• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (18 Viewers)

Mark - don't forget to mention the female blue & white flycatcher, crested goshawk, 3 yellow bitterns and 2 Black Naped Orioles amongst those you mentioned and others ;)

I know McMadd will be updating his thread with pictures, but for a quick report...

He and I headed out to Nanhui and Xiao YangShan Island yesterday, 9/9. According to Mark it was not nearly as active as Saturday, but it was still OK, and I picked up three lifers.

At the Holiday Inn "Magic Car Park" we had yellow-browed, arctic, and eastern crowned warblers, and Asian brown flycatcher, and across the street at the pond we added plain prinia and red-throated pipits. South down the seawall from the hotel we added vinous-throated parrotbill and reed parrotbill (at the same place they had them Saturday). North up the seawall from the hotel, we had a couple whimbrel along with two Richard's pipits. White wagtails and yellow wagtails were everywhere along with many long-tailed shrikes and a few brown shrikes.

On Xiao Yangshan, we had a tree full of yellow-browed and arctic warblers, lots of Asian brown and grey-streaked flycatchers, and one definite dark-sided flycatcher, a dollarbird that didn't stick around for photos, a blue rock thrush, and a sub-adult yellow-rumped flycatcher (and more shrikes). Mark also had a female Siberian Blue Robin that I never got onto.

Back on the mainland, we went to a pool west of Nanhui along the seawall where they had some goodies on Saturday. No unusual waders for us - just greenshank, wood sandpiper, and a couple red-necked stints - but we did have a few night-herons mixed in with the egrets and grey herons.

I'm sure Mark will have more to add.

Good birding,

Jeff

Last edited:
Hey Jeff.

Good day out yesterday. I enjoyed our trip.

Got quite a lot of pics to sort through from both Saturday and Sunday so I may combine the writing somehow...although the way work is (mis) behaving in terms of volume it may be a little while :0)

Cheers
Mark

Shanghai Sizzlers!

Getting behind with my write ups on my thread and thought these deserve a wider audience anyway...

Firstly on the sea wall road c.300m N of the "Magic Holiday Inn" at Nanhui...a plover...

Secondly...and opinions on the racial identity and the status of this in Shanghai very welcome...a Tit...how singular...

Full write-ups to follow in the usual place...
Mark

Attachments

• 3165_Oriental Plover.jpg
    3165_Oriental Plover.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 3503_Varied Tit.jpg
    3503_Varied Tit.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 69
some out-of-range birds do appear in coastal areas now and then such as Shanghai,Rudong...esp. some residents in south China.No idea where the tit came from--Northeast or Nanling.
Some birds may be ship-assisted.

That's a pretty good pair you have there Mark.

Varied Tit would be pretty amazing in Shanghai, and just as surprising one was photographed today on Po Toi in Hong Kong that does not appear to show any signs of cage damage.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=16875

Cheers
Mike

After the Saturday with Mark, I returned with Dev on Sunday. There are 4 Varied Tits there (plus Japanese Paradise Flycatcher) and after talking to one of the locals that live on the island, it seems they appear there every year around September/October (though how far back that goes, how long they stay for, and if he has correctly identified the species I couldn't hazard a guess - though they are not a bird that could be easily mis-ID'd) !

I believe there were two shipments one for Yangshan and other for Po Toi, delivered at the same day.
Amazon.com has to find out who sent the shipments, i never received the shipments sent by Amazon.com.

Waiting for Kevin to post his "Shots" of the day.

Followed by my big day in Century park exactly after an year.

Good to be back in migration.

Last edited:
Striated Saturday

A quick stroll in Century Park before heading to work. My very first big sweep in Century park after last autumn. I picked my first few's for the park after an year.

Lot of surprises began with a Chinese sparrowhawk, very close to the entrance gate.

Went around the "(No)Bird Island" to see the little grebes and moorhens but all i could see was lonely Striated heron.

Lot of first year brown flycatchers. Atleast 100 of them in my favourite flycatcher lawn, followed with a Black naped Oriole.

Continued my stroll to the eastern side of the park as the crowd started massacring the morning peace. Two Dollarbirds perched up near the exhibition area.

Time to pack up. Packed up my bins and camera in the backpack. All of a sudden a bird dropped down from the tree, alerted by my presence, disappeared into a bush. The dull blue upper parts told me that's an interesting bird. Camera and bins out of the bag again. The bird came to the same perch again and ................ its a 1st winter male Siberian thrush. The day could not any better with such a dramatic finish for two hours birding.

Now to work. Finish the day with Nolan's caped crusader saving the Gotham city and Sichuan Hotpot.

Attachments

• heron,striated_001.jpg
    heron,striated_001.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 53
  • flycatcher,asian_brown_001.jpg
    flycatcher,asian_brown_001.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 54
  • thrush,siberian_001.jpg
    thrush,siberian_001.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Nice urban birding. I like the (no)bird island you have at the park. Quite the yellow lores on the heron, and a very fat worm for the flycatcher (or its young). I might have guessed the thrush as a Dusky, but thrushes are tough for me.

Lianyungang,Jiangsu, the largest flock of Asian Dowitcher in China has gone

400+ Relict Gull
3300+ Pied Avocet
expecting to see the large wintering flocks of 10000+ Pied Avocet and Relict Gull and Oystercatcher etc

On the morning of 13 Oct 20+ DPelican flew over Dongtai,Jiangsu while there were 28 in Lianyungang,northern Jiangsu.
On 13 Oct,one Varied Tit in Rudong.

This morning I was fortunate enough to find 4 BAER'S POCHARDS at Wild Duck Lake, Beijing. If any Beijing birders would like precise directions, please send me a PM. This species is now assessed as "Critically Endangered" and my understanding is that a (partial) survey of its traditional breeding stronghold this summer yielded no confirmed sightings. It's another species on the brink.

This morning I was fortunate enough to find 4 BAER'S POCHARDS at Wild Duck Lake, Beijing. If any Beijing birders would like precise directions, please send me a PM. This species is now assessed as "Critically Endangered" and my understanding is that a (partial) survey of its traditional breeding stronghold this summer yielded no confirmed sightings. It's another species on the brink.

Crikey. That's fantastic news (that you saw 4!!!). Well done - you must be pleased.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

McM - I'll be going to WDL again on Saturday, possibly with Per Alström, if you are interested...! There must be a good chance that they will still be around.

Thanks Ken!

McM - I'll be going to WDL again on Saturday, possibly with Per Alström, if you are interested...! There must be a good chance that they will still be around.

Hi Terry

Have the folks here until Sunday morning so no can do but ta for the offer! That we were in Beijing last Tuesday-Friday makes it all the more galling :D

cheers
Mark

Great sighting, Terry!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back