• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charente- France, Sparrowhawk?, 02/06/2023 (1 Viewer)

It's still a clear goshawk. All the diagnostic features present on the previous iterations of the photos are still present on these versions. If you're not happy with it, then put it down as an unknown, but you have been told what it is, and more importantly why it is what it is, by a number of very experienced and knowledgeable observers, including some with particular expertise with raptors. If you do not want to take the advice of such observers, by all means leave the bird unidentified in your records, but then why ask for such advice in the first place? If you require further help coming to your own conclusion, try here:

Northern Goshawk flight identification and ageing in the UK - Revised and updated
Thanks, I’ll use this for my next trip.

you have been told what it is, and more importantly why it is what it is, by a number of very experienced and knowledgeable observers, including some with particular expertise with raptors. If you do not want to take the advice of such observers...
Wooo... And people tell me I'm prescriptive, arrogant and aggressive. Excellent! 🤣
In fact, nowhere has the OP indicated that he '[does] not want to take the advice' - simply that he is not personally happy and would like better photos - which is a thoroughly commendable attitude towards getting something on one's list. The problem that you have with his attitude is a problem of your own making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back