• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Ixtapa/Zihautanejo Area Trip Report (1 Viewer)

Frozen-in-MN

This "trip report" is from last year, but really summarizes multiple trips and birding experiences to the area.

There seems to be a lack of recent information for anyone visiting the Ixtapa area and looking for birding information, so I thought I should contribute what I've learned through the years.

It assumes you're located in the Ixtapa tourist area, but many people enjoy the more local experience in Zihautanejo. Hopefully this info is still worthwhile for them too.

The first part is about the Ixtapa area - and will eventually get posted to someplace like TripAdvisor. It holds informations about places to eat, what to expect, safetly, etc. - mostly normal tourist stuff.
The last portion is about birding the Ixtapa area and the major places to try nearby. Sorry, there's not a full bird list of species seen. I mention some of the highlights but there were more birds than listed.
Google for bird checklists in Ixtapa and you'll find a good checklist of possible birds compiled by a kayak outfitter in the area. It was very helpful to me.

I recommend looking at the satellite imagery in Google Earth as you follow along with the descriptions. I had to take my maps out to reduce the file size to post.

Hope someone finds this useful! Ixtapa is a great place to visit.

Robin

Attachments

• Ixtapa Birding Trip Report March 2011.doc
    71 KB · Views: 493
Ixtapa/Zihua Area Trip Report for February 2012

This is an update to the trip report I posted for 2011. We went again this year (2012) to the same places, plus a couple of new ones in the area.

I keep thinking someday, someone will be going to Ixtapa on holiday and will find this stuff somewhat useful. ;)

If you're that someone, I recommend reading the first report before reading this one - it will make a lot more sense I think.

Robin

Attachments

• Ixtapa Birding Trip Report February 2012.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 197
I keep thinking someday, someone will be going to Ixtapa on holiday and will find this stuff somewhat useful. ;)

Hi Robin - I might just be that someone :). I went to Ixtapa in Feb 2012 and am planning to go back in early Feb 2013. I was really amazed with the variety of birds and photographic opportunities, and having read your post just now it looks like there are many places still to explore!

Here's a link to some of the 2012 photos I took:
http://timjhopwood.com/?page_id=153

Thanks for posting your guide - I found it extremely helpful.
Cheers,
Tim.

Tim -
Great pictures. You must have a great macro lens!

So you might be the last person to have gone on a Blue Morph Tour. Sounds like he got muscled out of business and has closed up shop - before I ever got a chance to go out with him.

I'd love to hear about where you went - particularily for the Yellow Grosbeak.
I'll be there again at the end of February this year - always looking for new spots to go.

Robin

Hi Robin-
DMM ("she who must") and I went to Guerrero about 4 years ago, and loved it. Just haven't had time to get back.

We flew into Ixtapa, but didn't stick around at all. We went to a rather different town, called Troncones. From there, I did a bit of driving around - which was surprisingly easy (but expensive). You'll find a trip report on the area here.

Peter -

I've heard it's very nice in Troncones - great trip report too. I'm not sure I'd recommend the driving trip you took these days. The violence has gotten worse in the area, although in the tourist area it has mostly stayed away. I've heard that the roads away from the coast are something to avoid these days. |=(|

Thanks for the welcome & responses.

Robin - yes, I believe I was almost the last Blue Morpho tour, which is an absolute shame as Wil was as awesome guide. Unfortunately, I don't really know where we were when I took those Y.Grosbeak shots...but I believe it was in a rural area of Troncones during the tour.
It's a real shame about the violence, etc...I love nothing better than wandering around somewhere new with my camera, but it's only enjoyable if you feel relatively safe :(.
I put some more shots up on my website at the link above...most of these were taken from my Club Med room balcony. There was a large tree directly opposite with enormous orange flowers that were a real magnet for wildlife in the area from hummingbirds, to orioles to iguanas and wasps. So while my kids took their afternoon nap I was more than content to sit on the balcony for an hour or so with my camera & a cold cervesa and just watch the show!

