• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Image Stabilized (IS) Binoculars (1 Viewer)

My neighbor has a pricey pair of Leica roof prism binoculars and we were comparing. There was a boat on a lift a few hundred yards away with a small family crest or something on the side with a lion. We couldn’t make it out with the Leicas because of shake, but it was clear with my Canon 10X30 ISs. Same with some writing on another boat. The Canons couldn’t make them out either without the stabilization engaged. There is no optical deterioration with the IS not engaged, you just can’t hold them steady enough to see fine detail.

You can see more detail with stabilization. Maybe the bigger ones get you seasick, but I experience less, not more, disorientation with the stabilization on. You can look through the 10 x30s for a lot longer without eye fatigue than with unstabilized binoculars.

They aren’t any good on my boat though. The stabilization buffers hand movement but not my boat rocking. I have a pair of Nikons I keep on the boat. The stabilization might be good on a 50 foot cabin cruiser, but that isn’t a good description of my boat.

The 10X30 Canon IS are relatively light and inexpensive. I think there is a $50 rebate going right now which makes them even more attractive. I have decided I will never have another long telephoto camera lens without stabilization nor binoculars that won’t fit in my pocket without it. I would really like to have a pair of the 18X50 Canon IS but can’t justify the price.

slipe said:
[SNIP]
The 10X30 Canon IS are relatively light and inexpensive. I think there is a $50 rebate going right now which makes them even more attractive. I have decided I will never have another long telephoto camera lens without stabilization nor binoculars that won’t fit in my pocket without it. I would really like to have a pair of the 18X50 Canon IS but can’t justify the price.

I was loaned a pair of the 10x30 IS for a hike I took the other day. I have used this pair before, but had never taken them out in the field. The IS works very well, and I was treated to a fine view of a Magnolia Warbler. For the money I think they are great binoculars. I'd be quite interested in trying the 12x36s someday, but the price jump is fairly hefty. The 15x45s are a bit much to be carrying about, IMHO, so either the 15 or 18x50s would certainly be in the same ballpark.

Clear skies, Alan

I bought my 10x30 IS at Ace Optics in Bath. I had tried the Nikon 10x40SE and the Leica 10x30 BN. Both of these were excellent bins, but on the day the Canon 10x30 IS just wiped the floor with both of them. Detail in the stuffed Eagle Owl in the Tower was just so much better due to the IS that I had no hesitation in choosing them. Optically they are undoubtedly inferior to both the Nikon and Leica, nevertheless, they were able to show better detail in the scruffy stuffed owl than the other two (the owl looked immaculate in the Leica and Nikons!)

They were also considerably cheaper than the Nikon and Leica.

Those with steadier hands than mine would probably choose one of other two.

Clive

This is the heraldic lion on the boat. First shot is 35mm, second a 12X stabilized zoom shot (420mm) and the third a crop of the lion. There is no way I can make it out without stabilization or a tripod no matter how good the binoculars.

And even though the Leicas are brighter you can see detail in low light better with the Canons as well. Low light seems to exacerbate overcoming shake.

Attachments

• Wide.JPG
    Wide.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 12X optical.jpg
    12X optical.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Lion.2.jpg
    Lion.2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 497
I'll elaborate a bit on the 15x50. Firstly, resolution. Tripod mounted and IS off, my pair through a 3x booster resolves 1.46 arc seconds through the right barrel and 1.3 arcsecs through the left. with stabilization engaged (still tripod mounted) the resolution drops slightly, to 1.64 arcsec. However, since with the IS on the resolution varies somewhat as the vari-angle prisms do their job, the image is at times softer, but this 1.64 was resolvable. Now, the best figures I have measured for traditional binoculars have been 1.84 arcsec for 10x42 Zeiss and Nikon models. If you multiply these figures by the magnification, you get 18-25 arcseconds as what your visual acuity would have to be before the binocular would be the limiting factor. In real life, human eyes can resolve at best some 30 arcseconds, with 60 considered normal 20/20 vision. To make matters more complicated, however, I have found that in order to appear totally satisfyingly sharp, a binocular has to have resolution about twice as good as what my eye can use. The best traditional binoculars do this, but the Canon not quite. Compared to top-class traditional binoculars, it does look slightly less sharp. It is also not as bright, although it is not too dim by any means. The 15x50's light transmission was recently lab measured by Kameralehti in Finland as 78%, same as Leica Trinovid BN 8x42. The best figure, 89%, was Zeiss 7x42 classic, with Swaro EL being just over 81%, and Victory II 8x40 88%. However, with the combination of high magnification and IS, they show more detail under any light conditions, up to near-darkness, than any of the 8-10x42-50 binoculars I have compared them to, and that is a good many. Kameralehti got dismal resolution figures for their Canon, so I suspect they must have had a true lemon there. Contrast is good but not superb, roughly comparable to pre-Ultravid Leicas. There is a rather prominent yellow cast to the image, which I suspect is deliberate since it seems to be largely introduced by the flat filters/dust seal glasses in front of the moving objective lens assemblies. This has a deep blue-purple coating, and I think it is there to increase contrast in mist, rain and snow as well as over very large distances, as it cuts scattered ultraviolet-blue wawelengths. Anyway, in gray conditions as well as over snowscapes, the Canon has excellent contrast. The field is exceptionally flat, with measured resolution dropping only about half to the very edge. Stars remain points virtually over the entire field. So, as a 15x50 binocular without stabilization, I would rate the Canon as very successful overall, and it is perfectly usable should you run out of power.

