• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Cracking good pictures Emma, they really do the wood justice. I find images of woods so difficult, the contrast is so great and the trees go so high and wide (!) that my pictures never seem to convey the spirit of the places - yours do! I live so close and visit so seldom.

The local branch (Stourbridge) of the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust are considering a beginners intro to the Dawn Chorus next year which I may lead or share. We have done them there before and they are good fun.

Cracking good pictures Emma, they really do the wood justice. I find images of woods so difficult, the contrast is so great and the trees go so high and wide (!) that my pictures never seem to convey the spirit of the places - yours do! I live so close and visit so seldom.

The local branch (Stourbridge) of the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust are considering a beginners intro to the Dawn Chorus next year which I may lead or share. We have done them there before and they are good fun.

Thank you for comments Roger, it was a case of being in the right place with the right light for the pictures!

The wood was alive with birdsong on our Sunday afternoon walk so I can imagine that the wood is bursting with song first thing in the morning, if WWT do arrange a Dawn Chorus walk next year please let me know.

Spent a pleasant couple of hours walking in Bunkers Hill Wood this afternoon. Highlight species were Redwings, Blackcap, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Buzzard perched high on a pylon beyond the paddocks.

Attachments

• P1090807 [].JPG
    P1090807 [].JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1090808 [].JPG
    P1090808 [].JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P1090815 [].JPG
    P1090815 [].JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 70
Crossed The Footbridge at Arley on Friday afternoon and walked along the west bank back towards Trimply for a mile or so before retracing my steps to the Car.

Out bound Greenwoodpecker heard, Greater Spotted seen near the railway bridge. Odd looking goose which my best guess is a Greylag, was with some mallards on the east bank, legs a bit orange, wandered if pure Grelag, or some degree of Hybrid ? also back of neck had a well defined browner stripe running its lengh ...? any suggestions ?

On return reasonable flock of Blue/Great/Longtailed tits with One Coal tit noted and one Gold Crest

A Raven was over the river, working up and down and quite vocal. Couple of Buzzards were about.

An Owl was heard ( around 15.30hrs) and I was falling over pheasants !! Got back to car just before rain started. Will visit again soon , perhaps a bit further north as I have read there is Goosander on this stretch. If anyone has any thoughts on the Goose, sorry no picture, but was most like a grelag in my novice oppinion.

Last edited:
The brown stripe could be a Swan Goose. Lots of wild geese moving through so worth checking any group of canadas or Greylag for Whitefronts etc. 2 still with Greylags at Upper Bittell.

Thank you Trevor

Just googled some images of swan goose ( must admit this is new to me) but the brown stripe is exactly as I saw it but the bill as well as the legs were orange...http://www.knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/5/58/Swan.goose.arp.750pix.jpg

Obviously I have no image to fall back on, it was most like a greylag, with that type of stripe and the orange at either end. Being relatively new to birding, I was not expecting something leftfield, so feel a bit shakey on this

Mark

Last edited:
Thank you Trevor

Just googled some images of swan goose ( must admit this is new to me) but the brown stripe is exactly as I saw it but the bill as well as the legs were orange...http://www.knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/5/58/Swan.goose.arp.750pix.jpg

Obviously I have no image to fall back on, it was most like a greylag, with that type of stripe and the orange at either end. Being relatively new to birding, I was not expecting something leftfield, so feel a bit shakey on this

Mark

A hybrid Swan Goose x Greylag could look the same just with orange bare parts

http://www.gobirding.eu/Images/Geese/Hybrids/hybrid%20Chinese%20Swan%20Goose%20x%20Greylag%20Goose%20(pres),%20Abberton%20Reservoir,%2021-Aug-04%20L.JPG

Thanks for that,

Out of interest would this count as an addition to ones 'lifelist' ?? or are these types of peculiar hybrids generally not counted ?

Thanks

Thread can't be going to pot when we get treated to such cracking images as those of the Lapland bunting - surely that was yours, Duck Pond, on the Birdguides 'Notable Photographs of the Week' - very well deserved. Why has no one else commented until now?

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the compliments - yes, it was me on BG. I post the images on a number of sites.

A few more for this thread from Feckenham Wylde Moor, from Sunday.

Cheers,

Pete.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for that,

Out of interest would this count as an addition to ones 'lifelist' ?? or are these types of peculiar hybrids generally not counted ?

Thanks

I personally wouldn't count it as a lifer because, its probably an escape or not a full species. But no one can tell you what you can or can't tick. You could always add it to your life list as 'Farm Yard Goose' or 'Domestic Goose' or something along those lines.

Thanks Tim, I did not really understand its origin before,but now I understand better it will just go in my records as a side note. I am thankful for your help in solving the mystery ( wouldn't want to make compiling that list too easy eh ;)

BW

Mark

A few more for this thread from Feckenham Wylde Moor, from Sunday.

There seem to have been a lot of kingfisher action photos recently - most of them stunning 'captures' but I just love the light on this one - so natural and apparently simple - but it does a great job as an image of the bird.

Tim

Please ask the Mods to change the name of this thread to Birding in Worcestershire (rather than Worcester).

Tim

Please ask the Mods to change the name of this thread to Birding in Worcestershire (rather than Worcester).

Sorry, I guess I'm being rather slow this morning: I can't decide whether this is a serious suggestion or whether us recent posters are getting a rap over the knuckles.

I agree that thread seems to have moved towards being a generalised Worcestershire thread. Would it be better to have separate threads for all the local areas and leave this one to the City itself?

This thread is meant to cover the whole of Worcestershire which is what I mean by Worcester but Delia will soon change the title to make it clear.

Sorry, I guess I'm being rather slow this morning: I can't decide whether this is a serious suggestion or whether us recent posters are getting a rap over the knuckles.

I agree that thread seems to have moved towards being a generalised Worcestershire thread. Would it be better to have separate threads for all the local areas and leave this one to the City itself?

No, sorry Roger that wasn't and never would be my intention. The thread has always been used as a County reporting area (including the fair City). The suggested title change is something I'd been meaning to request for ages, but have only just got 'round to it.

Sy

For anybody who may be interested, a feral EMPORER GOOSE has been touring north worcester (shire) recently, first being found at captains pool stourport where it was presant a few days then dissapeared, then reappeared at lickhill, stourport (on my local patch) it again went missing and was later found at grimley new workings, ok feral stuff and everything but it shows goose movements around the county...............
and talking about geese
4 WHITE FRONTED GOOSE at upper bittel res, today, viewed quite well, (well its better views than slimbrige), 21 wigeon, teal 2 shoveler and an adult yellow legged gull (which may have roosted at upton warren, (check out that thread for details)) expect more posting of my county birding over the next week trying to fit quite a bit in
MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back