• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Pub Quiz!!! (1 Viewer)

1-proportionately, what species of bird has the longest bill? (please, no innunedo!);)

sword-billed hummingbird?

2-What bird has been seen on the most continents?(not including ship assistance)

arctic tern?

3-What is xenus cinereus

terek sandpiper

4-How many species of goose are on the british list? (and an extra point for naming them all) Not including potential splits of Brents/Beans/Canadas

can't remember what's been split and what hasn't! Canada, Cackling, Barnacle, Red-breasted, Brent, Snow (Ross's not accepted I believe) Pink-footed, White-fronted, Tundra Bean, Taiga Bean (by potential Bean split I assume you mean Middendorf's - surely these two are already separate) Greylag, Lesser Whitefront. So 12 for me.

5-What is the rarest existing species of grebe in the world?

Junin Grebe (does that exist or did I just make it up)

6-What is the largest bird in Europe?

Mute Swan, by length, though the pelicans would probably be biggest on volume!

7-How many of the 18 New World Warblers seen in Britain can you name (one point for 8+, two points for 13+, 3 points for 16-17, 4 points for 18)

Golden-winged, Blackpoll, Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, Am. Redstart, Black and White, Parula, Yellow-rumped, Yellowthroat, Yellow, hmm not so sure on the following: Pine, Palm, Black-throated Green, Canada, Nashville, Black-throated Blue, Cerulean.

8-How many species are awaiting acceptance onto the British List? plus an extra point for naming over five of them and another for naming them all.

Glaucous-winged Gull, Ross's Goose (surely got to be one or two still in circulation), Tufted Puffin, Citril Finch, errrm I'll guess there are 6 waiting acceptance.

9-When and where was the first British record of Oriental Pratincole? one point for right year and one point for right location.

1982, East Sussex?

10-Name three counties in the UK where Lesser Sand Plovers have been seen.
one point for naming all three.

Lincolnshire, East Sussex, Norfolk.

1) Sword Billed Hummingbird

2) Arctic Tern

3) Terek Sandpiper

4) 11 in Cat A - Bean, White-fronted, Lesser White-fronted, Pink-footed, Greylag, Snow, Brent, Barnacle, Canada, Red Breasted, Egyptian

5) Aloatra Grebe

6) Black Vulture

7)
American Redstart
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Golden-winged Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Northern Parula
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
Tennessee Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler

8) 7 - Small Canada Goose, Tufted Puffin, Black-bellied Storm Petrel, Yelkouan Shearwater, Madeiran Storm Petrel, Alder Fylcatcher, Eastern Crowned Warbler, Citril Finch

9) 1981 - Dunwich

10) Hampshire, West Sussex and Lincolnshire

Q 1 : Sword Billed Hummingbird ?

Q 2 : Arctic Tern

Q3 : ???

Q 4 : Egyptain, Brent , Canada , Greylag , Snow , Red-Breasted , White - fronted , Lesser white fronted , Bean , Pink-footed , Barnacle ,
not sure about Ross's , so 11 without or 12 with .

Q 5 : Phew this is tricky , random guess Western grebe although i expect
there are milloins of them in the states ..... lol

Q 6 : Mute Swan ?

Q 7 : 1. Golden-winged warbler
2. Black and White Warbler
3. Northern Parula Warbler
4. Common Yellowthroat
5. Blackpoll Warbler
6. Blackburian Warbler
7. Chestnut sided warbler
8. Yellow rumped warbler
9. Yellow warbler
10. Northern Waterthrush
cant think of any more ???

Q 8 : 1. Tufted Puffin ( 20 mins from my flat , ouch !!!! )
2. Eatern Crowned Warbler ( why did nt i go for it aaagh )
3. Alder Flycatcher
4. Amur Falcon
my brain has just exploded cant think of anymore

Q 9 : I saw the second record for Britain at Elmly in Kent in 1988 but
i believe the first record for Britain was back in 1981 in Suffolk
not really sure of the exact location though ?
Q 10 : Another trciky one , pretty sure there was one in Hampshire and
i would have to guess Norfolk and Cornwall ?

Great quizz Liam B :)

1-sword-billed hummingbird

2-osprey

3-citril finch

4-13
red-breasted
egyptian
brent
black brant
snow
ross's
canada
bean goose (tundra +taiga)
white-fronted
lesser white-fronted
greylag
pink-footed
barnacle

5-Titicaca Grebe?

heaviest = Mute Swan, probably followed by Great Bustard and White Pelican. White Pelican probably 'largest', with Lammergeieer also having a substantial wingspan. otherwise. domesticated = ostrich

7-
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula
Golden-winged Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Palm Warbler

Yellow Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Pine Warbler

Canada Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler

8-guess 8
including alder flycatcher, tufted puffin, erm ...

