• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Castle Mill Sluice and Quarries to Priory Park, 19/4/09, Bedfordshire. (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Trip on the 14th April 2009 (typo error in title)

What a beautiful, warm, sunny day. We decided to go on a 10 miles walk around one of the main public pathways close to where we live. OH had cycled the same route so he told me it was worth us walking around the area. I took him up on his offer and we decided to so the walk today in the afternoon.

We headed of along Wentworth Drive and Norse Road. As we walked along we saw two male Pheasants trying to hide in the undergrowth. They where worthy of a picture, but to flighty to get close too. The birds in question where so close to the busy main road, and I am sure it did not do them any justice at all. I just hoped they did not decide to cross the road at all as they are a bit of a hazard with cars.

Then we turned left and along the A428 St Neots Road for a quarter of a mile. We headed up the Public Path up to Castle Mill Farm. As we walked up the path an Orange Tip Butterfly fluttered past, and landed on a white flowered Dead Nettle. We got a picture of it. It did not want to move away so seeing it was in our favour.

We walked through the Farm itself, and I could see a Muntjac Deer close to the edge of a field a quarter of a mile away in the distance. We looked at one another, and the deer ran of with its tail showing the white flash in the air, in disgust why we should be so interested in him. The movement of the deer sparked of movement from a Hare to run across the same field. The whole place was buzzing with wildlife. We thought this was going to be an enjoyable walk.

A Hoverfly flew close to us, and then a large Bumblebee buzzed loudly and then landed in scented wildflower for a second and flew off. Lots of different coloured wild flowers where everywhere. Speedwell, and Stitchwort was dotted about in large clumps, and looked well established where they grew.

A Song Thrush sang it song as loudly as it could and got our attention so we stopped and listened to the bird in question. He was too well hidden to be seen, and we just enjoyed his song instead.

We walked up towards Castlemill Sluice, which overlooked the quarries. The Quarry traffic was loud and rumbling. Lorries past us by. We stopped to look over the area, and there was quite a concentration of small lakes connected onto the quarry area itself.
I understood that the area is going to be transformed into a Nature Reserve after the quarrying is complete. Even with the Quarry working there seemed to be an influx of many Waterfowl using the lakes. They seemed not worried about the noise at all.

We looked across the first lake, water shining in the sun. We could see at least 10 Cormorant's sitting around. They all had their own little island in the water. Some where sunning their bodies, now that the sun was blazing now. One bird looked although it was nesting by the position it was sitting in.
Maybe there was other reasons of course. One other just stood there motionless watching the world go by.
A large group of Tufted Ducks where moving around in front of the Cormorant's, The Tufted Ducks never remained still at all. A little diving here and there, then the birds reassembled as a group once more

Then some activity caught my eye in the air and my OH said that Sand Martins where flying about above us in all directions, and then they skimmed the water looking for insects no doubt. Not sure how many that where around, but they seemed to like the area.

Then a call from a Lapwing, and this one flew up in the air ,‘Peewit’ calls where heard easily, the rounded wings showing, as the bird flew close by us gave the game away to what species it was.
It did a full circle and landed close to the Cormorant's. I knew there was more than one Lapwing in question as they where calling to one another.
The position of the birds made it clear to me that they where safe away from predators like foxes causing problems due their nesting needs, I am sure that the water in the quarries is very deep, and that gives the birds protection too.
Just before we moved on a couple of Sand Martins flew above my head and descended, and skimmed the surface of the water no doubt for insects.
Then another couple of birds appeared. Wonder how many where 'resident' birds in the Sluice area as it was well liked by them.
A pair of Partridges appeared over the edge of the quarry closest to us and then disappeared once more over the edge of the shore line.

We carried on walking. I past a few of clumps of Cranesbill dotted along the pathway. What a beautiful shade of purple.
A lot of Yaffling, coming from a Green Woodpecker illuminated the sound barrier in the distance, but the bird was to far away to see with the naked eye.
Now the woodland was becoming more apparent, and the Yaffling still continued as we walked along the pathway. A Blackcap gave his verbal tune out of the nearest bush. I tried to get closer to the bird, and off he went as they do. They are impossible to see, as they always seen to know that you are there watching them.

