• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7d v2 firmware (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
Canon have announced v2 of the 7D software to be rolled out in August. Main changes are:

Improved maximum burst for RAW images (up to 25)
In-camera RAW image editing
In-camera Image Rating
In-camera JPEG resizing
Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
Manual audio level adjustment in movie recording
GPS compatibility
File name customisation
Time zone settings
Faster scrolling of magnified images
Quick control screen during playback

More details on Canon Rumours http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-firmware-v2-official/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canonrumors%2Frss+%28Canon+Rumors%29&utm_content=FaceBookhttp://

Michael

Just out of interest guys,although only officially announced by Canon now it was common knowledge three weeks ago and was posted in a previous thread HERE

Oops. As OP it falls to me. And I remember reading the original, but I do recall thinking it was rumour rather than fact at the time (he said, furiously trying to dig himself out of a hole with a sieve for a spoon!)

I got an email from Canon (US) about this update today and they try to make it sound like the second coming. I wonder if some engineer at Canon accidentally flushed their rumored mirrorless camera design down the toilet and now they are scrambling to make a firmware upgrade sound like a really big deal? Nevertheless, I'm happy if the 7D stays current for a good while longer.

The improved maximum RAW burst is useful. For me, the rest is window dressing.
For me the ability to set a max ISO in auto ISO is a absolute cracker of a upgrade. The 7D already works superbly well in auto ISO (in either Av or Tv mode) and is a must for the bird photography IMHO as it is one more less thing to worry about in the field.

The one thing I would liked to have seen although I do not know if it is possible in firmware is to be able to apply exposure compensation when shooting in auto ISO and manual modes - I know this is possible in some Nikon's but I do not think any of the Canon's have this.

For me the ability to set a max ISO in auto ISO is a absolute cracker of a upgrade. The 7D already works superbly well in auto ISO (in either Av or Tv mode) and is a must for the bird photography IMHO as it is one more less thing to worry about in the field.

I've never used auto ISO Roy. I'll give it a go.

I've never used auto ISO Roy. I'll give it a go.
What you get with auto ISO on the 7D is:

Av mode : The camera will give a shutter speed of around focal length of lens x 1.6 so with a 400mm lens it will almost always be 1/640 sec.

Tv mode : The Camera will open the aperture right up or maybe close-it down 1/3 stop - with my 400/5.6 it would be either f5.6 or f6.3 which is great for this lens as it is pin sharp wide open (not so good if you have a lens that needs stopping down though).

With either of the two modes you can still apply Ev comp.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why would you want to be able to apply EV comp in manual?

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why would you want to be able to apply EV comp in manual?
Normally when shooting in manual you can change the metering by altering the shutter speed or aperture - so if you set say f5.6 and 1/1000 sec and lets say you want Ev+1 on that then you would just change the aperture to f4 or the shutter speed to 1/500 sec and you will be changing the exposure. But this does not work if you are on auto ISO (Canons) - all that happens is when you change the aperture or shutter speed is that the ISO changes to counteract the exposure change you wanted so the metre is always on zero (unless it needs less than ISO 100 or more than 1/8000 sec thus exceeding the cameras capabilities)

This is no good for my manual method with birds as I set the ISO and metre off of something around 18% grey and set the returned shutter speed and aperture to suit. Now this is fine for evenly toned birds (in the ambient light) but for light or dark birds you have to change the exposure by reducing or increasing the shutter speed but as explained above this does not work if you are using auto ISO. The beauty of using this over say Av or Tv mode is that the background tone does not influence the exposure.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I do it Roy !
Don't use auto ISO though , I'm a bit scared of it going over the not so magic 1600 on 550d !

Can be a pain though in changeable conditions , like juggling 4 plates at once !
I need more practice , hardly got out this year so far :(

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back