• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CATCHBIRD - new Ghostly Quiz (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hello all,

Welcome to the new Ghostly Quiz. You don't need too much skill.

It's really simple - just say what you see. Each picture or set of pictures makes up a bird name. Simply name the birds. All are recorded in the Western Palearctic.

Please pm me with your answers - anyone can take part.

These pics will be up for a week, then no's 4-6 will be posted.

They are so easy!!

Have fun!

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANSWERS ONTO THIS THREAD!

gv

Last edited:
..just thought I'd bump this up to the top.

Only six participants so far - is it too easy? Too silly? Too difficult?

No prizes, just five minutes of fun. Come on down and have a little go....

GV

Thanks Oilbird - and for your answers.

No, I don't read any newspapers; I was just thinking one day of how could I make a bird quiz interesting, and came up with illustrating the names with non-bird pictures. It was the same idea as Catchphrase (the TV programme), so I took it from there.

Gv

Ghostly Vision said:
..just thought I'd bump this up to the top.

Only six participants so far - is it too easy? Too silly? Too difficult?

No prizes, just five minutes of fun. Come on down and have a little go....

GV

I think perhaps it is because its too easy.

Next time maybe you could do more together (if you can think of enough).

Great idea though.

Sean F said:
I think perhaps it is because its too easy.

Is it? Number three, I suppose obvious when you see it, is currently stumping me! Took me a while to get number one too!!! Perhaps this is not my natural sphere ...you'll get my answers when number three clicks ;)

shucks and I thought I was doing so well!:egghead:

"If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments" haven't you seen that bit? :gh: You really shouldn't be showing me up in public

erm... well we seem to be stuck on the same one then!

D

I know I've only just found this, but Nos 2 & 3 have me foxed.

It's good though GV, thanks. I'll do my best and think I've just sussed No.2, we'll see.

It's ok Delia, not just you.....I went back to look for No 4!!!!! Thanks Jos, good job someone's on the ball - cos it ain't me!!!

Sue.

Jos Stratford said:
Is it? Number three, I suppose obvious when you see it, is currently stumping me! Took me a while to get number one too!!! Perhaps this is not my natural sphere ...you'll get my answers when number three clicks ;)

Number 3 is a "kick yourself when you do get it" answer. I know I did,it took me hours to get it yesterday. Stupid thing is, I'd actually seen one on my way in to work that morning! (Hope I've got it right now.)

Phil

Just a few extra points here....

BIRD NAMES; I use "English" ones. If a bird in modern vernacular has "Eurasian" or "common" or "Northern", or similar, I am not using that - it would be silly, and I don't like this over-qualification. So apologies to our overseas quizzers for that one. Birds where there used to be a single name use just that. Others where there are more than one species which all have/had more than one-word names are used as such. I'll try and use modern names where possible.

FRUIT IDENTIFICATION: My suggestion to the mods for a Fruit i.d. forum has been rejected on the grounds of immaturity and controversiality. In the meantime I can only apologize if people think no. 3 is a fruit NOT named after a bird (or vice versa)

ONE-PICTURE QUESTIONS: there will be more to come, since you all like them so much!

EASY QUESTIONS: See, it works every time - if you make the quiz really easy at the start, lots of people have a go. We're now up to 23 lucky punters. Most of you have all three of course. They will get a little more abstract and difficult as we go along.

Thanks to all for taking part. Any suggestions for bird names for me to include in future rounds are gratefully received. It won't give you any advantage as there's no prize and I won't necessarily use them all. And you'll still have to work them out.

I hereby attach numbers 4-6. Anyone who has already guessed 1-3 please submit answers to these, anyone else, give me six answers.

Delia - can I have your answer to number 7 at the same time as well, please? ;)

PS APOLOGIES IF NO.6 IS A BF MEMBER!!

GV

Attachments

• catchbird4.jpg
    catchbird4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 167
  • catchbird5.jpg
    catchbird5.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 155
  • catchbird 6.jpg
    catchbird 6.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Ghostly Vision said:
Delia - can I have your answer to number 7 at the same time as well, please? ;)

GV

Of course you can GV :brains: - will I get a bonus point if it's right :-O

D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back