• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tits nesting in tennis post (2 Viewers)

Kevin REEVES

France
Hi, I live in SW France. I play tennis with a group of other Brits on a local tennis court every week. Last week we noticed a blue tit landing on the tennis net then disappearing into a small hole at the top of the post. I lifted off the cap after the bird had popped out and saw a nest at the very bottom of the post with two very newly hatched chicks and two more eggs. This week the same thing and on looking in all you could see was four yellow beaks pointing up. The post is about 10 cm square, made of metal very smooth on the inside and about a metre high. My concern is I just don't see how the young chicks will be able to climb out. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to Birdforum.

How amazing! One would imagine the activity on the court would have stopped the nest building.

Would it be possible to leave the cap off the post?

I had a very similar scenario but the post didn't have a cap on. It didn't end well as the post filled with rainwater and flooded the nest. I'm pretty sure if the parents can manage to get in and out the young will manage ok when they are ready to fledge.

Hi Kevin and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. No, please don't take the cap off, apart from the risk of flooding as Andy has mentioned, it is not a good idea to interfere with an active nest at all, as they may desert the nest. I'm not sure about France, but certainly over here it is illegal to do so. Those chicks will no doubt find their way out; they will keep jumping up and fluttering their wings until they can grab the top edge with their bills. However, if you could try and check on them after about 3 weeks, just to see that they have gone.

This is a link to our Opus article about Blue Tits: Eurasian Blue Tit - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back