• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS 1D Mkiv Guidance (1 Viewer)

Dr Tickle

As a newbie on this forum I have quickly learned there is much expertise out there in the use of Canon cameras. I have been birding for around 12 months now and have a few shots using both a 30D and latterly a 7D. My lens is a Canon 100-400 f4.5/5.6 L IS USM.

I've never been completely happy with the results from the 7D, especially when compared to those I got with the 30D. I've now managed to get myself a 1D Mkiv and I'm looking for some tips for using the new combination that will help me to get some good shots.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

As a newbie on this forum I have quickly learned there is much expertise out there in the use of Canon cameras. I have been birding for around 12 months now and have a few shots using both a 30D and latterly a 7D. My lens is a Canon 100-400 f4.5/5.6 L IS USM.

I've never been completely happy with the results from the 7D, especially when compared to those I got with the 30D. I've now managed to get myself a 1D Mkiv and I'm looking for some tips for using the new combination that will help me to get some good shots.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.
Strange you did not get on with the 7D compared with the 30D - I have had both and for bird photography I would rate the 7D as a way better Camera myself - I still have a 40D and that is also light years away from the 7D IMHO (but the 40D was better than the 30D). What exactly were you not happy with on the 7D?

Hi Roy, my issues with the 7D are around poor focus and noise. I seem to have to shoot at ISO 400 minimum to be able to get a decent shutter speed. I have shots I took in Shetland last year with the 30D from a boat bobbing around in a decent swell and they are superior to shots I took in South Africa a couple of weeks ago from a stationary Land Rover.

It could be just me, in so far as I am not sufficiently skilled with the facilities of the 7D as opposed to the 30D. If that's the case, the 1D is going to be no help. A poor workman and his tools springs to mind, but my stepson used the 7D for a wedding recently and he was not impressed either.

I'm obviously going to go all out to master the 1D, hence my post. It may work out that I learn something I can apply to the 7D, or it may prove there to be an issue with my 7D.

Hi Roy, my issues with the 7D are around poor focus and noise. I seem to have to shoot at ISO 400 minimum to be able to get a decent shutter speed. I have shots I took in Shetland last year with the 30D from a boat bobbing around in a decent swell and they are superior to shots I took in South Africa a couple of weeks ago from a stationary Land Rover.

It could be just me, in so far as I am not sufficiently skilled with the facilities of the 7D as opposed to the 30D. If that's the case, the 1D is going to be no help. A poor workman and his tools springs to mind, but my stepson used the 7D for a wedding recently and he was not impressed either.

I'm obviously going to go all out to master the 1D, hence my post. It may work out that I learn something I can apply to the 7D, or it may prove there to be an issue with my 7D.
Hi, I routinely shoot the 7D at ISO 800 and even get good results at ISO 1600, as far as I am concerned the 7D is at least a stop better than both the 30D and 40D when it comes to high ISO noise BUT you do need to make sure you get the exposure right as the 18mb 7D is less forgiving if you underexpose and then try to push in processing. To this end I always practice ETTR (expose to the right) not only to increase the dynamic range but also to minimise the noise. I always shoot in RAW where you have a bit of leeway on the exposure and try to get it so the bird is just clipping.

As far as AF goes for me that is the real big advantage of the 7D over both the 30D and 40D I find it so much better and bird in flight with the 7D is a snap compared to the other two Cameras. You are not shooting in spot AF regularly are you by any chance as that can be a bit hit and miss if the spot area has not got any contrast, it as its advantages if used correctly though.
For BIF with a busy background I use single point expansion with the slowest AI servo sensitivity settings BUT for BIF with a clear BG like sky then ZoneAF with the fastest AI servo sensitivity makes BIF ridiculously easy IMHO.

Strange that the two points you mention as a problem I find as the biggest advantages for the 7D over the other two Cameras.

BTW although I have not used a 1D4 but is is obviously a great birding Camera although with the 1.3 crop sensor you will lose a bit of effective 'reach' AF up to f8 is a distinct advantage though as it the High ISO nois performance - the very best of luck anyway.

For what it is worth my Photostream and 500px galleries shown below have loads of examples of birds at ISO 800 (ignore the last few in the photostream as they are with the little SX40)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back