A Chiff Chaff did his ‘Chiff Chaff’ call. He was sitting on the top spindly branch of a tree and we where lucky to see him, and then he flew off elsewhere. A Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly flew in front of us and did not stop for us so he travelled on to find his favourite patch of nettles somewhere.
The area was covered with Dead Nettles and the butterflies seen to like these as much as stinging nettles. That appeared to be the case from what I could see on my travels in this particular patch

We came across another small lake. There was a lone Coot, and some Mallard's. One bird I thought may have been a Shoveler, as the size of the bill was very prominent. The bird was too far away to be absolutely sure but I will look another time. Maybe another person will see the bird and confirm the sighting.

Lots of male Chaffinches where singing their hearts out in every tree and bush, as we walked along and there appeared to be a bird in every tree as we continued our walk. The Robins made their presence known and it was although they wanted to look at us as much as we wanted to look at them – they are fearless of people.
Lots of Woodpigeons flews in all directions, and a couple of Magpies sat in the nearby branches. A Magpies tail is a giveaway to the bird's flight each time - so unmistakable.

We where now at the point where we where parallel to the motorway A421, and we where walking along beside a tall fence, there to divide the roadway from the public path. As we where walking along, we could see a Kestrel hovering in the distance looking at potential prey at the side of the A421 Motorway.
It hovered for a couple of minutes, and then flew off again, and it repeated doing these same actions at least 6 times, until it flew away for us away from the area of the Motorway. It was not having any luck finding its food source so it decided to move on elsewhere.

Another lake came into view and it was more sterile and had a colony of Black Headed Gulls who where happily sitting on the shoreline preening themselves. Some where swimming in the lake itself.
Not much vegetation existed around this particular lake so we thought it was still in its infancy. Time would give the much needed vegetation for the additional wildlife

We carried on past a field, and Skylarks appeared to be everywhere. We where filled with the Skylarks calls as they seemed to liked to be right above our heads. It gave the feeling of peace and summer all at one time.
Funnily, the way they acted, it was although they where chasing us away from their territory. At one point I saw one land in the field, and I thought it might be the area that this one was nesting in.
The camouflage of the bird is amazing, and It must be hard to see on the ground,
We could see two wildfowl in the nearby field looking like they where sleeping. They had their heads turned around and sitting on their bodies. It was a male and female Mallard duck. They looked out of place in the nearby field.
Yet, another Hare ran in front of us only to disappear once more. There seemed to be many Hares on this route.

Then the next well established lake had many more Tufted Ducks. There must have been well over 30 of them – all paired off in male and females. It was obvious by the colouration of the birds that they where in their pairs and where happy to be together as a group at the same time. No sparring occured between the group in question, just a peaceful group gathering. A lot more Sandmartins could be seen and heard.
Another lone Coot swims close by. Two Mute Swans stay close together, no doubt a pair There was a lone Great Crested Grebe, with a full head of feathers for display purposes. A couple of Canadian Geese sat on the shoreline in the distance. So this lake had some interesting wildlife to look at and observe. I am sure there where other species the but an central island hid some of the activity from our vision. A lot more Sandmartins could be seen and heard in the vacinity

Another Skylark makes its presence known to us as we walked along. Now we where getting closer to the Priory, and our walk was near enough complete. We pass the Sewage works, and towards the remote Car Park. As we walked along we looked to our right and we could see a Grey Heron through the bush thicket, and it was sitting on the side of the river. He seemed to sense we where looking at him, and he flew of as we tried to photograph him. Blast it, as it would have been a great picture.