As an answer to the question of whether birds are enjoyable to view through the Canon, yes. I enjoy viewing a bird and studying it's detail through them immensely. At close quarters such as watching warblers in nearby trees, it is like having a low-power scope with stereo vision and easy, quick aiming. One example of their difference to normal binoculars. I was recently testing a top-class 8x binocular at my summer place. Looking over the lake at the yard of a house some 2 kilometers away with the 8x hand held, I noticed that there was some structure on the lawn, but could not begin to tell what it was except that it was colorfull and about the size of a small doghouse. Switching to the Canon and pressing the stabilizer, I immediately saw that it was an old wooden wheelbarrow which had flowers planted in it. Similar things happen all the time with the Canon.

Why doesn't everyone own them, then? Firstly, because the IS does tricks on you. The more the vari-angle prisms are compensating, the more they must bend the light, the more they introduce what is called "wedge distortion," whereby image softens and chromatic aberration (which is very low in the unstabilized mode) increases. Since the status of the prisms varies constantly, so does the absolute image quality. Since the image does not shake, this change of quality is much more easily perceived than it would be if the binocular would shake like normal binoculars do. If you don't let this bother you and just keep looking, the image usually centers and sharpens in a few seconds, but if you are following fast-flying birds at closer ranges, it is often better to have IS off. When viewing stars, these prism artifacts are pretty visible with the stars changing shape and size until you manage to hold the binocular still and the image settles. With normal binoculars hand held, though, you tend to see a wild dance of points of light instead! Also, as I stated in my earlier post, there seems to be more unit-to-unit quality variations than would be acceptable. "Seasickness" is something that you might experience initially, but as soon as my brain got used to the image behavior, it went away never to come back.

Another problem is that the eyepiece design seems to be super-critical for exactly right placement of the eye to the exit pupil. This means that interpupillary adjustment has to be just right. If your eyes are even slightly off, image is not as sharp. I have indexed my bins for my interpupillary setting, but even so, every time I let someone else mess with the binocular, it takes me considerable time and effort to find just the right setting again. Once I have it nailed, the view is easy and relaxed, and a full day of use tires my eyes and brain less than with normal binoculars. If you don't know what to expect or what to do, or simply don't have the patience, you will see a splendid image only by chance. The eyecups are also awful. They are sloppy and huge, and better left downturned at all times.

There is a tripod mounting thread in the bottom at the center of gravity point, and I often use a Finnstick attached to it so I can hold my hands at waist level.

Thus far, they have survived everything but a one-foot drop, objectives first, to a stone floor. That required a trip to the binocular doctor, who re-located the right barrel's objective lens cell which had slipped on its focus shaft so that I needed all the diopter adjustment range there was although normally I use -0.5. They have been with me in rain and on a sailing trip. After the sailing trip, the first day out with freezing temperatures they fogged up inside. My bin doctor opened them up and filled them with nitrogen, and they've been fine since. Image stabilization seems to work in any temperature - the coldest I have used them has been around -20 C. Focus also remains beautifully smooth (but slow) in any temperature.

They absolutely need a wide neoprene strap (mine comes from Fujinon FMTRCSX) and a proper eyepiece rainguard (same source, only one I've seen that fits).

In summary, while far from perfect, the Canon is in many ways a superior product and, if you give it time and get a goot unit, highly addictive.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
The 15x50's light transmission was recently lab measured by Kameralehti in Finland as 78%, same as Leica Trinovid BN 8x42. The best figure, 89%, was Zeiss 7x42 classic, with Swaro EL being just over 81%, and Victory II 8x40 88%.
Kimmo

Kimmo,

I am very interested in this lab test, and I think others would be also. Light transmission measurements are hard to come by. Since the results are not available on line could you post more examples? I'm particularly interested in the results for any porros tested and for other birding bins such as the Ultravid and Nikon HG.

Thanks,

Henry

Okay, I'll add some more light transmission figures. Unfortunately, although the total number of binoculars Kameralehti tested was large, the selection of models left a lot to be desired, and there were no top Nikon models among those tested. The Ultravid series had also not been introduced yet, but they have two Trinovid (Ultra in the US) models. This list will be selective also, since there are many cheapo models among the lot. The order in which I present them might seem random, but it is from cheapest (in Finland) to the most expensive. I'll use p for porro and r for roof prism type.

