track bends to the right. This is often worth it, and not just for the welcoming shade, as Orphean Warblers sing from the scattered trees and both Dartford Warblers are possible in the scrub. Just beyond this point the track unexpectedly drops down to a small area of flat, open arable land. There’s rarely much to see here so continue on into the oak woodlands beyond. Look out for the black pigs here!

The oak woods hold plenty of Bonelli’s Warblers, Firecrests and Mistle Thrushes plus the odd Subalpine Warbler and Common Redstart. Climbing up further, you find yet another surprise as the woods suddenly give way to an area of flat open pasture. Park here and explore. Here you’ll probably hear the distant nasal clatter of Red-billed Chough, but look out too for both Cirl Bunting and Iberian Grey Shrike. If you’re on foot you can continue down to the village of Cortes de la Frontera where I gather you can get a taxi to take you back to Montejaque.

I’m indebted to Peter Jones (see www.spanishbirds.com) for showing me the place – one of his regular haunts. As followers of his posts here on BF Peter (‘Black Wheatear) has now had Wallcreeper here in several winters so if visiting in that season watch the cliff faces very carefully!

For an extended version of this post (inc. map & photos none of which, curiously, want to upload up here today!) see my web/blog,

Last edited:
Exploring the Llanos de Libar (near Ronda)
OK I'm cheating - this fabulous site is in Malaga province, but it's simply irresistible? Well, first of all, the scenery is superb. The Llanos de Libar track allows access to open pasture, oak woodlands limestone ‘pavements’ and craggy cliffs.. Better still you can access the more montane habitats without walking. The limestone too hosts numerous attractive flowers including peonies and a variety of orchids. But it’s the birds that attract!

Take the minor road into the village as you arrive from the north (it’s signposted for the Refugio de Libar). Look out for the turning on the right about 400m further on. Take this track to the first stop, a white building to the left. There’s plenty else to see in the form of Rock Buntings, Blue Rock Trush, Sardinian Warblers, Woodchat Shrike (a common bird in the valley), but the star here is usually Bonelli’s Eagle. Drive a little further and the road dips down to a rocky field behind the village. This field often has Black Redstart and Thekla Lark. En route, don’t forget to pause to look at the small pool besides the track and above the field since it always attracts a variety of small birds.

Continue up to a grassy ‘saddle’ surrounded by rocky slopes. Rock Sparrow, Black Redstart, Black-eared (summer) and Black Wheatear (resident) are often present. In late autumn and winter the rocks hide Alpine Accentor and Ring Ousel! Here too you may have Griffon Vulture, Short-toed or Booted Eagle drifting over.

Walk (or drive) up to where the track bends to the right. This is often worth it, and not just for the welcoming shade, as Orphean Warblers sing from the scattered trees and both Dartford Warblers are possible in the scrub. Just beyond this point the track unexpectedly drops down to a small area of flat, open arable land. There’s rarely much to see here so continue on into the oak woodlands beyond. Look out for the black pigs here!

The oak woods hold plenty of Bonelli’s Warblers, Firecrests and Mistle Thrushes plus the odd Subalpine Warbler and Common Redstart. Climbing up further, you find yet another surprise as the woods suddenly give way to an area of flat open pasture. Park here and explore. Here you’ll probably hear the distant nasal clatter of Red-billed Chough, but look out too for both Cirl Bunting and Iberian Grey Shrike. If you’re on foot you can continue down to the village of Cortes de la Frontera where I gather you can get a taxi to take you back to Montejaque.

I’m indebted to Peter Jones (see www.spanishbirds.com) for showing me the place – one of his regular haunts. As followers of his posts here on BF Peter (‘Black Wheatear) has now had Wallcreeper here in several winters so if visiting in that season watch the cliff faces very carefully!

For an extended version of this post (inc. map & photos none of which, curiously, want to upload up here today!) see my web/blog,

I saw Spectacled Warbler there last spring, and in previous years have heard both Eagle and Scops Owl. A truly lovely place for a picnic...with birds!

It's also good for Ibex.

Hi Jon,

I know Spectacled Warblers are around in the valley, but I've not yet managed to see one there. I've not had Eagle or Scops Owl either, but then I've not been there late in the day so I wouldn't really expect to. (Shamefully, I've not yet had Scops Owl at all in the area; Alcala de los Gazules hasn't got them and I've never seriously tried to look anywhere else. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!) You're right about it being a great place for a picnic - absolutely idylic!

