• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5D3 to get f/8 AF (2 Viewers)

It is also up on DP Review so it is not just a rumour. No doubt welcome by 5D III owners.

Yeah, I think the D800 has shaken Canon up and they are on the back foot at the moment. Having to announce a firmware 5-6 months in advance of it's eventual arrival smacks of panic and trying to hold the fort while scrabbling behind the scenes to bring the next generation sensors and cameras to fruition.
The 7D firmware update smacked of this while to my mind this just confirms it. Mind you I think when the new gear does come out it will be a big leap forward (I hope!)

Maybe they'll get some more good ideas from Nikon like a FF camera where you can elect to use just the central portion for a 1.3 or 1.6 crop factor. Failing that, perhaps they'll reinstate their 1.3x range. o:D

Maybe they'll get some more good ideas from Nikon like a FF camera where you can elect to use just the central portion for a 1.3 or 1.6 crop factor.
Its not as if Canon are not aware of this Tim as they already do it on the superzooms like the SX40/50 where they have built-in so called digital 1.5x and 2x tc's that are just cropping in-camera. Should be fairly easy to do on their DSLR's I reckon.

It seems obvious to me. With enough pixels at FF so that we are no worse off than with the 1D4 at 1.3x crop factor, it would be a real dream camera.

I see lowly 5D111 owners have to wait until next April, 1Dx owners can get it now though.
Am I right in thinking this is more a case of unlocking something that is already there ?

More shots at high speed before you hit the buffer?

You may be right, but I guess it depends on how it is implemented. If only a smaller part of the sensor is actually used to capture the image. But if the full image is cropped from FF to 1.3x during processing I don't think it will speed up the camera. However, I don't know how these things work, and I may be totally wrong.

Thomas

I posted elsewhere that many improvements in performance were just a matter of software adjustment and this seems to be the case here. As with many others I wish this would be extended to the 7D but don't hold your breath.

Methinks this 5d upgrade was in response to pressure from media sources where the 5D has been used extensively.

I think it must in part be the fact that Canon has these great super telephoto lenses such as the 400 do 500f4 600f4 800f5.6 and not one would AF with a canon 2xtc with there new camera's
it just did not make sence to me.
Rob.

I think it must in part be the fact that Canon has these great super telephoto lenses such as the 400 do 500f4 600f4 800f5.6 and not one would AF with a canon 2xtc with there new camera's
it just did not make sence to me.
Rob.

It might have also caused a bit of a stir when one of the Canon Explorers of Light (Artie Morris) blogs about using a 3rd party extender to get good focus acquisition at F8.

It might have also caused a bit of a stir when one of the Canon Explorers of Light (Artie Morris) blogs about using a 3rd party extender to get good focus acquisition at F8.

Thats probably why they fixed the 1DX, but Artie said the Kenko and the 800mm didn't work on the 5D3.

Basically I think they are updating it because they need to be more competitive with the Nikon D600 and D800. Thats also why we are seing the recent price drops. What I can't figure out is why it would take them 6 months to implement a firmware fix.

I'm sure that the three year old 7D will NOT get this upgrade, the recent firmware offered little new apart from increased buffer and the useless ISO max expansion when on auto ISO. This was released because the 7D replacement is just not ready for release and lower spec/cost cameras were affecting sales of the 7D before the 'run out' of stock

What I can't figure out is why it would take them 6 months to implement a firmware fix.

Look at the delay after delay situation with the launch of the 1Dx. Canon seem to be flat out trying to get products to the market, they are doing so in the knowledge that the released product will need imminent upgrades to keep up with Nikon and keep their customer base happy. To be fair to Canon though I'd rather have the product sooner rather than later and take the firmware upgrade as soon as it becomes available (as they are doing). The fact that the 5D3 won't get f/8 for 6 months suggests that Canon are confident they can offer the upgrade but they haven't yet sorted out the software fully.

Look at the delay after delay situation with the launch of the 1Dx. Canon seem to be flat out trying to get products to the market, they are doing so in the knowledge that the released product will need imminent upgrades to keep up with Nikon and keep their customer base happy. To be fair to Canon though I'd rather have the product sooner rather than later and take the firmware upgrade as soon as it becomes available (as they are doing). The fact that the 5D3 won't get f/8 for 6 months suggests that Canon are confident they can offer the upgrade but they haven't yet sorted out the software fully.

It might stop people considering the switch to Nikon if they already have Canon gear though.

It might stop people considering the switch to Nikon if they already have Canon gear though.

Lots of people threaten to jump ship for various reasons but I wonder how many actually do? If someone has invested heavily in bodies and lenses from one manufacturer, selling up and switching sides has got to be prohibitively expensive. 12 months ago when I started out looking to buy my first DSLR I considered the options and Canon offered the most cost effective entry deal (7D) for bird photography. If they're lagging at present in the MP race it isn't the end of the world. I like the Canon package and their customer service (CPS) I don't even know if Nikon offer anything similar?

Well I jumped and it didn't cost me as much as I thought it would despite having a fairly hefty line up of equipment.
Nikon had looked after me extremely well in fairness,I found their customer service very good but on the other hand was surprised I needed to use them on three occasions because of warranty issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back