9-
1996 burnham ovary, norfolk

10-
northumberland
sussex
norfolk

This round is now over after three days. I will give answers and results soon, and re run any questions nobody answered correctly.

It took me 3 days to remember what the other white goose was called (and then I see someone says they don't count anyway, doh!)

;)

Not holding out for much else ...

here we go, round three of the quiz!

1-proportionately, what species of bird has the longest bill? (please, no innunedo!);)

answer-Sword-billed Hummingbird

2-What bird has been seen on the most continents?(not including ship assistance)
answer-was originally thinking of Cattle Egret, but having researched it properly Arctic Tern has been seen on/from all the worlds continents too, so I will accept both answers

3-What is xenus cinereus

answer-Terek Sandpiper

4-How many species of goose are on the british list? (and an extra point for naming them all) Not including potential splits of Brents/Beans/Canadas

11-Brent, Barnacle, Canada, Bean, Pink-footed, White-front, Lesser White-front, Greylag, Egyptian, Snow, Red-breasted. Ross's goose is not on the british list.

answer-Aloatra Grebe, thogh anyone who said Junin Grebe still gets a point as it is the rarest known to survive species of grebe in the world, Aloatra is presumed exctinct but not yet confirmed or otherwise

based on body mass, the Great Bustard

7-How many of the 18 New World Warblers seen in Britain can you name (one point for 8+, two points for 13+, 3 points for 16-17, 4 points for 18)
Golden-winged Warbler, Northern Parula, Tenessee Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Chestnut-sided warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Blackburnina Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Black and White Warbler, American Redstart, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded Warbler, Wilson's Warbler

8-How many species are awaiting acceptance onto the British List? plus an extra point for naming over five of them and another for naming them all.
nine-Madeiran Storm Petrel, Amur Falcon, Elegant Tern, Alder Flycatcher, Little Blue Heron, Tufted Puffin, Eastern Crowned Warbler, Citril Finch, Masked Booby.

9-When and where was the first British record of Oriental Pratincole? one point for right year and one point for right location.

1981-Dunwich, Suffolk

West Sussex, Lincolnshire, Hampshire (and Midlothian, I recently found out!)

Good Luck everyone!;)

-proportionately, what species of bird has the longest bill? (please, no innunedo!)

Sword-billed Hummingbird

Arctic Tern?

3-What is xenus cinereus

Terek Sandpiper

Egyptian, Canada, Brent, Barnacle, Greylag, Pink-foot, Bean, White-fronted, Lesser White-fronted.

Aloatra Grebe

Mute Swan?

Hooded, Cape May, Yellow, Northern Waterthrush, Blackpoll, Black and White, Golden-winged, Yellowthroat, Yellow-rumped, Ovenbird, Wilson's, Chestnut-sided, Blackburnian, American Redstart, Bay-breasted, Magnolia, Tennessee, Parula

Amur Falcon
Alder Flycatcher
Citril Finch
Slender-billed Curlew
Little Swift

10 in total?

1978? dunno where... Dungeness?

Devon, Kent, Norfolk?
A fine effort, seven points on your first round Jacana, including naming all 18 species of New world Warbler! However, on question four you, as did uite a few, forgot about Red-breasted Goose!:eek!: All in all you got questions 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 right, getting all four points for number 7.

1. Sword-billed Hummingbird

2. Cattle Egret

3. No idea

4. 11
Greylag
Pink-footed
Bean
White-fronted
Lesser white-fronted
Brent
Egyptian
Red-breasted
Barnacle
Canada
Snow

5. Junin Grebe?

6. Great bustard?

7. On the British List
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Golden-winged Warbler
Northern Parula
Tennessee Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
Hooded Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Wilson's Warbler

And on the Irish list ;)
Blue-winged Warbler
Canada Warbler

8. I can only think of six possibles, so will guess at 8!
Alder Flycatcher
Eastern-crowned Warbler
Tufted Puffin
White-bellied Storm Petrel
Yellow-nosed Albatross
Amur Falcon

9. It was in Suffolk (Walberswick?) in 1981.

10. I saw all of these
West Sussex
Lincolnshire
Hampshire
an excellent 11 points StonedCurlew! you got 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10 right, including two on Q4 and Q10 (walberswick and dunwich are virtually the same place) and three on Q7, no obvious blunders, but for Q8, I don;t think they have yet managed to prove what species of Storm-Petrel was seen in the Severn!

