• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone tell me what this is? (1 Viewer)

mittens131

Hi,

I was walking home and this (see image) had clung onto my bag.

I think its a moth, if anyone knows something about it can they tell me or direct me to a Wiki page or something.

Thanks.

IMG001

Picture 001.jpg

:eat:

On behalf of staff and moderators a warm welcome to Birdforum from a fellow Aussie.:t:

I've taken the liberty of moving your thread to the ID section for Butterflies and Moths (your insect is one of the latter) in the hope that you will get a positive ID for your picture.

Hi

Just a guess but I think your moth is a member of the family Hepialidae (primitive Lepidoptera), possibly an Abantiades sp. There are lots of species in Australia.

Martin

Hi,

Martin is right it is a Hepialidae, and almost spot on with Abantiades. I am almost sure it is a female Trictena atripalpis, a genus very close to Abantiades.

Thomas

Hi Thomas

I´m glad I was close - always a worry with no reference collection to check, only the internet. See you in a couple of weeks (in my new role).

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back