• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (5 Viewers)

Re. the Black Redstart on Walton Hill on the 20 April 2016

Whist downloading my distant photos of the Ouzels, I noticed that I had accidentally captured the Black Redstart on the post by the Ouzels.

Phil, are these heavily cropped pics clear enough to confirm? as Sean Cole casts doubt/

Dick

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF3423.JPG
    New_1_DSCF3423.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 185
  • New_1_New_1_DSCF3423.JPG
    New_1_New_1_DSCF3423.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 180
Black Redstart. Female
No doubt. I think it was just the strong sunlight and the excellent views of a normally skulking secretive bird.
Perfect Guide book plumage and views alongside Common cousin. Cracking little bird was investigating rabbit burrows and chasing Robins. I was there from 07:30 Wednesday morning. It was the encore to a perfect cast of Spring migrants.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone is agreed that it's a Black Redstart. Cracking run of form for Walton Hill with a continously stream of Ring Ouzel (max 7 at any one time), Redstart, Black Redstart and now the Hoopoe just down the road

Good views of the Hoopoe yesterday afternoon. A bit tricky to get in the right position to view through the hedgerow but once on it, the bird showed really well.

Nice to see a (fairly) late adult Hobby this morning on my way to work - it flew low over Jennet Tree Lane, Deblins Green (near Malvern) - right in front of my car - great views.

Still present this morning in ditch on east side of south lak.

No sight or sound in almost four hours to 3 p.m. Few still on site when I left, but not heard anything further. Did see Siberian Chiffchaff about 2.15 just beyond the 'corner' of the ditch/hedgerow

Stayed on to the end in the bitter cold but happy to confirm that the Dusky Warbler was still present - heard calling and seen briefly prior to going to roost this evening

Only the one bird tonight but in the same area to where it roosted last night mate. The area 100 metres or so from where we were chatting if that makes sense - some good cover as a bit more overgrown at the back.

Sorry we had to cut things short by the way - the Mrs was pointing out a Treecreeper!

Be interesting to see the wing formula of this particular individual, as I believe this is the first ever inland record - to rule out the possibility of a hybrid Common Redstart x Black Redstart. Not suggesting for one minute that it's a hybrid but has to be discounted nonetheless.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see the wing formula of this particular individual, as I believe this is the first ever inland record - to rule out the possibility of a hybrid Common Redstart x Black Redstart. Not suggesting for one minute that it's a hybrid but has to be discounted nonetheless.

Unfortunately only seen at dusk yesterday and not at all today - some true record shots on Worcester Birding which look fine to me based on the limited detail that can be ascertained. Observers also very experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back