• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Cashback Offer (3 Viewers)

Jos Stratford said:
Then is it not false advertising? I understand a retailer can change prices whenever he/she so desires, but surely advertising a product at a given price or with given feature, etc, requires the retailer to abide by that?
True. Unless of course it could be proved to trading standards that a genuine error with printing had occured and the retailer had no control over it. Example would be us placing an add with a newspaper/magazine for a particular wardrobe ad showing it at £199. In final print it comes out at £99. In this case the retailer would be able to decline the sale with support from TS. To advertise a price and not honour it would also be ok if "fine print" gave restrictions, ie, "remaining stock only" or "First 5 only" etc.

If any of these parameters were dubious then the customer could take the retailer to small claims court.

Denis.

Jos Stratford said:
Then is it not false advertising? I understand a retailer can change prices whenever he/she so desires, but surely advertising a product at a given price or with given feature, etc, requires the retailer to abide by that?

Indeed, but not if an error has been made... if an advert is in print it would only be false advertising if the price was not correct at the time of publication (and a simple disclaimer in your advert can even get round this)!

One useful (for the customer) bit of retail law - if an item is sold it must be fit for the job unless clearly stated that it isn't. So if a shop reduces a product because part is missing or damaged, but fails to make this reason clear at the point of sale, you would be entitled to buy it and then demand that they replace it with a complete/undamaged item. I have used this to my advantage in the past to get some very good deals... but most retailers will try and get around it!

postcardcv said:
One useful (for the customer) bit of retail law - if an item is sold it must be fit for the job unless clearly stated that it isn't. So if a shop reduces a product because part is missing or damaged, but fails to make this reason clear at the point of sale, you would be entitled to buy it and then demand that they replace it with a complete/undamaged item. I have used this to my advantage in the past to get some very good deals... but most retailers will try and get around it!
It would have to be a daft retailer to fall into that old trap postcardcv, they simply should mark the goods "Sold as Seen".

You also have to remember that a retailer has the right to decline to supply goods to any customer if they wish, as long as no payment or part payment has been made or contract written and signed. A contract to supply only exists if money has changed hands.

Denis.

postcardcv said:
I very much doubt there is anything illegal about it - all these cameras are being sold at price well below RRP, even if a retailed added £50 to the price it would still be heavily discounted. The profit margins on dslr's are very small indeed.

I think these rebates are meant for the consumers and NOT FOR THE SELLERS.
I have just seen an example of this in my country. The 2nd of April a high price increase. And the same day this seller was announcing Canon CashBack rebates.I think we consumer have to "black-list" such sellers in the future.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back