• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Kite or Buzzard? (3 Viewers)

Gentlemen,
If it helps your discussion at all, attached is certainly a Black Kite in a similar position, for comparison.
Cheers!
sumit

Attachments

• bkiteweb.jpg
    bkiteweb.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 189
Hi again,

Maybe we are not getting to grips with the correct ID of this bird because there are no
diagnostic features to be seen.

We can all see features that are suggestive of certain species

Is there a definitive feature or set of features that would enable us to name the species?

Maybe there isn't!

Regards,

Andy.

Or a darkish Rough-leg made darker by the photographic effects THH has mentioned?

Would anyone disagree that it has to be a Buteo?

Spud

Of course it's photographic, that's why the head doesn't contrast in flight in the way it contrasts in the perched shot!

Can I assume that you longer hold the view that this is 'defintely a Honey Buzzard' then.

Spud

That would be be one funny looking Roughleg,...but on the other hand it would be one funny looking black Kite.
I must admit i,m worried about the wing formula,wing shape and that trailing edge,but its that tail, i'm not that familier With Rough legged Buzzard so.......God knows!.

It is purely an effect of the light and the direction of the light source .

I am no longer of that opinion, correct.

I am not sure what it is.

Andy.

Marsh Harrier......hmmmm...Males can show that sort of underwing pattern...Andy get Dick round for tea,Thats Dick Forsman not the other one!.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back