• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glare on the Habicht 8x30 (2 Viewers)

@ post 9 - I suspect the only thing that has changed about the Habicht is that d***o is now in the "pump" stage (all too soon to be followed by the "dump").

The veiling glare of the Habicht 8x30 W for me was a deal breaker. It was the worst binocular I have ever used in this regard. It was totally unusable under sunny conditions trying to look up a vertical slope in a mountain canyon too observe mountain goats. I sold mine the next day.

I liked the Habicht 8x30 W until I recently tried to use one to observe mountain goats from the bottom of a steep canyon. The goats were on rocky peaks above me and there was plenty of sunshine. The veiling glare was so bad from the Habicht's it flooded the FOV and I couldn't even see the goats. Needless to say I sold the Habicht's the next day. To say the Habicht's exhibit some veiling glare is an UNDERSTATEMENT! I would NEVER buy a Habicht again. Just my opinion. Try them at your own risk.:eek!:

The veiling glare happens anytime you observe at a steep angle so if you are looking at a bird high up in a tree or trying to see hawks high among cliffs it is there. It is the worst veiling glare I have ever seen in any binocular even cheap ones. It is not just glare that is bothersome it totally covers your FOV. I personally would never buy another pair of Habicht's 8x30 W. It is kind of like the Taylor Swift song " We are never, ever, ever, getting back together".

NB. when I tried the Habicht 8x30 the conditions were bright but not glare-inducing (I often wondered whether the former Birdfair organizers placed the main optics marquee very carefully!) so I wasn't able to try it against glare. In general, though, all the old 8x30 porro designs I've tried/owned have not been great against glare, something of newer design like the (actually quite old now) SLC 8x30 mark II being distinctly better. I remember following a peregrine stooping down near the sun, which was actually out of my field of view, in my old 8x30 Jenoptem. The image of the bird plummeting through a multitude of golden ghosts was surreal and memorable, but very far from what one might call optimal. It could be that modern coatings help in this respect (or perhaps not - see quotes above) but I think modern designs are simply better in areas such as baffling and blackening.

In any case, if you're keen on trying to see what your binocular is like against glare, my suggestion is to go out on a bright clear morning/evening when the sun is low, and walk the binoculars (carefully!) close to the sun. As you get closer you should (well, if your eyes are anything like mine - which is by no means a given) see more extraneous light entering your field of view and the quality of your image seeming to fade out as it becomes awash with light. I have definitely seen the phenomenon d***o describes of having the FOV flooded with light. There are other situations where glare can be a problem - getting too close to the sun when it's unobstructed by clouds and high in the sky; at times bright white clouds can seem almost filled with light. But trying to observe targets close to a bright morning or evening sun, especially one reflected back on water, is the surest way I've found to see how your binocular performs against glare. Incidentally, having some warning the sun is close to your FOV isn't a bad thing - I've read reports that said the Noctivid was so well baffled it gives you very little warning when the sun is close, though I can't really say I noticed that myself when I used a friend's 10x42 (though I do agree its performance against glare seems very good).

It might be worth noting that I don't need to contend with difficult viewing conditions too often (experience in where to situate yourself taking into account sun and wind helps muchly, I suppose), and do still use and enjoy my 8x30s quite regularly over the summer months (the photos here with the evening sun near St Paul's actually show a decent example of the situation I mentioned in the previous para re: glare). In many situations their ease of use (wide field of view, lightness, handiness) and the pleasure in using them (wonderful 1950s/60s West German build quality) far outweighs their weaknesses.

Last edited:
Yes, I'll perk up when someone other than Dennis says the glare is gone and even then I'll want to see some good corroborating evidence.

@ post 9 - I suspect the only thing that has changed about the Habicht is that d***o is now in the "pump" stage (all too soon to be followed by the "dump").
I seen the goat! It’s just that D didn’t see it because only the guy who took the photo and put it on google images seen it live 🤣

Can anyone help me with this.
I recently played around with this binocular, twice actually, but both times bought something a bit more 'everyday'.
But I couldn't find this reputed glare...
I looked towards the suns' direction, away from it, into the shadows etc, but couldn't find anything bad of note.
I did get one or two internal reflections but it was momentary.
Does this famous Habicht 'glare' come from light into the objectives, or light entering around the eyepieces from the side.
Sorry, I'm not very technical.
In a way I think the reports on this forum probably swayed me into buying something else.
That, along with the fact that I would probably 'baby' those little jewel binoculars, keeps me buying other stuff.
I know the 10 and 7 Habichts are better, but there is something very special about that 8x30.
If you are happy with this Habicht it is ok! But if you want to try to see glare, you must know that glare occurs in binoculars with internal reflection problems in some possible lighting scenarios.
1 One of the most interesting is the following situation often found in nature observation: Imagine that you are looking at a dark forest with the strong sun above it. If in the FOV we only have trees in the shadow of the forest, then our exit pupil dilates even if there is strong sun outside. When our pupil dilates more than the exit pupil of the binoculars, and the binoculars from the construction have a reflections outside and in the immediate vicinity of the exit pupil, then glare will enter our dilated pupil and appear as a decrease in contrast on the edge of the FOV on the opposite side of the external light source

2 Another situation is when the sun is strong and we have in the FOV a fairly extensive area of the sky, with the binoculars towards the area of the sun, but without having it in the FOV, being far outside of it. For example, when we look at the top of a tree projected against the background of the sky. Here we observe glare on the opposite side of the light source. Again, a crescent of milky light (low contrast) appears on the edge of the FOV on the opposite side of the light source. In this scenario, the reflection comes from inside of binoculars exit pupil (not from outside it as in the previous case).

So in both situations we have strong sun, but in one our pupils are more dilated and in the other more contracted depending on how the scene is lit in the FOV. Depending where the internal reflections present from the construction are: outside or inside the exit pupils of the binoculars. Ideal for not having glare in a binocular, these internal reflections must be completely absent inside the exit pupil and as far as possible from the outside of the exit pupil or of course even absent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back