None of my photos want to upload, but I've now managed to add a map of the area (from my notes) which may help folks to find the place; labels - i) = white building, ii) = stony field, iii) = grassy 'saddle', iv) area for Orphean, v) = woods & vi) = Refugio de Libar (see notes above) ,

Attachments

• Llanos de Libar.jpg
    Llanos de Libar.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Hi John, I haven't got your notes to hand today but which map would you recommend for this area?

Trying to organise a September visit...with any luck.

John.

Hi John,

the best map is published by the Junta de Andalucia called, not surprisingly, 'Sierra de Grazalema' (Pub: 2005. Scale -1:10,000). I'll probably be out in Alcala in early September .... possibly staying on when Liz goes home for some birding. I'm sure I'll have room for one (or two) more if it's a birding trip rather than a family jaunt that you're planning!

You never know, I may take you up on that. I have no family so it's always only me and I am no trouble ;)

I was planning on the Tarifa area for the raptor passage.... If only I knew this area as well as I know Israel :t:

Many thanks.

John.

You never know, I may take you up on that. I have no family so it's always only me and I am no trouble ;)

I was planning on the Tarifa area for the raptor passage.... If only I knew this area as well as I know Israel :t:

Many thanks.

John.

Tarifa only about an hour from Alcala and you don't have to get there ridiculously early for the BoP passge. You might be "no trouble", but you've not met me have you ..... ?

Black-winged Kite
When, at the tail end of the 1960s, I first visited Spain, Black-winged Kite was one of the most mysterious and little known birds of Europe. It was even seriously debated whether it regularly bred in Europe at all: “it is not at all certain that it breeds regularly in Europe” (Voous 1960). Even MD England’s famous series of photos taken in Portugal in the early 1960s only demonstrated that breeding took place, not how frequently it occurred. That England’s birds were close to the only other ‘recent’ (1944!) proof of breeding confirmed the species’ apparent extreme rarity in Europe. As late as 1975 a book based on a report for the International Bird Council of Europe (‘Threatened Birds of Europe’ by Robert Hudson) described the species status thus – “it is found with certainty only in …. Ribatejo province (Portugal) ……. there are probably only 1-5 pairs …. it is not entirely certain that the species nests there every year ….. there is the possibility that a pair or two may nest (irregularly) in Western Spain.” Only five years later, though, the relevant volume of the BWP stated that it was ‘probably less rare than previously thought’ and that there were ‘perhaps 30-50 pairs’ in Portugal whilst in Spain there were ‘at least 5-10 pairs with perhaps up to 100 pairs …”

Yet almost as Hudson's words were written the species began a remarkable expansion in numbers. Although there had been isolated records previously, Spain was colonised in the mid-1970s with Extremadura, rather than Portugal, quickly becoming the centre of the population. The Spanish atlas (1998-2002) found it to be widely, if thinly, distributed in western Spain and suggested a population of 500-1000 pairs. Given that Black-winged Kite can be an elusive and is a largely crepuscular species, it seems to me that the population is likely to be even higher and that 1000 pairs is now likely to be a minimum.

Given the proximity of the Moroccan population, it is surprising that the species only wintered here (on La Janda) as recently as 1987 and first bred in 1995. My recent experience in Cadiz province certainly suggests that Black-winged Kite is now a widespread and fairly common species in suitable habitats in the area. They are frequent in open farmland dotted with trees, but absent from mountainous areas to the west, from intensively farmed 'sherry-culture' areas to the north west of Jerez plus all built up areas. It is one of the few raptors missing from my 'terrace list' although I've seen it within sight of the village. By 2009 there were, I was told, “at least 35 pairs” in 2009. However, Stephen Daly reports in his ever excellent blog (http://andalucianguides.blogspot.com) that there are about 20 pairs in the “La Janda area” and possibly 100 pairs in the province. My distribution map for the pecies in Cadiz province (see below) is based partly on personal observations and a projection based on suitable habitat - given how I seem to find them in new areas every time i visit, I don't think it's too inaccurate!