2) Peregrine Falcon

3) Terek Sandpiper

4) Brent, Barnacle, Canada, Greylag, Pink Footed, White Fronted, Bean, Red Breasted, Egyptian, Snow, Lesser White Fronted, Ross's - 12

5) Aloatra Grebe

6) Great Bustard

7) No idea of any

8) 7 - Slender Billed Curlew, Alder Fylcatcher, Tufted Puffin, Black Bellied Storm Petrel, Eastern Crowned Warbler, Ross's Goose, Scopoli's Shearwater

9) 1981 - Dunwich (suffolk)

10) Hampshire, Sussex and Lincolnshire

a very respectable seven Johnny, with Q 1, 3, 5, 6, 9(2 points) and 10 right. However, Peregrine hasn't been seen on Antarctica, Ross' Goose isn't on the british list, and you have proven the point that I don't think they can even decide which of the two Storm Petrels were seen in the Severn last November!
2, Osprey

fraid not MF, never been seen on Antarctica, an since that was your only answer yu sadly get no points this round:-C

sword-billed hummingbird?

arctic tern?

3-What is xenus cinereus

terek sandpiper

can't remember what's been split and what hasn't! Canada, Cackling, Barnacle, Red-breasted, Brent, Snow (Ross's not accepted I believe) Pink-footed, White-fronted, Tundra Bean, Taiga Bean (by potential Bean split I assume you mean Middendorf's - surely these two are already separate) Greylag, Lesser Whitefront. So 12 for me.

Junin Grebe (does that exist or did I just make it up)

Mute Swan, by length, though the pelicans would probably be biggest on volume!

Golden-winged, Blackpoll, Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, Am. Redstart, Black and White, Parula, Yellow-rumped, Yellowthroat, Yellow, hmm not so sure on the following: Pine, Palm, Black-throated Green, Canada, Nashville, Black-throated Blue, Cerulean.

Glaucous-winged Gull, Ross's Goose (surely got to be one or two still in circulation), Tufted Puffin, Citril Finch, errrm I'll guess there are 6 waiting acceptance.

1982, East Sussex?

Lincolnshire, East Sussex, Norfolk.

5 right Nick, with 1, 2, 3, 5 and one point for 7. Very close with the year for number 9, but we had to wait until 1993 for our first Oriental!

2) Arctic Tern

3) Terek Sandpiper

4) 11 in Cat A - Bean, White-fronted, Lesser White-fronted, Pink-footed, Greylag, Snow, Brent, Barnacle, Canada, Red Breasted, Egyptian

5) Aloatra Grebe

6) Black Vulture

7)
American Redstart
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Golden-winged Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Northern Parula
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
Tennessee Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler

8) 7 - Small Canada Goose, Tufted Puffin, Black-bellied Storm Petrel, Yelkouan Shearwater, Madeiran Storm Petrel, Alder Fylcatcher, Eastern Crowned Warbler, Citril Finch

9) 1981 - Dunwich

10) Hampshire, West Sussex and Lincolnshire

well Neil, you've smashed the previous record for most points in a round with an incredible 13! (previously held by StonedCurlew with 11 in this round, and before that by Nick with 9 in the last round)
you were the only competitor to get any points for number eight, and one of just two who named all eighteen NW Warblers (along with Jacana). The only marks you missed out on were no.six, and two of the potential points for no. 8 (you named five species but 9 not 7 species pending acceptance and you didn't name all of them) Still, a truly brilliant score, which puts you quite high up the leaderboard despite taking part in only one round!

Q 1 : Sword Billed Hummingbird ?

Q 2 : Arctic Tern

Q3 : ???

Q 4 : Egyptain, Brent , Canada , Greylag , Snow , Red-Breasted , White - fronted , Lesser white fronted , Bean , Pink-footed , Barnacle ,
not sure about Ross's , so 11 without or 12 with .

Q 5 : Phew this is tricky , random guess Western grebe although i expect
there are milloins of them in the states ..... lol

Q 6 : Mute Swan ?

Q 7 : 1. Golden-winged warbler
2. Black and White Warbler
3. Northern Parula Warbler
4. Common Yellowthroat
5. Blackpoll Warbler
6. Blackburian Warbler
7. Chestnut sided warbler
8. Yellow rumped warbler
9. Yellow warbler
10. Northern Waterthrush
cant think of any more ???

