• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Bluffy

Australia
Hi there, I want a good camera as I love photography and want to create my own personal travel BLOG but which camera should I go with? I was thinking of the Nikon P950. Will it take reasonable landscape photos as well as great bird photos, maybe some night sky photos? I am only an amateur photographer looking at getting better and really only want one camera - is that even possible? Any opinions?

What do you currently have and use? If you can handle the weight of something in this class that is to my mind a good place to go when also wanting bird photos.

If you want the really great bird photos then you might need to proceed to cameras with exchangeable lenses. (with a step up in both price and weight and therefore not where I would advise people to start).

Niels

What do you currently have and use? If you can handle the weight of something in this class that is to my mind a good place to go when also wanting bird photos.

If you want the really great bird photos then you might need to proceed to cameras with exchangeable lenses. (with a step up in both price and weight and therefore not where I would advise people to start).

Niels
Thanks Niels, I don't have anything as yet so it's all new to me. Weight is probably not going to be an issue as we don't do a lot of hiking. I really just want something decent that will take a "pretty good shot" when needed.

Then the class of cameras known as "Bridge" is where I would start. If you get hooked, then you can use a couple of years to get better and then invest more if you want to by then. The P950 you mentioned is one example of these. There might be others but I am not an expert of which currently are the best in this group.
Niels

I've been using Nikon cameras for more than a dozen years and I am quite happy with each and every one of them.
I have never tried a "Bridge" camera so I cannot offer any suggestions but I have seen a lot of good reviews on them.

Hi there, I want a good camera as I love photography and want to create my own personal travel BLOG but which camera should I go with? I was thinking of the Nikon P950. Will it take reasonable landscape photos as well as great bird photos, maybe some night sky photos? I am only an amateur photographer looking at getting better and really only want one camera - is that even possible? Any opinions?
Hi Bluffy,

Indeed, a bridge camera is exactly what you're looking for. The Nikons have a great reputation, but you might find that 83x / 2000 mm zoom a bit much to handle - finding your subject and holding it steady CA be a problem. Nikon has stuck with the small 1/2.3 sensor which has its limitations. Might be worthwhile checking out the Sony RX10iv. It has a larger sensor, a fine Zeiss zoom (to 600 mm) and a smaller form factor. It's also twice the price, but if that's not an issue, the Sony is worth your consideration.

Sony best of the best in all but one category...24X zoom. Like most in the early part of my birding/photog days trekking about getting that occasional best ever image was as I see it today was better for my health of body and mind but that type of birding has long since given way to a more sensible way to get those types of results.

These days are full of just stepping out onto my back lot planting myself on one of my High Observation Benches that are equipped with permanent camera hard mounts. Turning on a Nikon P1000 and shooting video. Many times, while getting some of the other daily routines off of my to do list. OK a not for most type thing but there's a key to the message..."shooting video" instead of waiting for that perfect image that sometimes requires a extensive amount of edits before all is over is now a download away to the computer and picking from the 1,000s of frames for that 1 or many images to perform the edits.

For the purpose of a blog, you can do a lot with a Nikon Z50 and the 50-250 kit lens. The effective focal length is 375mm at the long end. I use a Z6 (full frame) with a 300mm lens and a 1.4 teleconverter. The effective focal length is around 420mm - not much more. One tip is to program a Function button to allow zooming to 100%. That's about the equivalent of these images:
Peachtree Creek - Herbert Taylor_3-21-2020_322867-sharpen-sharpen.jpg
Jekyll Island_3-9-2021_339365.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back