• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cloud Storage (2 Viewers)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I get a message that my Cloud Storage (basic free) is full. I looked in to see what I could delete to free up enough space to avoid being constantly nagged.

There's quite a few files I could remove from the Cloud as they're not that 'precious', but when I got started the message came up that deleting that file would "remove it from all devices"!

That isn't what I want to happen, how can I solve this.

You will have some sort of automatic backup set up. If wants to sync up the cloud folder with those on the devices.

Two things spring to mind; You could move the files on the device to a folder that isn't in the auto-backup. Or open another cloud account with a different provider, use that for the really precious stuff and keep the original cloud as an auto backup.

I find this difficult, particularly with photos. If I delete them from "the cloud" does it delete them off the phone too?
Especially in the Google applications

I think you have to assume that once something is linked to the cloud storage, then deleting it from the cloud deletes it from everywhere, full stop.

If I wanted to free cloud storage space, I'd copy files onto a local removable drive, then delete the cloud copies, and assume it's going to be removed from the linked devices as well

I have a windows 11 laptop, which came with desktop, documents, downloads folders etc not local to my machine, but within Microsoft onedrive cloud.
Unbelievably confusing, and overreaching from Microsoft!!

windows 11 laptop, which came with desktop, documents, downloads folders etc not local to my machine, but within Microsoft onedrive cloud.
My god, how I loathe this. Bring back the days when a file was a file, a folder was a folder, and you knew exactly where they all (really!) were and which (non-virtual) version of it you were working on. It's bad enough when you're dealing with files that you know actually are on your hard disk somewhere, even though the OS clearly doesn't want actually to tell you where. Throw the cloud into the mix as well, with all these vaguenesses plus you don't even know whether it even is on your hard disk at all... UGH 🤮

So..... if I copy, say, my Documents folder onto my ext hard drive, then unplug it. I could then delete the whole Documents folder from the Cloud.
Then copy the Documents Folder back. Will that work?

Or am I still going to have issues?

Will the Cloud actually be able to delete the folder from the C: drive, I'd a sort of feeling that the folder itself was protected?

So..... if I copy, say, my Documents folder onto my ext hard drive, then unplug it. I could then delete the whole Documents folder from the Cloud.
Then copy the Documents Folder back. Will that work?

Or am I still going to have issues?

Will the Cloud actually be able to delete the folder from the C: drive, I'd a sort of feeling that the folder itself was protected?
Maybe just store it under a different name, that way the cloud wipe ignores it.

I use cloud storage via Google Drive for storing students work, I store it for only a short while and then digitally shred it. On the few occasions when I have stored a file on my desktop C drive rather than Google drive I have found that shredding the Google drive file doesn't affect the file on my C drive even though the file names are the same. I take this to mean that 'remove from all devices' refers to the ability of your devices seeing that copy on the cloud. Deletion isn't actually getting rid of the file, it just removes the file identity code so that a device doesn't recognise the file, hence why I digitally shred the students work once it has been marked and returned as that overwrites the file with random letters/numbers etc before deleting it.

I use cloud storage via Google Drive for storing students work, I store it for only a short while and then digitally shred it. On the few occasions when I have stored a file on my desktop C drive rather than Google drive I have found that shredding the Google drive file doesn't affect the file on my C drive even though the file names are the same. I take this to mean that 'remove from all devices' refers to the ability of your devices seeing that copy on the cloud. Deletion isn't actually getting rid of the file, it just removes the file identity code so that a device doesn't recognise the file, hence why I digitally shred the students work once it has been marked and returned as that overwrites the file with random letters/numbers etc before deleting it.
Aaaah!!! Now that's making much more sense to me. Thanks so much Keith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back