• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (19 Viewers)

Nice captures Dev, especially of the two Naumann's Thrushes.

The second one looks to have almost no red in the tail - maybe some loose genes in there!

Cheers
Mike

Love the complex involved in these thrushes but talking about the genes, that was the main reason i chose machines as my major. Went back to Binjiang yesterday with MCM, tha park has good no of Naumann's this year but unable to get a better view like the Naumann's showed up at your place.

@Gretchen, i definitely don't know what these berries are but i'm partialy sure that these are not the native trees.

Look out Beijing Birders! Just booked flights and hotel for this coming weekend...

Botanic Gardens for rosefinch and sibe accentors if available otherwise your suggestions and directions and company welcome...

McM

Meanwhile in Hangzhou....

I briefly missed the Japanese migrants in Shanghai during this autumn. Spent couple of weekends and early morning weekdays in the "Shanghai outskirt park" for the Waxwing but there were no signs of them. Waxwing is one of those birds which i don't want to miss. So, i wanted to give a try on Hangzhou gardens.

Hoped on to the high speed train and reached the south gate of garden in an hour. The noisy bulbuls reminded my winter day in 2011. As soon as i took the trail to the north gate, saw a pair of Crested Goshawks in their early morning hunting creating a huge havoc among the Grey Treepies, Red-billed Blue Magpie, Mountain, chestnut,black(white-headed ssp), light vented bulbuls.

The shipment of my new binocs is yet to arrive is hard part on birding. Continued my trail to North gate and found some 50 birds perched on the tree top. A shot on those distant birds and zoomed out to see my Japanese Waxwings. Yay, those funky birds were perched on the tree top and busy preening. All those took off when the raptor glided over and came back to the same perch after couple of mins.

I went to the Herbarium where i had good no of birds last year but i found the gate is been secured with three locks:eek!:. Being born n brought up in a democratic country, the first thing i know was trespassing. Jumped over the gate and immediately i saw 8 Chinese bamboo-partridges walking across the garden. Since the garden is been "Secured", it was the most birding spot in the park with a huge flock of Grey-headed Parrotbills, Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler, Tristram's bunting, Yellow-browed Bunting, Yellow-bellied Tits,Oriental Magpie Robin, Japanese thrush and atleast 4 Male Red-flanked Bluetail.

Attachments

• goshawk,crested_001.JPG
    goshawk,crested_001.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 36
  • GHP1.jpg
    GHP1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 40
  • JT.jpg
    JT.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 32
  • MB.jpg
    MB.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 29
Great shots of the thrush and the parrotbill Dev.

A quality mix of birds for an urban park.

No painfully gripping pix of the waxwings?

Cheers
Mike

Thanks folks!!!

@ Jeff - Hangzhou is an hour away from Shanghai n a good place for the Bamboo partridges. But the traffic, tourist crowd n moving around the city will drive you hell.

@ Mike - I would have got some gripping pictures if i have uprooted some bushes and breaking up the disturbing branches, I'm not one of those togs. Still got some record shots but right now my boss is breaking my knuckles @ office 24/7.

@ McM - You have partridges waiting somewhere else8-P

@ Kev - These are all nothing compared to those 200+.....let me hear from you.

Dev,

I went to Hangzhou a couple years ago. Got some good birds at the Botanical Gardens once I got up the mountainside and away from the crowds. Unfortunately it's 3.5 hours or more by K-train from where I'm at in Wuhu.

Wuhu is still a "you can't get there from here" kind of place. We'll see what I find here this weekend. Maybe some surprises.

Jap Funkies

Good luck Jeff. Please keep us posted about Wuhu. You have got good species list eventhough it's more industrialized.

Here are some ugly shots of the waxwings. Light was very bad and the birds were on the tree top.

Attachments

• waxwing,japanese_002.jpg
    waxwing,japanese_002.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 31
  • waxwing,japanese_001.jpg
    waxwing,japanese_001.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 28
Bluetail special

How many male bluetails i have seen in Shanghai? Only one in two winters. The no. of male bluetails in Hangzhou gardens stumbled me. In the herbarium there were 4 males and their feeding habit constantly changes from worms to berries. I would die for their blue tone.

The last bird is more greyish. Is it a sub-adult?

Attachments

• bluetail,red_flanked_001.jpg
    bluetail,red_flanked_001.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bluetail,red_flanked_003.jpg
    bluetail,red_flanked_003.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
  • bluetail,red_flanked_004.jpg
    bluetail,red_flanked_004.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 27
  • bluetail,red_flanked_005.jpg
    bluetail,red_flanked_005.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 25
  • bluetail,red_flanked_006.jpg
    bluetail,red_flanked_006.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 31
Those waxwings look far from ugly to me Dev!

You say you'd die for the blue of a male Bluetail? CI imagine there is absolutely nothing you wouldn't do for the blue of a male Grandala - and please note the birds below are in shadow, not full sunlight!