This seems to accord more with my recent experience. A careful search of any of the lowland habitats in an arc from La Janda across to Medina Sidonia, Laguna de Medina, Arcos de la Frontera and on to Espera should ensure a sighting or two. I’ve found the Cantarranas/Los Naveros/La Janda area to be the best bet, but they can be found anywhere with the required mix of open farmland dotted with a few trees. Wintering birds on La Janda have risen from 6 birds (2002) to up to c40 (2008). This reflects the situation in nearby Huelva province on the Coto Donana where Black-shouldered Kites first bred in 2003 and where there are now c15 pairs. So how many pairs are there in Spain? That “1000 pairs”, unthinkable only a few decades ago, looks pessimistic and I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t twice that number. The conventional explanation of this dynamic spread is the deforestation of light woodland (dhesa), but many areas that seem not to have been radically changed have also witnessed a sharp increase.

From being ultra-rare on a European scale Black-winged Kite is now being touted as a possible vagrant to Britain. It’s now been recorded in Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Germany, Italy, the Czech Republic and Austria, but it was a pair that held territory just over the Channel in France (Normandy) in 1994 that really put it on the “rarities radar”. Yet the colonisation of the Cadiz area appears to come from the north rather than south as reports of birds coming across the Straits (despite careful watching in recent years) are extremely unusual. Perhaps the Channel will be enough of a deterrent to keep this bird off the UK list!

(As always, see my blog for a more detailed version of this note)

Attachments

• Cadiz B-w Kite Map.png
    Cadiz B-w Kite Map.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi Jon,

I know Spectacled Warblers are around in the valley, but I've not yet managed to see one there. I've not had Eagle or Scops Owl either, but then I've not been there late in the day so I wouldn't really expect to. (Shamefully, I've not yet had Scops Owl at all in the area; Alcala de los Gazules hasn't got them and I've never seriously tried to look anywhere else. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!) You're right about it being a great place for a picnic - absolutely idylic!

None of my photos want to upload, but I've now managed to add a map of the area (from my notes) which may help folks to find the place; labels - i) = white building, ii) = stony field, iii) = grassy 'saddle', iv) area for Orphean, v) = woods & vi) = Refugio de Libar (see notes above) ,

John,

Been away, so only found this today. The Spectacled Warblers were on the right just after the top of the hill overlooking the Karst scenery (the picnic spot!) Both Owls were calling (on different dates!) in the woods behind the picnic spot, during the day! Never saw either.
Have heard Scops on the back road from Jimena to Tesorillo. Stop and listen: at one point I could hear at least 6! If you can't hear any try imitating the call..... As for seeing them.....

Thanks, Jon. Trouble is the Jimena area is a bit distant from Alcala - particularly as I'd have to stay fairly late to hear them. I've not looked too far afield as I'm convinced that there must be some locally, but desperation might tempt me. Oddly enough I saw one in the Alpujarras on the third or fourth time I heard them there,

Terrace temptations
A small confession. My copious notes on birding in this area (which some here may have) actually omits my favourite birding site. It’s one where I spend most of my time birding when out in Spain and where I’ve seen a number of terrific birds. In my defence, I should add that it’s both very small site and strictly private. Also, although you can often get superb views of birds, the number and variety of species seen is often limited. So where is this little gem? Well, actually it’s the terrace of my house in Alcala de los Gazules!

Naturally, for me the big advantage is that it’s less than 10 paces to the dozen or so steps up to the terrace from my bed. Indolence has always been my strong suit as a birder, so every morning I’m up along the corridor and up those steps to view the horizon. In the morning the terrace is in shade which makes for ideal viewing conditions (light behind me and blissfully cool) which last until about 1PM. It’s a great place to have breakfast and couldn’t be more convenient for refreshing cuppas or cooling beers. Sunsets too are spectacular. However, it’s the almost continual passage of birds of prey that make the place such an irresistible temptation …..