Olympus DPS I 8x40 p 79%; Tasco Sonoma 10x50 p 68%; Minolta Classic Sport WP 8x42 p 82%; Helios Ultimate HR 7x50 p (looks a lot like a Celestron) 88%; Minolta Active WPFP 8x40 p 81%; Leupold Wind River Mesa 8x42 p 77%; Nikon Sporter 1 8x36 r 58%; Leupold Wind River Cascades 10x42 r 62%; Nikon Monarch DCF 8x42 r 75%; Olympus EXWP I 8x42 r 78%; Pentax DCF HR 12x42 r 59%; Leupold Wind River 10x50 p 80%; Fujinon MTRC-SA 7x50 p 81%; Minolta Activa D WP 8x42 r 79%; Minox BD-ALT BR 8x32 r 75%; Kahles DF 8x32 r 84%; Swarovski SLC 8x30 r 83%; Leica 8x32 BN r 80%; Kahles DF 10x42 r 81%; Zeiss Classic Dialyt 7x42 T* r 89%; Zeiss Classic RT (safari) 8x30 r 82%; Zeiss Victory II 8x40 r 88%; Leica Ultra BN 8x42 r 78%; Swarovski EL 8.5x42 r 81; Canon IS 12x36 p 76%; Canon IS 15x50 p 78%

So, it is quite a jungle. Some summary observations: 1) Zeiss is, in the models that feature both Abbe-Koenig prisms and T* multicoatints, indeed brighter than their competition at least among this group. It is too bad that no top Nikons were tested here. 2) other top-quality roof prism models have transmission values between 78 and 83%. 3) among cheaper models, porroprism binoculars reach transmission values on a par with all but Zeiss, while most roof prism models are considerably dimmer. 4) (relevant to this thread) Canon IS models are respectably bright, almost on par with the dimmer top-of-the-line roof prisms. I find this rather remarkable, in fact, if you consider their optical complexity - there are a lot of glass-to-air and glass-to-glass surfaces in them, and then the vari-angle prism with its optical fluid.

Hope this helps someone.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
Okay, I'll add some more light transmission figures.

Kimmo

I was wondering what the figures mean. They could be at the wavelength the human eye is most sensitive to in good light (which I think is green), or they could be averages over the visible spectrum, or perhaps some other measurement. I think Zeiss on their website claim higher than 90% transmission though that is presumably the peak value since I seem to remember transmission of most optics drops at the far red and far blue ends.

Unfortunately Kameralehti does not specify the wawelenght/s used. What they do say is that the diameter of the incoming lightbeam was 1mm whereby the size of the objective lens, exit pupil or even whether the prisms are undersized or not would not make a difference. I know that Zeiss has specified transmission rates above 90%, so has Fujinon for their FMTRSX series. Anyway, what is good about these figures is that they are presumably all done similarly for all the binoculars in this test, so, for comparing models and brands within this lot they ought to be pretty good.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
Unfortunately Kameralehti does not specify the wawelenght/s used. What they do say is that the diameter of the incoming lightbeam was 1mm whereby the size of the objective lens, exit pupil or even whether the prisms are undersized or not would not make a difference. I know that Zeiss has specified transmission rates above 90%, so has Fujinon for their FMTRSX series. Anyway, what is good about these figures is that they are presumably all done similarly for all the binoculars in this test, so, for comparing models and brands within this lot they ought to be pretty good.

Kimmo

Thank you very much. That was more information than I was expecting, and it is quite fascinating.

It’s difficult to account for the poor transmission of several less expensive roof prism bins. They must be using aluminium mirror coatings rather than silver, but even that doesn’t seem to fully explain transmission of only around 60%, worse than than I would have guessed any coated bin would do.

The difference in transmission between the Zeiss 7X42 and 8X30 appears to confirm Zeiss claim of a 7% increase from the use of Abbe-Koenig prisms over silver coated Schmidt-Pechan. The small reduction in the Victory compared to the 7X42 must be the result of more glass-to-air surfaces.I can’t see any reason why the FL would produce a significantly different result from the original Victory in this test set up.

It’s interesting that the Swarovski 8X30 SLC (with Swarobright mirror coatings?) and the Kahles 8X32 have higher transmission than the EL. Another case of fewer elements and glass-to-air surfaces?

It is too bad the highest transmission porros were not included (Is the 88% figure for Helios 7X50 correct?). If the 7X50 Zeiss porro had been tested that would have given us a pretty good idea of the transmission differences for AK, porro and S/P. If the Ultravid had been available to compare to the Trinovid we could have seen just how much improvement dielectric mirror coatings really make in S/P prisms.