Peter -

I've heard it's very nice in Troncones - great trip report too. I'm not sure I'd recommend the driving trip you took these days. The violence has gotten worse in the area, although in the tourist area it has mostly stayed away. I've heard that the roads away from the coast are something to avoid these days. |=(|

...and Peter, that was indeed a very enjoyable trip report read! It's got me even more excited to return Ixtapa.
Thanks guys!

Um ... it wasn't that long ago, you know. Things have not changed that much, I don't imagine, in four years - and you can be darn sure, people warned us then that we were taking our lives into our hands.

There had recently been (in 2008, before we left, I mean) a story about a dozen decapitated bodies having been found in Guerrero, in just one month. Since our trip, three Canadians (that I know of, there could be more) have been murdered in the southern Pacific region of Mexico - one in Puerto Vallarta, one in Acapulco, and the other in a place I don't remember.

However - guess what? These Canadians I'm talking about? They were killed in downtown areas of popular resort cities. It is likely that at least two of the cases I'm referring to were people involved in the drug trade. (the other got into a bar fight). Seems to me we can make some pretty basic inferences from this; as a Norteamericano, if you want to stay safe in Mexico, take a few basic precautions:
  1. Do not go anywhere that drugs are being sold (I include alcohol!)
  2. Stay the heck out of urban areas.
  3. Get up early, travel only during the day, be back in your room before sunset.
I want to be very it clear that I am not at all "pollyana-ish" on the subject. I am aware that there certainly are dangers to travel in Mexico, and I am not advocating taking high risks to look at birds. But, things are worse, you say? I would say, "things are always worse" - depending on how you look at it.

Tourists go to Los Angeles (just to pick on one poor example) all the time - and I wouldn't dream of driving there (at least, not at night!) But, I'm sure there are Californians (perhaps on this very forum) who would really get their backs up about this - they live there, it's fine, and I don't know what I'm talking about! After all (I imagine these people saying), there's L.A., and then there's L.A. - you just have to know which to stay out of.

Well, there's Mexico, and there's Mexico....

P.C.

Peter -

I agree with everything you said - there are bad parts everywhere.
I was speaking specifically about Ixtapa/Zihua in just the last few years (this will be my 20th straight year going there). Whereas some of the other tourist destinations in Guerrero have had their problems longer, it's just lately beginning to affect Zihua, that's all. It's the "touchy-est" subject on all the forums - local and trip advisor - arousing some heated arguments on both sides. I myself appreciate knowing of the problems, while others may think any mention is sensationalizing it.
In Ixtapa, I'm still the guy wandering around on foot in the back roads with a big ole' camera on my neck. Keeping aware of the current local situation will hopefully help me know when it's time to stop doing that.

I'd feel much better exploring the mountains these days with a local guide - someone that knows which Mexico is which to keep me out of trouble. The best around (Blue Morph) is out of business though. I'm kicking myself on that one - I had contacted Wil the year before but didn't follow up.

The good part of birding Ixtapa is, if you decide not to bird for whatever reason, the alternatives are wonderful. You can't really lose.

Robin

Robin/Peter - agree, that is definitely sound advice. I've now travelled through 50+ countries in one form or another (backpacking, vacation, business, etc) and have so far not had any real issues so I'd like to think I'm doing something right :).

Robin - I realised I never fully answered your earlier question. On the BM tour, we started out at the Playa Linda crocodile lagoon, followed by another lagoon/delta which had many shorebirds & waterfowl, then hit some rural areas, followed by a visit to the wildlife refuge as I was keen to see the hummingbirds. I found the refuge had almost as much wildlife outside the enclosures as inside (e.g. the kingfisher), so was a real bang for your buck. Outside of the tour, the sprawling grounds of Club Med turned up lots of other species as well. CM was pretty pricey, but our family felt it was worth it as it had something for everybody. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives though for the birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back