Now we where getting into thicker Woodland and I could hear few Chiff Chaff's as we walked along parallel to Great River Ouse, and into Bedford itself. I heard one lone Willow Warbler. This was no doubt Warbler country so I listened for their calls. I could hear another Blackcap singing the bush nearby, and this one flew across to another tree and out of earshot. Why are they so illusive and they are so clever at keeping well hidden form view.
I had another look for the Grey Heron from earlier and as I walked down a trodden path to the rivers edge I disturbed a female Mallard which happed to be sitting on the ground. Poor thing – I must have scared her off. Hope that she was not nesting there as it is too exposed for her, as it is too near people scaring her al of the time.

At last we found the Grey Heron once more. I managed to get a picture but with our camera we where limited to what we could produce. At least you can see the Grey Heron in the picture.
I could hear a lot of Long Tail Tits twittering in a Ivy laden Tree nearby, and one flew off elsewhere, and I could see it disappearing over the trees.
A Magpie was now close by, and had disturbed a few birds and the frenzy of alarm calls appeared from all of the birds in the vicinity. The resident Tit family where showing their disapproval of the Magpies presence. The alarm calls where very apparent. At one stage I could hear one little bird calling loudly, the Magpie was so close and it looked like it was out on a mission to cause problems for this bird. I hoped that the bird was alright.

We passed the car park up towards the Beefeater Restaurant, and yet another Blackcap was singing in a bush nearby. I tried to do my undercover sneak up to the bird, and it disappeared into the scrubby bushes on the other side of the area. Blast it, for a third time on the same outing.

We continued towards the Beefeater Restaurant. Once there, I could hear the twittering of a Pied Wagtail close to the Restaurant building. We stopped off at the Bike shop for a look around. We then had a cup of Coffee and a relax for a while. After all we will have walked 10 miles in all, and that is a lot to do in one day for us.

Then another further walk to Bedford town centre. I could hear the same twittering from the Long Tail Tits from earlier. More Chiff Chaffs calling from the river bank on the opposite side from where we where walking.
We continued into the Priory Park itself and we saw another Grey Heron once more. This one saw us and was up and off again. I saw where it had moved too so I asked my OH to take a picture of it and he did so we have a picture of sorts but not as clear as we would like it to be.
There where a lot of wildflowers around and a clump of Marsh Marigolds caught my eye and we took a picture of the flowers. They are lovely to look at.

Lots of Mute Swans, Canadian Geese and Mallard ducks where around everywhere in Priory Park. As we walked parallel to the Great River Ouse we could see some very amorous Mute Swans.

Yes, Spring was here. I could feel a blush or two coming. The Swans where mating , and people just stopped In their tracks to hear what all of the rumpus was about. People where quite loud with their thoughts and where talking loudly to one another.
The Swans where not shy at all. Anyway it is Spring after all, and nature is nature

So enjoyed my walk, all 3 hours 30 minutes it, and we will do it again sometime. Got home tired, and will sleep well tonight.

Picture 1 - Herb Robert
Picture 2 - Sign Post of Castle Mill Sluice
Picture 3 - Cormorant's on Islands at lake within area of Sluice
Picture 4 - Road past Sewerage Works
Picture 5 - Sign Post

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
more photographs .....

Picture 6 - Owl box
Picture 7 - Grey Heron
Picture 8 - Marsh Marigold
Picture 9 - Ditto

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 90
Another Trip around Bedford through Castle Mill Sluice, circular walk back to

Hi there

Walk on 26/4/09

Due to the good weather we decided to walk around one of our many favourite patches, Castle Mill Sluice once more. I think we managed to clock up a 17 miles plus trip today, and really enjoyed the walk. It took us 5 hours in all. We set of a 3.30pm and walked until 8.30pm. So I think we will sleep well tonight.

We started walking along Wentworth Drive and made our way through the back way route of our walk this time. The back route around the back of the local Crematorium. This was to avoid the mainstream traffic on roads, and all the industrial estates nearby.

We headed up Hookhams Lane, Salph End. We walked along the Public access towards the pathways along beside Renhold Brook. As we went along beside the brook we could see fish swimming which we thought where Roach but very little ones. A Male Mallard appeared on his own in the narrow area of water and disappeared under the Water based plants. What a small confined space for a duck.

