• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal tits nesting in a ditch (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
Last week I noticed a Coal tit fly down into a ditch with a beak full of food - at first I thought maybe it was feeding a chick which had strayed there. Over the next 20 mins or so both birds visited the same spot numerous times and getting a little closer I could hear the nestlings calling as the adults arrived with food. Looking it up I read that they sometimes use mouseholes as nest sites - which came as a surprise. This particular nest is in a risky location as the ditch is full of water after heavy rain. Once I'm sure the chicks have fledged I'll try to get some photos.

Many years ago (when I could go for long walks) I was on a moor near Dunkeld and saw Blue Tits going into a hole low down in the bank beside the path.

Never forgot that sighting.

It was a popular walk too, so attracted plenty of people and was also used as a vehicle track for the estate vehicles.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back