Henry

henry link said:
If the Ultravid had been available to compare to the Trinovid we could have seen just how much improvement dielectric mirror coatings really make in S/P prisms.

Henry

Is not Swarobright used on the EL a dielectric coating?

Leif said:
Is not Swarobright used on the EL a dielectric coating?

Yes it is. I was thinking that Ultravid vs.Trinovid would be a better comparison than EL vs.Trinovid because the lens coatings on the two Leicas would probably be the same, eliminating that particular variable. Even better would be a pre-Swarobright SLC vs. the same SLC with Swarobright.

The 8x30 Zeiss, the Safari model, also does not, apparently, have T* multicoatings. That also makes a difference. The EL I guess is compromised by the "Swarodur" coatings on its outermost glass-to-air surfaces, which visibly reflect much more light than corresponding Zeiss or Nikon surfaces.

The best lay method, non-lab-equipment, for comparing brightness of two bins as far as I know, is to hold them side by side bacwards pointed towards an evenly illuminated white surface such as a piece of white paper or a slide viewing table, and comparing the whiteness and the brightness of the image of the surface as it is seen on the objective lens. A later test report in Kameralehti used an elaborated version of this method, where they used 5%, 10% etc. neutral grey filters on the slide viewing table as a reference for tested binoculars. They showed photos of this in the magazine and the results were surprisingly clear and convincing. Anyway, with this method you can easily see which of two binoculars is brighter, and if you cannot, they are for all practical purposes equally bright.

Kimmo

henry link said:
Yes it is. I was thinking that Ultravid vs.Trinovid would be a better comparison than EL vs.Trinovid because the lens coatings on the two Leicas would probably be the same, eliminating that particular variable. Even better would be a pre-Swarobright SLC vs. the same SLC with Swarobright.

I agree with what you say, but I do find it interesting that the Swarovski dielectric coatings are no better than the Leica silver ones. (Assuming we accept the figures given.) I am assuming that losses on the lens elements are comparable and thus that the differences are largely due to the prism mirror surfaces.

Leif

henry link said:
Thank you very much. That was more information than I was expecting, and it is quite fascinating.

The difference in transmission between the Zeiss 7X42 and 8X30 appears to confirm Zeiss claim of a 7% increase from the use of Abbe-Koenig prisms over silver coated Schmidt-Pechan. The small reduction in the Victory compared to the 7X42 must be the result of more glass-to-air surfaces.I can’t see any reason why the FL would produce a significantly different result from the original Victory in this test set up.
Henry

Henry for your information there is a difference. Looking at the transmission figures shown I would guess that these figures are based on night transmission. I am sure that some of the binoculars listed, have a higher day light transmission than that listed previously. The lowest FL model (lowest transmision figure that is) has a day transmission of over 92% and the lowest night transmission for the FL is 90%. Yes I agree with you that the Abbe Koenig roof prism makes a difference, but this is more noticeable to the human eye at low light not day use.

Last edited:
kabsetz said:
The 8x30 Zeiss, the Safari model, also does not, apparently, have T* multicoatings. That also makes a difference.

I can confirm that the 8x30 Safari does not have T* coatings. The difference the T* coating makes is quite visible when you compare an 8x30 Safari to a 8x30BGAT Dialyt.

Hermann

mak said:
Yes I agree with you that the Abbe Koenig roof prism makes a difference, but this is more noticeable to the human eye at low light not day use.

I think this is an important point to make. One of my friends uses the "traditional" 10x40 BGAT Dialyt (with phase coatings, of course), and during the day we both don't see a big difference in brightness compared to my Victory 10x40. In the evenings, however, the difference in transmission becomes quite obvious.

Hermann

Hermann said:
I can confirm that the 8x30 Safari does not have T* coatings. The difference the T* coating makes is quite visible when you compare an 8x30 Safari to a 8x30BGAT Dialyt.
Hermann

Hermann.

Sorry but the 8x30 Olive binocular from Zeiss DOES have T coating.

Quite agree with the observations you make about the difference in prisms for low light use, that is why you do not find AK prisms in 32mm objectives as they are not designed specifically for low light use, even though they have good twilight performance.

Last edited:
mak said:
Hermann.

Sorry but the 8x30 Olive binocular from Zeiss DOES have T* coating.

Zeiss official information brochures indicate that this bino (ClassiC 8x30 B/GA olive) does not have T* coating.

Steve

hinnark said:
Zeiss official information brochures indicate that this bino (ClassiC 8x30 B/GA olive) does not have T* coating.

Steve

Steve.

O.k. take out the T* and insert T coating to make it 100% accurate.

Take a look at: http://www.zeiss.de/de/bino/home_e.nsf

click on binoculars, then safari, then down to classics and it states all with T* multilayer coating (8x30 B/A Olive T coating).

I hope that this clears up any misunderstanding.

Perhaps we should return to Canon as this is the Canon thread.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back