• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7d v2 firmware (1 Viewer)

A major firmware upgrade may suggest that the 7D will be around for awhile longer (which is fine with me).

Maybe, maybe not. To me the update is, barring the change to the RAW burst rate (which is great!), only updating the software side with features that have been already developed and present in lines lower than the 7D. If anything its overdue the update in firmwire considering that many of the added features are in the 60D or even rebel series cameras.

Personally I really wish Canon would treat their high end bodies more like computer software and less like disposables - I'm sure there is a lot that can be unlocked or added to the 7D's features with its existing hardware.

Normally when shooting in manual you can change the metering by altering the shutter speed or aperture - so if you set say f5.6 and 1/1000 sec and lets say you want Ev+1 on that then you would just change the aperture to f4 or the shutter speed to 1/500 sec and you will be changing the exposure. But this does not work if you are on auto ISO (Canons) - all that happens is when you change the aperture or shutter speed is that the ISO changes to counteract the exposure change you wanted so the metre is always on zero (unless it needs less than ISO 100 or more than 1/8000 sec thus exceeding the cameras capabilities)

This is no good for my manual method with birds as I set the ISO and metre off of something around 18% grey and set the returned shutter speed and aperture to suit. Now this is fine for evenly toned birds (in the ambient light) but for light or dark birds you have to change the exposure by reducing or increasing the shutter speed but as explained above this does not work if you are using auto ISO. The beauty of using this over say Av or Tv mode is that the background tone does not influence the exposure.

Ah-ha, I'm with you now. I am familiar with manual exposures but having never bothered with auto ISO it didn't strike me that the camera would shift the ISO to counter any under/over exposure.

To me the update is, barring the change to the RAW burst rate (which is great!), only updating the software side with features that have been already developed and present in lines lower than the 7D.
I agree but it is still welcome - I have just got a little SX40 and fired up the CHDK hack and it is amazing the extra features you can get by just running some software, not only the ability to shoot in RAW and superfine jpeg but also a host of other things like battery life remaining percentage, different histogram displays, a load of overrides to aperture,shutter speed, ISO and a host of other things all done by effectively updating the software.

Just upgraded mine, giving 22 RAW , 27 MRAW, the upgrade for continuous burst says "up to 25 RAW". I guess 22 is better than 15.
Not sure what dictates max burst rate if all 7D are the same, is it the CF card speed also?

Can anyone help? I am having a problem downloading. I download file and get the PDF instructions but the other file has an FIR extension and I cannot open this. Is this what you are all getting and if so how do you open?

Alternatively if some one could email the file to me would be halp.

Can anyone help? I am having a problem downloading. I download file and get the PDF instructions but the other file has an FIR extension and I cannot open this. Is this what you are all getting and if so how do you open?

Alternatively if some one could email the file to me would be halp.

Hi Robert, the fir file is the correct firmware file http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...digital_slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware

You cant open the fir file, it goes on to your cf card via usb cable/pc

give me a PM for contact details if any probs.

For me the ability to set a max ISO in auto ISO is a absolute cracker of a upgrade. The 7D already works superbly well in auto ISO (in either Av or Tv mode) and is a must for the bird photography IMHO as it is one more less thing to worry about in the field.

Hi Roy

What are you limiting your auto ISO settings to?
At the moment I have got mine from 400 to 1600, does this sound right for birds?

Cheers

On the link given on Pigeon Petes last post it says the firmware will be available for download soon. I must be missing something.

On the link given on Pigeon Petes last post it says the firmware will be available for download soon. I must be missing something.

It doesn't say that for me. I get the choice of OS (Windows), version (Win 7), then I pick the Firmware file.
Which options are you selecting?

The way I missed it was by selecting the 7d blurb box on the right of the page. This is where it said and still does, that the firmware will be available soon. I have now with your help now downloaded and installed the firmware. Thanks All.

Been trying all morning to update 7d with latest firmware but given up after getting the yellow error screen about 5 times,once error screen comes up the only thing you can do is shut down the camera by ejecting the battery so this cant be doing the camera any good or my fragile mind for that matter,think i will just do without rather than total my much loved 7d

Firmware update now also available on Canon UK / Europe website. Updated mine today with no problems.

Bob, if you are having problems have you tried re-downloading the update file? - something might have corrupted. Also worth checking the FIR file size, using Windows file properties, to confirm the file is OK. The file size should be 17,462, 140 bytes. I take it that you have the FIR file in the root directory of a card freshly formatted by the camera?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back