Q 8 : 1. Tufted Puffin ( 20 mins from my flat , ouch !!!! )
2. Eatern Crowned Warbler ( why did nt i go for it aaagh )
3. Alder Flycatcher
4. Amur Falcon
my brain has just exploded cant think of anymore

Q 9 : I saw the second record for Britain at Elmly in Kent in 1988 but
i believe the first record for Britain was back in 1981 in Suffolk
not really sure of the exact location though ?
Q 10 : Another trciky one , pretty sure there was one in Hampshire and
i would have to guess Norfolk and Cornwall ?

Great quizz Liam B :)
6 points Rob, not brilliant but your consistency is still keeping you right up near the top!:t:. you got Questions 1, 2, 4,(2 points) 7,(1 of 4 points) and 9 (1 of 2 points) correct, including being one of only 3 people to get points for number 4.

1-sword-billed hummingbird

2-osprey

3-citril finch

4-13
red-breasted
egyptian
brent
black brant
snow
ross's
canada
bean goose (tundra +taiga)
white-fronted
lesser white-fronted
greylag
pink-footed
barnacle

5-Titicaca Grebe?

heaviest = Mute Swan, probably followed by Great Bustard and White Pelican. White Pelican probably 'largest', with Lammergeieer also having a substantial wingspan. otherwise. domesticated = ostrich

7-
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula
Golden-winged Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Palm Warbler

Yellow Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Pine Warbler

Canada Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler

8-guess 8
including alder flycatcher, tufted puffin, erm ...

9-
1996 burnham ovary, norfolk

10-
northumberland
sussex
norfolk

Sadly, just 3 points this time Dan:-C. You got Q1 right and 2 points for Q7, but sadly Pine, Cerulean, Canada, Black-throated Blue and Palm warblers aren't on the British List. However, your good score last round means you are still very much in with a shout!

Here's the leaderboard for how this round turned out

1st-Neil78-13 points
2nd-SttonedCurlew-11 points
3rd-Jacana-7 points
3rd-Johnny721-7 points
4th-DarkKnight-6 points
5th-NickDerry-5 points
6th-Adin 92-4 points (sorry, Adin, I must have missed yours when I was
Quoting all the other answers, I'll go back through it in a minute.
7th-Dantheman-3 points

and here is the overall leaderboard

1st-Johnny721-15 points
1st-StonedCurlew-15 points

2nd-NickDerry-14 points
3rd-Neil78-13 points
4th-DarkKnight-12 points
5th-Dantheman-11 points
6th-Jacana-7 points
7th-Espen-4 points
7th-Adin92-4 points

8th-AdamW-2 points
8th-Maltese Falcon-2 points

9th-DavidFG-1 point

round four up now :t:

1) what is the slowest recorded flight of any bird (hint, two very similar birds, either side of the atlantic). and backwards flying and hovering does not count!!

2) what are calandra brachydactyla and calandra rufescens? one point for each.

3) what is this?
IMGP1368-for quiz.jpg

4) 14 species have bred on the Icelandic island of Surtsey, formed in 1963. name eight for one point, ten for two points, twelve three points and fourteen for four points.

5) how many Short-toed Treecreeper have been seen in Britain? (one point for within five, two for exactly right)

6) what is the national bird of Norway?

7) what is Grey Heron in Swedish?

8) what is the most intelligent family of birds in the world?

9) name a poisonous bird

10) where and when was the first british Olive-backed Pipit? (one point for year and one for location)

for the extremely intelligent 17 points up for grabs, good luck everyone!!:t:

1) Bittern?

2) Short Toed and Lesser Short Toed Lark?

3) Temminck's stint?

8) Crow's?

Dont know hwere to start with the rest.

Q 1 : not sure on this one , its probably not an obvious species so will just
guess , Grey heron ?

Q 2 : Short-toed lark and lesser short toed lark ?

Q 3 : has to be Temmincks Stint B :)

Q 4 : This is tricky , i am guessing sea birds : Fulmar , Puffin , razorbill ,
Guillemot , Gannet , Herring gull , kittiwake, Great black-backed gull ,
Brunnicks Guillemot , oh black guillemot , turnstone, golden plover,
possibly Arctic tern and Glaucous gull , think that is 14 ?

Q 5 : I think most records are in Kent ( have seen 2 myself ) i would say
roughly 20 ?

Q 6 : i was only reading about this the other day : Dipper ( dark bellied race if
i am not mistaken ? )

Q 7 : ????

