• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds eating yellow Holly berries. (1 Viewer)

KenM

I seem to recall reading recently that thrushes don’t recognise “pale” berries as food items, only being attracted to red berries…doesn’t seem to be working on my garden Blackbirds?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9350.jpeg
    IMG_9350.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
I seem to recall reading recently that thrushes don’t recognise “pale” berries as food items, only being attracted to red berries…doesn’t seem to be working on my garden Blackbirds?

Cheers
I have yellow Cotoneaster, pale Rowan ( Kashmiri) and "Snowberries" which they all take when ripe, no problem.
Not forgetting Mistletoe.

I have yellow Cotoneaster, pale Rowan ( Kashmiri) and "Snowberries" which they all take when ripe, no problem.
Not forgetting Mistletoe.
Having “read” that they avoid pale berries and target the red (which I thought odd, as it’s a food source especially in hard weather), it came as a pleasant surprise this am….”Come on you Waxwings” as it’s the only berry source I have.👍

Having “read” that they avoid pale berries and target the red (which I thought odd, as it’s a food source especially in hard weather), it came as a pleasant surprise this am….”Come on you Waxwings” as it’s the only berry source I have.👍
I've noticed that they (thrushes) are also fussy about Sea Buckthorn* berries in late Autumn, when they arrive in huge numbers on the coast.....some nibble and take a few before heading inland whilst others feed voraciously.
There were a small flock of Waxwings only a couple of miles away recently. Having all the berries stripped from my garden I've resorted to the Feno Scandinavian method of offering half apples on sticks, still waiting for that "special" garden visitor.
Sadly I don't think they will take to the Ilex preferring the fatter juicier crop of Rowan, Crabapple or even certain Rosehip so get gardening or pop down the Coop for some Braeburns. (y)

* I tried some after watching a HFW programme on how rich they are in Vitamin C. So sharp and puckered lips, worse than raw quince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back