There where lots of butterflies everywhere. Lots of Orange Tips both Males and females, Whites Large and Small of the same species, Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshell, and lots of Male Brimstones. It was so fantastic to see so many butterflies moving around from all directions. Lots of nettles, and Dead Nettles (species) attracted all the Butterflies like nobodies business, and they loved the Nettle patches everywhere. It was at this point we started to notice how bedraggled the Peacock Butterflies where looking. Not in their best outfit for a photograph or two. Wonder why they looked worse for ware?

Then we walked through a large field of Oil Seed Rape. The sun was shining overhead, and the bird song was very apparent in the distance only and not in the field area itself. The crop was devoid of any living creature through the main bulk of the crop itself.

We reached some nearby Woodland. The songs of the birds became so alive it was beautiful to listen too. A Chiff Chaff calls, and the Blackcaps twittering became apparent. At one stage we could see this one particular Chiff Chaff singing from the top of a spindly tree. Not perturbed at our presence there at all while we looked through our binoculars at the bird itself.

Lots of ‘Yaffling’ from Green Woodpeckers from close quarters, and they where very difficult to see from where we where walking.. Another additional Willow Warbler joined the chorus and then another. It was Warblers heaven. It was Warbler land now and it was great to listen too anyday. It was like which Warbler could out sing which, song wise, and they where all out to win the show.

We headed towards the A428 and we crossed the A428 and headed towards the Castle Mill Farm. We walked through the Farm yard with endless Butterflies fluttering around us. I cannot remember seeing so many at this time of year, It was fabulous to see so many at one time. We passed fields of horses and My OH could see Swallows moving about overhead. Another great sight to see as we moved on, on our way.

Two Pied Wagtails moved about the fields nearby, and they stayed together. One came closer to investigate us, and them he flew off to join his mate. The horses and ponies in the field carried on grazing, and where indifferent to what was going on away from their existence.

We headed of towards the Castle Mill Sluice. As we did the sounds of the Green Woodpeckers ‘Yaffling’ became apparent close to where we where walking. At one point we thought the Green Woodpecker would make an appearance, but not to be in our case this time around

We stopped, and looked over the lakes and noticed how the water level had gone down since our last visit a few weeks ago. Still despite of the lack of water a lot of birds seen to be there doing what come naturally to them.
We could see 2 Oyster Catchers fishing on one of the sand banks together preening. There was one Mute Swan behind the Oyster Catchers. A few Mallards dotted around here and there.
A lone Heron remained hunched a still further away from the Oyster Catchers. Two Cormorants remained together sitting on a small sand bank. Overhead a couple of Lapwings flew about doing their 'Peewit' calls. They looked although as they where together as a pair. One landed and stood there close to the Oyster Catchers for a few minuets, and then carried on with flying around making more ‘Peewit noises’ as they flew overhead. They behaved although they wanted us to look at them in the skies above.
Further away a Little Egret stood by himself, and stayed close to where the Mute Swan was moving about in the water.
A lone Redshank moves about feeding and it seemed to be on its own with no other members of its species to consider. The area had produced some good feeding for certain birds and that was a good thing to know in itself.
Two Tufted Ducks where moving between the small island together so they must have been a pair.

We carried on past the Quarry lakes, and into some more Woodland. A number of assorted butterflies flew past us. Then we noticed how many Bee-flies where around, first static in the air then they moved for a few inches, Then they became static continually buzzing as they do. Then they flew around a little more. What intriguing insects that they are, and very different to Bumble Bees from all angles.

A Robin sings like he was a mission form a nearby tree. He caused us to stop in our tracks so we could watch him giving his vocal performance of a lifetime. Robins are such beautiful little singers at all times.

As we walked forward a Heron flies overhead in their slow motion flight as they do. Then we decided to use one of the lookout boards set up for the purpose. We stood on the boardwalk and as we did I could see a ‘immature’ Grass Snake’ close to where I stood. He was tiny with a black head . a pale/whitestripe around his neck, and a greyish body. I have never seen so one close up in my life so I was chuffed to see one.

