• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CATCHBIRD - new Ghostly Quiz (2 Viewers)

Xenospiza said:
Are these still birds? I would swear that Little Britain one is a Painted Lady...
Absolutely no clue on any...

All 5 are the same clue.

Lady... a.m.... and so on ;)

Okay, answers (though I suspect you all got them quickly anyway)...

Bar Till + God Wit = Bar-tailed Godwit
Bramble + Ling = Brambling
The Who + Poo = Hoopoe
Black Brow + Albert + Ross = Black-browed Albatross

and my favourite,

Fears Petrol = Fea's Petrel

That's all folks!

ce

CornishExile said:
Okay, answers (though I suspect you all got them quickly anyway)...

Bar Till + God Wit = Bar-tailed Godwit
Bramble + Ling = Brambling
The Who + Poo = Hoopoe
Black Brow + Albert + Ross = Black-browed Albatross

and my favourite,

That's all folks!

ce

I thought that was Eduard Munch's "Scream"?

Well, Cornish, the Norwegian Air seems to have got to you.....

Blackstart - fantastic, but I still have no idea how you worked out Bateleur?

And isn't that a Drumstick not a baton?

I'm just a simple guy me......

GV

:t:

Ghostly Vision said:
I thought that was Eduard Munch's "Scream"?

Well, Cornish, the Norwegian Air seems to have got to you.....

Blackstart - fantastic, but I still have no idea how you worked out Bateleur?

And isn't that a Drumstick not a baton?

I'm just a simple guy me......

GV

:t:
Bateleur is from batt insulation, Chicago's elevated railway (known affectionately as the "El"), and a fishing lure (the easy one).

The "drumstick" is a French dowel rolling pin.

Never would have gotten CE's Fea's Petrel in a million years, though I did get the petrel part correct.

Cheers for the quiz and the opportunity for audience participation!

Adam

Harry Hussey said:
Am I the only one who finds Sean F's pics impossible?
Not really – Blackstart's were (very good)!
The Lady... I saw when I knew it was just one bird (and not five) (any way, little choice left).
The other one is something ([easy bit of the clue])led, but who's the guy?

CornishExile said:
and my favourite,

That's all folks!

ce

I hate to be pedantic but the pump is clearly labelled BP DERV, i.e. diesel and the picture shows Munch's the scream with the red sky of a storm created by a volcanic eruption or some other natural phenomenom at the time, so I'm having it as a very obscure British Storm Diesel, thanks. ;) More please.

DJ

Last edited:
...See my forthcoming Catchbirds involving pictures of Richard Scimitar-babbler, Fred Kingfisher, Arthur Great northern diver and Fiona Bruce's Scops owl.

The answers to the last ones of mine will go up here tomorrow (Wednesday).

For future Catchbird setters, might I point out the rules of a pure and acceptable clue:

1. There must be no missing letters in the picture clues
2. Pictures must represent a word or part of a word either fully correctly, or at least phonetically correctly. For example, I wouldn't really accept "lure" for "leur" which is prnounced "lerr" not "lewer".
3. There must be no repeats of parts of words when two pictures are combined (e.g in the Goosander answer, we have goose - sander, which breaks this rule. It should have been Goo-sander or Goose-and-er etc)
4. Pictures must relate directly to the clue given within it; e.g. if we want to depict a lover, we should perhaps use Casanova, or Romeo/Juliet rather than someone who could be a character name, own name, something completely different). Otherwise I think they become too oblique.
5. If you find any of mine that do not conform to any or all of rules 1-4, there are no rules 1-4!

Now we have set the official rules, would anyone else like a quick go? I have been promised by one or two of you that you might.......

GV

Ghostly Vision said:
Pictures must represent a word or part of a word either fully correctly, or at least phonetically correctly. For example, I wouldn't really accept "lure" for "leur" which is prnounced "lerr" not "lewer".
And here I thought Bateleur rhymed with "masseur", which can be pronounced "ma-soor" where I come from (the United States).

I can assure you I won't try to come up with pictures to spell out Brünnich's Guillemot!
:eek!:

Adam

Blackstart said:
And here I thought Bateleur rhymed with "masseur", which can be pronounced "ma-soor" where I come from (the United States).

I can assure you I won't try to come up with pictures to spell out Brünnich's Guillemot!
:eek!:

Adam

Hi Adam,

Well of course the two do rhyme, but in my phonetic rendition I was using the root French pronounciation, rather than an Anglicised one.

I'm such a pedant! Or is that peasant?

Didn't realise you were from the U.S.

GV

I'm looking for two American birds (even though the guy is a Czech).

Attachments

• guess-1.JPG
    guess-1.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 110
  • guess-2.JPG
    guess-2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 89
My latest were:

Spectacle...L.E.D...Eidur - Spectacled Eider

Lady...a.m...Hurst...fez...ant - Lady Amhurst's Pheasant

Alright, I know they don't comply with the new rules!

I am now bowing out of the catchbird game with immediate affect! I can't think of any more!

Xenospiza said:
I'm looking for two American birds (even though the guy is a Czech).

Second one has to be Roadrunner. Can't quite get my head around the first one yet...

MSA said:
Second one has to be Roadrunner. Can't quite get my head around the first one yet...
The first one is deceptively clever. Excellent, Xenospiza!

But is White-rumped Zatopek on the American list?

Adam

Very good Xeno - I am struggling though!!

Sean F - as far as I'm concerned yours are good enough under the rules - only a single missing "S".

Anyway, the answers to the outstanding ones are as follows:

10:Razorbill
11: House Martin
12: White throat-ed needle-tail
13:pint-ale = Pintail
14:Sooty turn = Sooty tern
15:Egyptian night - jar. Sorry, no points for just Nighjar!! The night was definitely an Egyptian one!
16:Robin (Hood). Given that the film and the Actor were Amrican, A bonus point to anyone who gave American Robin as their answer
17:Cream-coloured corsa = CC courser
18: Dalmatian pelican (Crossing)
19: Stella-cider = Steller's eider. Magnificent, thanks Stephen D.

Rather than attach all the scores I can just say that I reckon six people managed 100% correct answers, with a few more on 17 or 18 out of 19. Most of those that had a go at some, not all, pictures, got most or all correct.

Well done everyone - I've really enjoyed this one.

I'm away for ten days from Tuesday 3rd, so I'll see you all back here after then, probably with some blurred pictures or crops from Kuwait!!

GV

Ghostly Vision said:
Well done everyone - I've really enjoyed this one.

I'm away for ten days from Tuesday 3rd, so I'll see you all back here after then, probably with some blurred pictures or crops from Kuwait!!

GV

Well done yourself Sean, I've thoroughly enjoyed my venture down to these parts after 2 years as a member and many more as a casual visitor. Enjoy Q8 and don't see too many....

Dave J

Attachments

• crabplovers.jpg
    crabplovers.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I'll provide you with the answers:
1. (Northern) Cardinal (note the words on the card).
2. (Lesser) Roadrunner (Zatopek, arguably there is no greater (road)runner! Thought of that reasoning after I posted it though... so Greater would be defendable too).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back