• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cat staking out nestbox (1 Viewer)

mcdowella

I have a woodcrete nestbox with Great Tits in it, and obvious sounds of nestlings coming from it. It is on the garage wall, just above head height. For about the last week I have come back home and found next door's cat sitting underneath it. Is this common? How worried should I be? I don't know whether the chicks will be able to fly from the moment they leave the box, or if they are likely to find themselves falling down and ending up as cat food.

Any suggestions? I presume that if I moved the box over vegetation next year that the cat would just sit on the nearest clear spot, waiting to pounce. I do have an ultrasonic animal repeller, but I'm using that to stop cats stalking birds that come in to feed, and it only seems to keep a very small area clear. I don't want to hassle next door, or do anything too unfriendly to their cat.

A well aimed water pistol usually keeps cats away. Obviously it won't help while you are out. We used to have a cat and he never caught any of the fledglings even though he used to sit gazing at their nests.

It is very common mcdowella. I've had two cats after my Blue Tit babies. A dog barking does the trick, but if you don't have one, water is definitely the answer as Kits said. I don't have a water pistol so throw a pint in their direction, but anything'll do really.

I bought one of those water canon thingies from Woolies. Gives a 30ft jet. About £7.00. Money well spent and endless fun. Works on seagulls too!

You could sprinkle ground white pepper about the ground in the area around the nestbox, once a cat gets a sniff (and the sneezes) from that it will keep away.

Not knowing very much about houses for Great Tits, I would like to venture this piece of advice. Take 1/4 inch cage wire (square) and make a box out of it to fit over the opening, with of course, the ends open. Make it as long as you see fit, maybe four inches? This will at least prevent the cat from reaching its paw/leg into the nest box and grabbing one of the chicks, and the birds should be okay with the extended length, although, it might be too late to do that now that the babies are hatched, etc.
I hope I explained my solution clear enough.
Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back