Attachments

• DSCN8535 Grandala 1 bf.jpg
    DSCN8535 Grandala 1 bf.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 37
Yoohoo From Wuhu

I headed to ShenShan Park here in Wuhu City this morning. I hardly recognized parts of it. A significant portion of it is being turned into a typical Chinese park. In some areas, all the trees have been bulldozed. Some have been replaced with small ornamental trees. Some marshy areas with reeds have been filled in. They're creating lots of small lakes. At least 1/3 of the park is now bare dirt, and there's now a two lane paved road through that area - it was dirt paths before. It's a shame, because it was one of the only remaining patches of natural forest in Wuhu.

That said, the parts that are still intact forest are still pretty good. I had quite a few species, one of which - Naumann's thrush - was a lifer. And that was the target for the walk, so in that sense it was a success.

Here's the list for the morning:

Ring-necked Pheasant - heard only (spooked by a sonic boom!)
Little Grebe - 5
Eurasian Sparrowhawk - 2
Common Moorhen - 15+
Oriental Turtle-dove - 3
Spotted Dove
Yellow-bellied Tit - 80-100 in several single-species flocks
Great Tit - 2
Collared Finchbill - 2
Light-vented Bulbul
Chestnut Bulbul - 6
Pallas' Leaf-warbler - 5
Oriental Magpie-robin -1
Red-flanked Bluetail - 9
Gray-backed Thrush - Many
Eurasian Blackbird - 2
Dusky Thrush - 20+ (and intergrades)
Naumann's Thrush - 3
White Wagtail - 3 (The one I saw well was a lugens)
Yellow-throated Bunting - 2
Brambling - 4
Yellow-billed Grosbeak - 10-20
Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Those waxwings look far from ugly to me Dev!

You say you'd die for the blue of a male Bluetail? CI imagine there is absolutely nothing you wouldn't do for the blue of a male Grandala - and please note the birds below are in shadow, not full sunlight!

There is no doubt about their blue tones Mikes. Right now, time and cost involved are stopping me to see the colorful wings down south.

Glad that you got those two birds in shade, they wil blind anyone in the sunlight.:t:

I headed to ShenShan Park here in Wuhu City this morning. I hardly recognized parts of it. A significant portion of it is being turned into a typical Chinese park. In some areas, all the trees have been bulldozed. Some have been replaced with small ornamental trees. Some marshy areas with reeds have been filled in. They're creating lots of small lakes. At least 1/3 of the park is now bare dirt, and there's now a two lane paved road through that area - it was dirt paths before. It's a shame, because it was one of the only remaining patches of natural forest in Wuhu.

That said, the parts that are still intact forest are still pretty good. I had quite a few species, one of which - Naumann's thrush - was a lifer. And that was the target for the walk, so in that sense it was a success.

Here's the list for the morning:

Ring-necked Pheasant - heard only (spooked by a sonic boom!)
Little Grebe - 5
Eurasian Sparrowhawk - 2
Common Moorhen - 15+
Oriental Turtle-dove - 3
Spotted Dove
Yellow-bellied Tit - 80-100 in several single-species flocks
Great Tit - 2
Collared Finchbill - 2
Light-vented Bulbul
Chestnut Bulbul - 6
Pallas' Leaf-warbler - 5
Oriental Magpie-robin -1
Red-flanked Bluetail - 9
Gray-backed Thrush - Many
Eurasian Blackbird - 2
Dusky Thrush - 20+ (and intergrades)
Naumann's Thrush - 3
White Wagtail - 3 (The one I saw well was a lugens)
Yellow-throated Bunting - 2
Brambling - 4
Yellow-billed Grosbeak - 10-20
Eurasian Tree Sparrow

A pretty good winter day Jeff. Still no luck on Yellow-browed buntings?

Sorry to hear about the trashing, but its still a pretty good list fro an urban park Jeff.

Yellow-bellied Tit is an irruption species for us, and 80-100 would certainly draw the crowds here.

Cheers
Mike

Yoohoo from Wuhu - Part Two-hoo

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I tried a patch of low tress mixed with dredge-spoil ponds between the levee and the Yangtse about a km or two south of the downtown area. No lifers but a few new China ticks for me:

Ring-necked Pheasant - 1
Little Grebe - 15-20
Black-crowned Night-heron - 1
Common Buzzard - 2
Common Moorhen - 2
Common Sandpiper - 2
Common Greenshank - 5
Spotted Redshank - 1 (heard)
Oriental Turtle Dove
Spotted Dove
White-throated Kingfisher - 2
Gray-capped Pygmy Woodpecker - 3
Long-tailed Shrike - 1
Marsh Tit - 4
Long-tailed Tit - 3 (one of the dark-headed races with a weak white crown stripe and a tiny bib).
Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler - 5
Daurian Redstart -1F
Eurasian Blackbird - 4
Pale Thrush - 1
Dusky Thrush - 1
Red-billed Starling - >100
White-cheeked Starling - 1 (in with one of the red-billed flocks).
White wagtail - 10+
Eurasian Tree Sparrow - 20

I also had something rail-like that shot across one of the ponds. Probably a brown crake, but I didn't see it well enough to be sure.

PS This is likely the last Yoohoo From Wuhu. I find out this week whether I move on to a new project at our plant outside Nanjing. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back