Honey Buzzard – whilst birds occasionally slip over the terrace at very low altitude, Honeys usually drift over at great height. Not infrequently the first I know of their passage is when I scope a raptor and realise there’s a flotilla of high flying HBs above it. In early September small flocks drop into the wooded hillside opposite to roost then to emerge gradually, giving better views, the following morning. Unfortunately, I’ve never been there for peak spring migration (first half of May) – something I hope to remedy this year. I’m constantly amazed at just how variable they can be.
Griffon Vulture – with a large roost just a few km away in the Molinos valley, it’s not so surprising that numbers seen from the terrace can often run into hundreds. Typically that start to appear around 10:00 AM and I think my highest count is of 500+ birds. However, my most memorable sighting was of a tight flock of 200+ circling just above the house about 8:00 AM one misty morning. One bird even passed along the street at below terrace height.
Egyptian Vulture – whilst I suspect a pair may breed locally in the Molinos valley, ‘gypies are usually seen only on passage with the earliest turning up in mid-February with the return passage peaking in early September. I usually find them when checking a spiral of Griffons and have had as many as 5 in one group. Some moulting juvenile birds have a very peculiar tail shape almost reminiscent of a Pom Skua!
Osprey – with 30+ birds wintering in Cadiz Bay and newly established breeding birds on nearby Embalse de Barbate, this species has the potential of turning up at any time. However they most frequently come over in spring (late March/early April). High flying birds can often cause some confusion until their distinctive shape is recognised.
Golden Eagle – the nearest breeding birds are in Grazalema, but they are occasionally seen in the Alcornocales (esp. in winter). I’ve had a number of ‘Aquila sp’ from the terrace, but only one, a subadult Golden Eagle in April, that could be safely identified.
Short-toed Eagle – another favourite that can be very easy to see from the terrace. I usually miss the spring migration peak, but there are still plenty around in early April whilst they can be even more numerous in late September. It’s not unusual to see 20-30 birds passing over in a morning. It’s astonishing to witness the height from which they sometimes hunt, birds drop down from an impossible altitude to rise with some juicy serpentine titbit! A pair usually breeds across the valley in the neighbouring hills.
Booted Eagle – buzzard-sized it may be, but is there a more handsome eagle than the dandyish pale morph Booted? A couple of pairs breed across the valley and never disappoint in entertainment value. Numbers peak in early March and early September and tend to be a little commoner than Short-toed. The dark birds can look very much like Buzzards, but with experience shape and flight action is distinctive even when plumage details are obscure. At certain angles, when the chest looks white but the wings black, they can be mistaken for Bonelli’s Eagle (which I’ve not yet seen over the house)
Red Kite – another species that I regularly see on migration although they’re much scarcer than Black Kite and I’ve never had more than one or two in a day. Seeing them is always a treat.
Black Kite – although the house looks over towards Medina Sidonia and thus what I call “Black Kite alley”, I see rather fewer than might be expected. During periods of migration, large numbers of birds – flocks hundreds strong – often drop down to roost along the A381 near Medina. Still larger numbers dot the fields at la Janda, but on such days I generally see relatively few birds, usually no more than a hundred or so. For some reason Black Kites seem to avoid the mountains and funnel off a few km to the west
Marsh Harrier – not surprisingly since the terrace looks out over rough pasture and lightly wooded hills I see relatively few Marsh Harriers. They go over high and purposefully so can cause a little confusion now and then! It can require a decent look to exclude both Black Kite and dark morph Booted.
Montagu’s Harrier – these enchanting harriers float over mainly in April and August. Determined high flying migrants can look disconcertingly like falcons – a confusion not helped by the odd melanistic bird.
Common Buzzard – a pair usually breeds on the hills opposite, but they never seem as obvious in the area as Booted Eagles.
Sparrowhawk – I see far fewer Sparrowhawks here than I do in the UK. The birds I do see generally appear during passage. Any birds that approach the house in spring and summer invariably get mobbed by the Lesser Kestrels.
Goshawk – I’ve had several big accipters zap down the valley and I’ve definitely seen Gos a couple of times in the Alcornocales, but only one definite record from the house. This was a big juvenile bird with honey coloured underparts decorated with bold ‘chocolate droplets.’ It really upset the local lesser kestrels as it barged through them at great speed!
Kestrel – I’ve seen rather few Kestrels from the terrace. Having so many Lesser Kestrels about, despite their similarity, actually helps more than it hinders since they always mob Kestrels ferociously! I’m sure that this is what keeps them away from ‘identifiable airspace’!
Lesser Kestrels - these, my favourite falcons, are a constant delight. They nest next to the house and play in the skies above the terrace. In early spring I regularly see 60+ birds above the house and my maximum count is of 100+ birds. By August only a handful return to the village to roost in the evenings, but one or two stay through the winter. The return early in mid-February. I’ll do a post exclusively on these birds anon
Hobby – whilst I suspect odd birds may winter in the south, I only see this species as a passage migrant. I’ve not seen many but I’ve not been around for their autumnal peak in October.
Peregrine – just like at home in Canterbury, this is a species I regularly see going over at a rate of knots. A or two probably breed in the Molinos valley. The Lessers don’t like them, but are less inclined to ‘engage with them’ as they will with Sparrowhawks!
Merlin – a thinly spread wintering bird on coastal marshes, luckily, I had one bird go over in early spring