We past another area of water and we could hear Coots splashing about. A couple of Canada Geese stayed together a part of a group, as they do.

Another few Warblers made their presence known as we walked past some more scrubby trees. A Black Cap decided to fill the air with a fluty call. It was lovely to listen too, and so relaxing to the mind. A Blackbird decided to let out a full Thrush chorus of music. Then a Song Thrush tries to compete with his best song he could. He was a lot more successful over the male Blackbird to a point. What bird can best a song from a Blackbird - not many?

We passed a bush and we could hear this beautiful song. The bird who was making the song decided to show himself. We could identify it was a Lesser Whitethroat, singing his little heart out on his favourite bush.
A Muntjac deer makes his presence known by running away from us with his tail held high in disapproval as he disappeared in the undergrowth close by to our area where we where walking.

We past another small area of water and could see a Moorhen moving about the green undergrowth along then another couple of Canada Geese. Then a display of Crows appeared as they where playing with the thermals and where enjoying going round and round in the air overhead. It was although they had found some prey and where watching it, and we knew this was not the case. They where very acrobatic in their movements, as they where and this caught our attention.

Another couple of birds are flying overhead and we could see they where Cormorants flying in unison with one another. They where slow and very precise, as not to let each other out of their sights. We know that they where heading back towards the Castle Mill sluice.

We carried on, and could see two Speckled Wood Butterflies flying around together. Lots of butterflies seem to be in pairs so it must be the time of year for all of life to continue as it does. Just really good to see them doing so well as they are.

A Male Blackcap gave out another fluted song. Then another Warbling song was brought to our attention. We think that it was a 'certain' tune from a Nightingale. The Tropical tune which was away above any tune I have heard from any songbird. So illusive as they are as we could not see him at all. The song caused us to stop in our tracks to listen each time he stopped only to start once more

Another field, and we could see lots of Canadian Geese. and a couple of Farmyard Geese for good measure. They where at ease with each other at least for the good for the species. We passed a field full of Magpies dotted about everywhere. A little group who wanted to be with each other at al times

We where getting close to the end of our walk. We made headway back along the same area of Woodland we started of by, and passed a few fields. The Skylarks where everywhere. At one stage I could count 5 birds in close proximity to one another.. I was not sure whether they where pairs or they where competing males. Their songs rang through the air for miles. Lovely summer singers as they are, and they make a summer evening what it should be.

A Song Thrush sang from a tree nearby and he could sing so well and it made us look up at the tree in awe and the power of the birds song. Another slight call, and we could see a Great Spotted Woodpecker doing his best to make himself known. We looked for a couple of minutes and could see him sitting on the trunk of a nearby tree.
We continued and I could hear Yellow Hammers everywhere as we walked through the fields towards the nearby Public house and we sat down, and had a well deserved Beer. We where both bushed on our feet. As we sat, the Yellow Hammers where calling everywhere. They where very vocal to one another and it was although they where in unison with one another,

As we went through the last area of our walk another Great Spotted Woodpecker made its presence known to us along with the ‘Yaffling’ from a Green Spotted Woodpecker once more. This is the best time of year to see and hear all types of birds at the moment. It was satisfying that we saw so much in our day.

Now it was getting late in the day and we where being to feel the effects of walking for so long, and it was taking its toll, ouch!!! Still we enjoyed it all and would do it again any day. It was great to see a beautiful sunset, just to end our ‘fabulous’ day out

Picture 1 - Castle Mill Sluice lake view
Picture 2 - Oil Seed Rape Field
Picture 3 - Peacock
Picture 4 - Walkway
Picture 5 - Grass Snake

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
and more pictures...