Q 8 : Its either parrots or corvids , i will plump for Corvids ( crows )

Q 9 :I saw this on tv the other week and i think its a Pitohui cant remember
what species though :-C

Q 10 : Back in the fortys i think , in Pembrokshire somewhere ??

1) American/Eurasian Bittern

2) Lesser and Greater Short Toed Larks?

3) Temminck's Stint

4) Herring, Glaucous, Black Headed, Great Black Backed and Lesser Black backed gulls, puffin, guillemot, black guillemot, fulmar, kittiwake, raven, golden plover, turnstone, purple sandpiper

5) 18

6) Dipper

7) Häger

8) Crows

9) Hooded Pitohui

10) and I thought I was doin so well :-O haven't a clue about this 1

1) Woodcock (and American)
2) Short -toed and Lesser Short-toed Lark
3) Temminck's Stint
4) Fulmar, Guillemot, Razorbill, Little Auk, Black Guillemot, Brüunich's Guillemot, Gannet, Glaucous Gull, Kittiwake, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Eider, Harlequin, Rock Pipit
5) 35
6) White-tailed Eagle?
7) Grau Reiher (trying to make German sound Swedish) - Björn????
8) Corvids
9)Pituitary or something like that
10) Spurn 1956???

1. Bittern & American Bittern

2. Short-toed Lark and Lesser Short Toed Lark

3. Temminck's Stint

4. Assuming this is a flat rocky island with no cliffs, so - fulmar, shag, mallard, eider, purple sand, arctic skua, bh gull, herring gull, lbb gull, gbb gull, arctic tern, black guillemot, meadow pipit, wheatear

5. 18

6. white-tailed eagle

7. don't know

8. corvids

9. no idea cassowary?

10. I know this one. A spring record from Skokholm in 1948. Was accepted after one was seen on Fair Isle in the 1960s.

1) bittern and american bittern?

2) Short-toed Lark and Lesser Short Toed Lark

3) Temminck`s Stint

4) Fulmar, guillemot, Black Guillemot, Razorbill, Atlantic Puffin, Little Auk, Glaucous, Black Headed, Great Black Backed, Lesser Black backed gulls and Herring Gulls, Kittiwake, Raven, Golden Plover

5) 19?

6) Dipper

7) Gråhäger?

8) Corvids

9) The Hooded Pitohui (i ve seen a small documentary of this bird on Youtube this weeek!)

10) No idea :)

round four up now :t:

1) what is the slowest recorded flight of any bird (hint, two very similar birds, either side of the atlantic). and backwards flying and hovering does not count!!

3) what is this?
View attachment 259490

4) 14 species have bred on the Icelandic island of Surtsey, formed in 1963. name eight for one point, ten for two points, twelve three points and fourteen for four points.

5) how many Short-toed Treecreeper have been seen in Britain? (one point for within five, two for exactly right)

9) name a poisonous bird

10) where and when was the first british Olive-backed Pipit? (one point for year and one for location)

for the extremely intelligent 17 points up for grabs, good luck everyone!!:t:

I know 1 and 2

1-Woodcock & American Woodcock
2-Short Toed Lark & Lesser Short Toed Lark

American and European Woodcock

Short-toed and Lesser-short toed Lark

3) what is this?

Temminck's Stint

Great black-backed, Lesser black-backed, Herring and glaucous Gulls, Kittiwake, Snow Bunting, Meadow Pipit, Puffin, Fulmar, Black Guillemot, Greylag Goose, Arctic Tern, Raven and White Wagtail

25 accepted records

Dipper

Grahager

Crows

9) name a poisonous bird

The Hooded, Brown and Varied Pithouis

Stockholm, Pembrokeshire in 1949

after that round, here is how everyone did

1st-Jonny721-8 points
1st-Dark Knight-8 points
1st-Adin 92-8 points
2nd-stonecurlew-5 points
2nd-NickDerry-5 points
3rd-Adam W-4 points
4th-Halcon-3 points (let you have them as self-punishment for my sloppiness;))

so overall the leaderboard looks a little bit like this:eek!:
1st-Johhny721-23 points
2nd-DarkKnight-20 points
2nd-StonedCurlew-20 points
4th-NickDerry-19 points
5th-Adin92-12 points
6th-Dantheman-11 points
7th-Jacana-7 points
8th-Adam W-6 points
9th-Espen-4 points
10th-Halcon-3 points
11th-Maltese Falcon-2 points
12th-David FG-1 point

come on the rest of you, the top four are running away with it!

round five will hopefully be coming up soon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back