In the last five years I’ve had 19 species which isn’t bad considering I’ve not been there for some peak migration periods (esp. autumn). My best one-day total was one spring when I saw hundreds of birds of 12 species despite the arrival of guests curtailing my efforts.

So what’s missing? The worst omission is Hen Harrier a single example of which I had fly over my head when I was about 100m from the house. As it must have been visible from the terrace, I’m tempted to tick it! Then there’s Ruppell’s Vulture. The second record for Spain was found in the parish, perhaps I should have seen one by now. I have indeed seen ‘probable’ which that passed quickly over the house one August. I hadn’t seen the species then and, with hindsight, I’m pretty sure it was one. It’s about time too that those packs of Griffons attracted the odd Black Vulture, but, sadly, Lammergeier looks far too unlikely. I’ve seen Bonelli’s Eagle in the nearby Molinos valley several times, but never from the terrace. I’ve also seen Spanish Imperial Eagle within 15km of the village so that’s another distinct possibility. My most eagerly anticipated bird is, perhaps, Black-winged Kite. I’ve actually seen one less than 10km from the house and the open lightly wooded hillside opposite looks ideal for the species … Other raptors are possible, but perhaps rather unlikely. It was once rumoured that Lanner bred in the Alcornocales and I’ve now two elsewhere in Cadiz, but they remain pretty scarce. Long-legged Buzzard is a recent colonist to the area, but thestill elude me. Eleonora’s Falcon is pretty regular in autumn, but most are found at coastal sites. Red-footed Falcon would seem even more unlikely, but a Spanish birder (the only one in the village I think!) has seen one over the village. So it’s not a matter whether I’ll finally top the 20 BoPs mark for the terrace, but when!

So I think you can see the attraction of lethargy. Sitting on the terrace and seeing what goes over has probably stopped me from exploring other sites more thoroughly and has certainly meant that I’ve been slow to catch up with some local species. But given what I have seen, it’s not something I regret. Naturally, it’s not just the birds of prey that keep me watching. During migration times, kettles of White Stork not infrequently enliven the day and smaller groups of Black Stork (up to 40+) sometimes add a little spice. Most swifts turn out to be Common, but there’s usually a handful of Pallids too whilst at times Alpine Swift charge over in their hundreds. Naturally I always wistfully keep an eye out for a White-rumped or a Little Swift!

Of course, if I’m at home you’re cordially invited to join me. One spring a few years back an English birder staying in the village visited us to get a good view of the Lesser Kestrels. Within minutes a carload of four Madrileno birders pulled up outside the house to watch the birds and were invited up for a cold beer. A few minutes later another carload of their mates arrived and joined us. So there were 10 of us sipping beer and watching the birds – a great moment! So if you provide the beer I can provide the birds!

A slightly longer version of this post with a few more photos (which were too large to post here) can be seen on my blog (see below). The photos below illustrate a) the pain and suffering I had to undergo to bring you this report, b) about 30% of the view and c) a Griffon passing by just beyond the terrace. And, yes, I know I'm a lucky blighter!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 18 - terrace view 2.jpg
    18 - terrace view 2.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Griffon 3.jpg
    Griffon 3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I also like the Birds of Prey over my house in Jimena. I think my score is also 19! Missed Golden Eagle last year when two were seen over the castle while I was in the village...
Black-shouldered Kite were resident just over the hill for a couple of years I but haven't recorded one from the house, although another resident has! Black Vulture I see every year, and Ruppells I have seen not far away. One record of Bonelli's eagle. Caught up with Goshawk last year. Need Merlin.

Thanks for the input, Jon. I'm interested to hear about the BW Kite in your area as it confirms the slightly speculative '?' on my map for that species in an earlier post. Like BW Kite, I suspect seeing a Black Vulture is only a matter of time particularly since I can now get out there a little more often. Of course, now that I know you've also had 19 species I'm even more tempted to count that Hen Harrier!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back