Picture 6 - River
Picture 7 - River
Picture 8 - Woods
Picture 9 - Old Railway Walk
Picture 10 -Willington sign

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 96
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
Castlemill Sluice, Bedford. Part 1 of 2

Castlemill Sluice, Bedford. Part 1 of 2

My partner and I decided to do a little bird watching today. At 4.30pm we set off, we parked the car close to the destined walk – we had a lot to carry of equipment, and we though it was a wise thing to do anyway. So we took our scope, binoculars, and camera out with us for the latter part of the afternoon. We where hoping that we would see some interesting ‘ticks’ in the birding area. We walked though Castlemill Farm, and could hear all the twitterings of Swallows and House Martins around our heads. They where everywhere we looked and they swooped over our heads and the buildings with the greatest of ease. The birds tails where angled to suit the birds flying skills, and they cascaded everywhere we looked. What beautiful little birds that they are, and they are so hectic in their lives and they need to be admired for the flying machines that they are.

The sky had dulled over and the mugginess was in the air. We opened and shut the first public access gate. We walked past the fields of horses. The horses interacted with each other as we walked through. The Goldfinches moved around in little groups tinkling as they went about their business in the nearby Trees.

There was a lot of little flying biting insects everywhere. So the Swallows and the House Martins must have been having a field day with all the food they could eat while in flight. There was no shortage of food for them at all.

A Rabbit shot in front of us and bounded full speed off into the undergrowth at the end of the nearby field, and the horses never flinched at all at all the fuss the rabbit made. They continued eating the grass and flicking off the flies with their tails.

We walked through the far end gate, and shut it behind us and make our way towards the Sluice. We looked about, and I took some pictures of certain wild flowers. There was lots of White Campion growing everywhere. The Teasel had started to blossom so god to attract a lot of Goldfinches. There was Periwinkle intertwined with all the other plants in the nearby verge. The colours where vibrant, and stood out amongst the other plants growing in the same area. Some of the Periwinkle had grown very tall, and leggy looking. It ability to ramble over the ground was not very apparent.

A few black Slugs where making their way to the shelter of the nearest clump of overgrown grass. A Snail makes his way across the road and we thought he was very photogenic so we took a picture of him. A great moving snack for a hungry Thrush, and I wondered how long he would last exposed as he was in the bird world.

We move on once more and we could see a Goldfinch sitting on top of a nearby tree singing his heart out for the whole world to see. We set up the scope to see him but we where not quick enough and he flew off. We need to be quicker to catch our subject. Not the easiest thing to do at times. Some birding days just seen to be better than others, if the subject allows you observe them in their natural environment all the better.

We walked up to the Sluice and over the bridge and we could see two Mute Swans to our left. No sign of any Cygnets, so they may have been youngsters themselves. Maybe they had not found mates, and where left on their own

We walk over the fenced off Lagoon, and I was surprised to see how the water had gone up since my last trip here. Lots more bird activity going on. We could see a group of Common Terns sitting together on one of the island. They where feeding each other with fish – maybe a mating ritual or something like that. There must have been at least 20 of them or more. Great to see birds so many in one place. They looked at ease in their newly found patch. A couple of Mallards sat amongst them sleeping. A Coot swims past the area in a silhouette. A few Tufted Ducks dotted about here. and there. Some where sleeping with their heads over their backs.

Picture 1 - Banded Demoiselle Damselfly
Picture 2 - Common Blue Damselfly
Picture 3 - White Campion
Picture 4 - Common Tern island
Picture 5 -Bridge over motorway

Attachments

• Banded Demoiselle.JPG
    Banded Demoiselle.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Damesefly1.JPG
    Damesefly1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 76
  • White Campion.JPG
    White Campion.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Common Terns2.JPG
    Common Terns2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Bridge over motorway.JPG
    Bridge over motorway.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 94
Castlemill Sluice, Bedford. Part 2 of 2

Castlemill Sluice, Bedford. Part 2 of 2

The weather had become more overcast and it was starting to look very thundery indeed. We used the scope for a while, and we could see 3 Black Headed Gulls on another very small island. One had the distinctive chocolate coloured mask on its head, so a definite give away to mature breeding birds.

