• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tits missing from gardens following heatwave (BTO) (3 Viewers)

BF Newsroom

Latest update from the BTO: Blue Tits missing from gardens following heatwave

blue-tit-bto-2019-b10-edmund-fellowes-1570_2_original.jpg

Garden BirdWatch has shown that some of our favourite garden species have been struggling this year, possibly due to the unusually warm spring.

Read More...

I'm a little surprised to read this as Blue Tits appear to be as common as ever in our garden. I hope that we will continue to see the little chaps around here for a long long long long time to come.

I was surprised too, as we have been inundated with blue tits,more so than usual.

The dry Spring was amazing in my neck of the woods - leaves were literally wilting and dying on the trees. When it started to rain in late June, some trees were growing fresh new leaves from buds - bizarre. Bound to have affected invert populations for the worse.

I was surprised too, as we have been inundated with blue tits,more so than usual.

I must say we have had very high numbers in the garden over the past three or four days, as well as a great many coal tits. Out and about, there seem to be the normal number of mixed flocks of tits and lbj's at the moment too.

Blue Tits are set up for boom and bust with capacity for big brood multiple times in a year, so problems early on may not translate to low numbers later.

Additionally this autumn there have been big movements through/out of Scandinavia (surprising numbers on Shetland where they are normally absent, for instance) so currently numbers may be augmented by immigrants.

John

The numbers in our garden fell right off following fledging. I was only seeing a single one a day or so. Over the last couple of weeks numbers have crept up. Three a number of times a day is now usual. Coal Tits have been numerous all year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back