• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CATCHBIRD - new Ghostly Quiz (1 Viewer)

...And now Frecklez has told me, I can only add that under the strict rules of Catchbird (as invented by me ten seconds ago) it's not technically 100%; perhaps a letter "a" in the first picture? As for oblique it's probably about two louder than that!!! Especially like the use of the cartoon, though can't imagine what it says in the blanked out bit.

No 2 Comes under the same category, naughty.

3 is my favourite I have to say.

GV

CornishExile said:
Thank you! I was rather proud of that one ;)

ce

Or maybe you could have used a certain Simpson character & GV's no.1) but then that would be equally obscure. (o)<

Dave J

Sean F said:
Here are a couple.

The second is ridiculously easy, these are just testers.
The first requires some creative thinking! (anyone whos seen the QI episode on TV with Rory McGrath might be able to get it)

I can think of 2 for no.1) One is found near water & the other in scrub in the Med. Got a feeling the first one's right tho!

DJ

I am fairly sure I have Sean F's and Cornish Exile's (at least 2 and 3), but given GV's comments about his last three offerings, I have lost confidence in my answers!

Here's three of my own...

Adam

Attachments

• Pic One.jpg
    Pic One.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Pic Two.jpg
    Pic Two.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Pic Three.jpg
    Pic Three.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 84
redeyedvideo said:
I can think of 2 for no.1) One is found near water & the other in scrub in the Med. Got a feeling the first one's right tho!
Hmmm... you can add a New Zealand wader and a tropical tern to the possible solutions.

Recon i've got Cornish Exiles 3...

Playing catch up after GV's rather harsh marking!! haha

How about a bonus point for this....the fish photo....location = Isles of Scilly, Poll Bank 2 miles past Bishop Rock Lighthouse, boat = The Sappire, the arms = Joe Pender, the skipper, and the fish = a ****!!!!

Ghostly Vision said:
Sean, do you want people to PM you with answers so everyone can have a go? (Not that I have the first clue what they are yet).

Reference the latest pics, 13 is as expected proving difficult, but more people have got it correct than no. 15 at the moment.

Remember, if it doesn't sound quite right - it isn't.

Remember too, there is usually a reason for every picture, quite specifically in the case of 15.

Luckily there's only one more difficult one to go before I sign off.....

GV

Yeah PM me, answers on Saturday evening.

Ghostly Vision said:
...And now Frecklez has told me, I can only add that under the strict rules of Catchbird (as invented by me ten seconds ago) it's not technically 100%; perhaps a letter "a" in the first picture? As for oblique it's probably about two louder than that!!! Especially like the use of the cartoon, though can't imagine what it says in the blanked out bit.

No 2 Comes under the same category, naughty.

3 is my favourite I have to say.

GV

Guilty as charged, and I'll try to adhere to the new, strict rules of Catchbird... after this next one that occured to me this evening on the ferry home.

Seems a shame to waste it.

ce

ps - an "a" in the first one? So that would read "Jesus loves you... but I think you're a cat". Well, obviously!

Attachments

• Abother catchbird copy.jpg
    Abother catchbird copy.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
the oilbird said:
How about a bonus point for this....the fish photo....location = Isles of Scilly, Poll Bank 2 miles past Bishop Rock Lighthouse, boat = The Sappire, the arms = Joe Pender, the skipper, and the fish = a ****!!!!

Yikes.

You're one or more of the following - a sea angler; sh#t hot with Google; a copyright lawyer.

I hope it's not the latter!

ce

Either you guys are too subtle or I'm thick.

Think I'll go back to putting some of my own on here.....here are the final four.

Thanks to Stephen Dunstan for the idea for no.19 - genius!

Attachments

• catchbird 16.jpg
    catchbird 16.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 74
  • catchbird17.jpg
    catchbird17.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 77
  • catchbird18.jpg
    catchbird18.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 99
  • catchbird19.jpg
    catchbird19.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 92
No problem with 17,18 & 19 (te-he) but is there more to 16 than I'm seeing? I'd hate to fall down at this late stage. :eek!:

DJ

p.s. 17's a cracker too :clap:

Last edited:
As many people have got, the answers to mine were:

Bearded Tit (as coined by Rory McGrath when describing what he would call a TV show with himself and Bill Oddie in),

and;

Goosander

Thanks to all who answered.

Sean F said:
As many people have got, the answers to mine were:

Bearded Tit (as coined by Rory McGrath when describing what he would call a TV show with himself and Bill Oddie in),

and;

Goosander

Thanks to all who answered.
I thought Bill Oddie was a Dipper. Oh, well.

Answers to my three:

1. Batt + El + Lure = Bateleur
2. Grape + Lover = Grey Plover
3. Lon + Gear + Dowel = Long-eared Owl.

Adam

Blackstart said:
I thought Bill Oddie was a Dipper. Oh, well.

Thats a good answer too! As was Xenospizas suggestion of Wrybill.

Here is another that is not quite so subjective.

(you can only look at each pic in turn)

You have to know about football to know who the person is I am afraid.

Another coming up.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 79
Another.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 62.JPG
    62.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
My last one for a while...

(How to follow the inspired genius of Grape Lover? ;) )

ce

Attachments

• Final catchbird.jpg
    Final catchbird.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back