Another longer legged bird wanders close into the view finder of the Scope. I could see that it was a Red Shank due to the colour of the legs. There have been sightings of Green Sandpiper too. I am sure the legs where the wrong colour to be a Green Sandpiper.
I look over the lake and a lone Grey Heron sits on his little piece of land all hunched up as they so. There was no movement from him at all. We where under the impression he was having a sleep after a three course fish dinner. He was happy in his patch and that was all that mattered to him.
There was a Shelduck sitting in the distance, and another close by. They are very distinctive coloured birds, as they are to any birder. Great to have the scope as it made birds easier to ID.

Another lone bird stood amongst the Terns and that was an Oyster Catcher. He was moving about searching for food, and he just looked out of place. Usually very noisy birds, and never quiet about anything. I wondered where his own kind had gone in the grand scheme of things.

A slow walk past the other side of the lagoon to see any new interest in the area. On the river embankment, and we spotted two species of Damselflies together. One was a 'Banded Demoiselle' Damselflies in pairs and ‘Common Blue’ Damselflies, and they where in pairs everywhere. We got a picture of the Banded Demoiselle Damselflies and the Common Blue Damselfly – some pictures better than others.
We moved on towards the motorway bridge, and wandered under the bridge. We continued on our way to see the other lagoons in order to see what was around the area. We past by the next area of water. It was devoid of wildlife, as always. I never understood why, the place had no attraction for the birds at all.

We moved on once more, and headed towards the overhead motorway bridge. As we walked a Skylark twittered in the distance. The first rumble of thunder filled the air and we where now walking about in an oncoming storm. At least the storm as far enough away probably as far as Milton Keynes. Let it stay there we said between ourselves. We carried on regardless, and stopped off at the next lagoon. It has a few Tufted Ducks, and some other Wildfowl. Some sat on the embankment, and preened themselves, and others moved around although they meant business in their daily lives. There were a couple of resident Coots swimming about in their jarring manner that they do with their bodies. Lots of head bobbing going on, although they always want to get to their destination really quickly.

A couple of Great Crested Grebes moved around close to the Tufted Ducks, with no sign of any known youngsters at all. I looked through scope to the bank on the other side, and I could see a Jackdaw passing behind the birds we had in our scope. Some Wildfowl noises filled the air. Lots of ducks flying about in the sky above us. We continue to look up. and there are Sand Martins flying around the area of water. They fly low to skim for insects no doubt. The thundery weather had brought out a lot of insects. I put up my hood to escape them from landing in my hair eeek!

The weather was now turning wet, the lightening flashes where lighting up the sky. Thunder rumbled on and on. A lot of the motorway traffic drowned out the noise the thunder made. We turned around and made our way back. We had another good look at the Sluice Lagoon and could see the same number of Common Terns are still sitting still on the islands. They where at home in this area, and had made it their own. I really hope that they are here to stay now.

We walked back, and past the many Blackcaps singing from the nearby trees. The world went quiet as the rain, thunder and lightening took over the area. The rain had started to become heavy and the smell of hot and rain mixed to produce the familiar smells of nature. It was although all of the birds had gone into hiding. A Blackbird sits on top of a telegraph pole singing - claiming his patch. A Mistle Thrush a nearby tree, tries to out sing him. So there was a mishmash of songs from both birds. It is hard to decipher from a person who is close to such a mixed songs.

We had to speed up, and we walked back to our car, and went home to download my pictures and type this report to post on BF. We may go out bird watching tomorrow but it is weather dependant so we will see what we feel like on the day.

Picture 6 - Poppy
Picture 7 - Blackbird
Picture 8 - Track to Overhead Bridge
Picture 9 - Side view over Sluice Lagoon
Picture 10 - Dead Lagoon devoid of wildfowl.

Thank you for reading

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• Poppy.JPG
    Poppy.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Blackbird.JPG
    Blackbird.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 73
  • Track to bridge.JPG
    Track to bridge.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Side view over Sluice Lagoon.JPG
    Side view over Sluice Lagoon.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Dead Lagoon.JPG
    Dead Lagoon.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back