• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Canon SX50

Amazon is offering free delivery in the UK with that price, and hong Kong you have to add at least the import duty...but its good to have options

Well, I just pulled the trigger (or is that shutter release?) and ordered an SX-50 to replace my Lumix FZ-35. Looking forward to seeing how well it performs. Based on what I have read here, this should fit nicely. Happy B'Day to me!

And me to replace my Panasonic DMC-FZ38, also ordered spare battery and memory card.
I was told on here that the Camera comes without a card is there anything else not supplied.

Mike

I have had mine for a month or so now and it is a real step up from the FZ38 (or 35).

Mike, apart from the memory card everything is included to allow you to use the camera. I bought an additional OEM battery which works just fine and is half the price of the Canon one. I also bought a lens hood (again OEM).

I have had mine for a month or so now and it is a real step up from the FZ38 (or 35).

Mike, apart from the memory card everything is included to allow you to use the camera. I bought an additional OEM battery which works just fine and is half the price of the Canon one. I also bought a lens hood (again OEM).

Ok Thanks cant wait for it to arrive

Mike

So if you want to buy one of these from the UK, where is the best place online?
Also what acessories would you need?
Memory card & Camera case spring to mind.
Whats the battery life like? Would you need 2-3 for a full days birding?

Canon SX50

You can get it from Amazon UK here with free UK shipping, and I recommend a card I use which is the SanDisk 32GB 45MB/s Extreme HD Video SDHC Card[/URL] and works wonderfully on my Canon EOS 1D4 and is dead cheap and offers plenty capacity :)

Good news on the card ]http://amzn.to/14tFKGk
Many thanks Birdman.
Any news on battery life or camera bag?

Last edited:
Magnification comparison - part 1

I sold my year old Canon SX40 for £180 and bought the new SX50 for £280 - good deal I think.
I gave a test out today after finding a Little Owl that was perched about 80 yards away in a quarry - impossible to get closer.
This first series show the bird at 100mm then 800mm then 1200mm then 1200 with 2x converter applied. None of the photos are cropped - just straight out of camera.
The next post shows a comparison with same bird/position only digiscoped.

Attachments

• Little-Owl-100mm.jpg
    Little-Owl-100mm.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 422
  • Little-Owl-800mm.jpg
    Little-Owl-800mm.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 415
  • Little-Owl-1200.jpg
    Little-Owl-1200.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Little-Owl-1200-2.0x.jpg
    Little-Owl-1200-2.0x.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 635
Magnification comparison - part 2

This second part shows the same little owl as above from exactly same position - about 80 yards away
I digiscoped these using my Swarovski 80hd scope and the Sony RX100 which was set on 3.7x magnification.
The shots below show the scope magnified at 20x, 40x, then 60x (I would not normally use 60x magnification as you do lose some quality).
First impressions of the Canon SX50 are good although the Chromatic Abberation on the photos is a concern - I never noticed this on the SX40.
Again these photos are straight out of the camera and not cropped.

Attachments

• Little-Owl-20x.jpg
    Little-Owl-20x.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 331
  • Little-Owl-40x-digiscope.jpg
    Little-Owl-40x-digiscope.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Little-Owl-60x-digiscope.jpg
    Little-Owl-60x-digiscope.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back