• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (2 Viewers)

Hi Matt,

Sounds like it could be the same bird. The Grimley bird had a small white gap in the black tail band, worn wing markings and a fairly distinctive dusky nape/rear crown. It was last seen at Grimley at c10.30am then flew off SE but it had done that earlier and returned. There were no further reports from there but then one was at Throckmorton for just 3 minutes to 1.21pm when it flew off NE.

May be it was heading back towards Earlswood.......

Craig Reed also had a first-winter at Earlswood on the 10th.

Brian

Thanks Brian :t:. Another birder has also reported seeing a 1w Little Gull at Earlswood on the 18th (day before me), so does make it seem even more likely to be the same bird seen yesterday. I too saw the 1w that Craig found on 10th but unfortunately we only saw it in fading light, though impression I got was that this first bird was a different, neater-plumaged individual. It's times like this I wish I had a DSLR.
Matt

Hi. Whilst I've been really enjoying my first full year visiting Upton Warren weekly I wondered if any forum members can recommend any other great places in Worcestershire. I've seen Blakedown listed in a few places, is there a reserve there ?

I'm currently based in Redditch.

Many thanks

Hi. Whilst I've been really enjoying my first full year visiting Upton Warren weekly I wondered if any forum members can recommend any other great places in Worcestershire. I've seen Blakedown listed in a few places, is there a reserve there ?

Many thanks

Upton is THE place but other sites well worth a visit include the various pits at Grimley (north of Worcester), the Wyre Forest (esp Dowles Brook and the old railway line), Bittell Res (better if you have a scope) and the Malverns and Clent Hills (best in spring and autumn early in the day before they are covered with walkers).

Thank you Phil for your reply. Have been following the spottings with interest. I think my trouble at the moment is that I'm still very much of a novice and struggle with the smaller lesson common birds. (less common for me that is).

Thank you Phil for your reply. Have been following the spottings with interest. I think my trouble at the moment is that I'm still very much of a novice and struggle with the smaller lesson common birds. (less common for me that is).

Upton is therefore a good place as the hides will allow you time to sit and study the birds in detail. The Wyre Forest is a good place to meander and take your time to see a good variety of species (woodpeckers, tits and finches in winter; warblers, tree pipit, redstart and flycatchers in spring).

If Redditch was your base, like Phil says, Upton is THE place, but in redditch you have Arrow Valley, which must have a few good birds, and would be a good place to learn the 'game' if you were to watch it reguarly, your also surrounded by countryside, and Morton baggot near studley can have amazing birds aswell as a few waders/ducks on the marshy pools, a Ruff has been wintering (???) in the area this winter
But if you were to venture further away, the sites Phil sudgested are great! and also Earlswood lakes (Warks) which is nearby, which is very good sometimes!
MB

Would agree with MB's suggestions of Earlswood and Morton Bagot if you are prepared to venture into the badlands of Warwickshire ...

I've found AV just to busy with people and I've only seen what I already have seen at Upton so far, but will continue as its a decent walk at the same time. I did catch a Ruff at Upton in 2011.

Will look up Morton Baggot as not heard of that one.

Many thanks

Many thanks

If your visa is up to date ;), you're just over the border from Warwickshire, and there's Oversley Wood near Alcester that's a quite good site, especially for butterflies later on.

Spent the whole day yesterday at Eymore Wood, chasing crossbills. Well, "waiting for" would be more apt.

Got some shots - see below, and more on my Flickr page.

Great looking birds.

Attachments

• IMG_8704.jpg
    IMG_8704.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8860.jpg
    IMG_8860.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 62
Many thanks Craig for your post. Went over to Eymore this morning for a couple of hours and managed to see Crossbills, Buzzard, LT Tits, Goosander, Mandarain, Treecreeper, Siskin, Brambling, Tufted and plenty more.

Stopped at Winterfold School on the way and there was couple of hundred Fieldfare and Redwing on the playing fields with a Kestral sat watching from a goal post.

Found a male Shelduck sitting in a riverside field in Stourport this morning.
SAM_1971.JPG
First for the patch, and not a very common sight around the 'wyre' area
MB

Hello all,
Does anyone know where the River Arrow is accessible for the public? Preferably would be access in the northern part. Just tried this morning from grange lane (near Hopwood), but all private there...
Regards,
Daniel

The River Arrow runs through Arrow Valley Park in Redditch so you can get access there.
I thought it linked up with Bittell so look up the posts in West Mids section. As you should find info there. Access is not easy there though.

Have just moved from Bromsgrove to Belbroughton and on my first local walk came across a flock of 7 yellowhammer, well chuffed to know that there is going to be some quality birding here :t:

Does anybody watch Belbroughton on a regular basis? I remember the report of a red kite going over last year.

Yes. I wander south of the village (Bournheath & Dodford) and the like of Terry Hinnett do the village and the surrounding ponds/fields etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back