• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatchers Of The Aberystwyth Area (1 Viewer)

mcmerlin

I find it hard to comprehend that there seem to be very few birders in aberystwyth, and the surrounding area- there doesnt even see to be any kind of bird club for this area(please let me know if anyone knows otherwise). so far i have had to find most of the birds ive seen here by myself(which i dont mind doing , dont get me wrong, but it would be nice to discuss tips and hotspots with other birders). I am a student at Aberystwyth uni, and so spend a lot of time in this beautiful coastal town. there is a great range of interesting birds to be found in this area, which is why i cant believe there are so few birders. here are my favourite places in the area-
aberystwyth seafront and harbour, constitution hill, pendinas hill, tanwybwlch beach, the park imbetween town and plascrug sports centre, Bwlch nant yr arian, Ynys hir.

please, if anyone else birds this area, get in touch so we can discuss.
cheers,
GUY

Hi. I'm not sure about a bird club but all the birdwatchers I know in Aber I've met through volunteering at Nant yr Arian and through doing one of the lifelong learning courses with the uni. They do courses on seabirds, woodland birds and a few others: http://www.aber.ac.uk/sell/courses/lllearn/science/index.html.

What course are you doing? I studied animal behaviour, graduated last year. Never actually met anyone who liked birdwatching there though ,which is a shame.

If you're interested in volunteering I think they're still looking for people to work at Nant yr Arian and at Ynys Hir.

Hey Lizzie. I am studying countryside management, so i have a few mates who are interested. I already am a volunteer at Nant-yr arian, started there in my first year, am now in my second.
do you go birding in and around aber? do you know any hotspots for sought after species?
Cheers,
Guy

im a birder and bird ringer living in aberystwyth. Studied countryside conservation at aber, now im graduated and living in the area. Dont know of any bird clubs though.

Sarah.

Bob Relph organises outings in the area, don't know if you're in touch with him already. Drop me a PM if you want his email address.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back