• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common pochard or Canvasback - Japan (1 Viewer)

misikuru

Poland
Are they Canvasbacks or Common pochards?

I saw them last week in the pref. Niigata, Japan. The beak looks longer than Common pochard's, but I guess it's not enough to ID such a rare (in this region) bird.

Attachments

• P1050440 (2).JPG
    P1050440 (2).JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 124
  • P1050441.(2)JPG.JPG
    P1050441.(2)JPG.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 124
That is a pretty weird-looking bill for a pochard - even if head-shape and other things look wrong for canvasback.
It's definitely not a Canvasback.

But surely the strange bill of the front bird is mud or a photo artefact? Notice that the bird in the background has suddenly developed two white marks on its face between the first and second photos - with the vertical white stripe, I almost thought Little Grebe.

However, the front bird looks odd in other ways. In the second photo, it seems to have developed a yellow eye, or is it just the nictitating membrane? And the red on the head doesn't seem to come far enough down the neck. And the tail position in both photos seems very odd for a Pochard.

Maybe some kind of hybrid.

Although I think Pochard x Spoon-billed Sandpiper is genetically unlikely. Can they hybridise with Shovelers (bill if not mud; yellow eye)?

bird in the background has suddenly developed two white marks on its face between the first and second photos - with the vertical white stripe, I almost thought Little Grebe.
Reflection from water drops or wet feathers? Don't see anything even vaguely little-grebe-ish.
front bird . . . seems to have developed a yellow eye
Not developed. Just not visible in pic 1. Angle, posture, light, etc. All normal.
red on the head doesn't seem to come far enough down the neck
Stretching neck to preen, so things aren't in field-guide order.
tail position in both photos seems very odd for a Pochard
Bird in non-field-guide posture, as birds often are.

I see Pochards and Little Grebe perhaps 100 days a year (winter residents and the Grebe breed nearby).

And it was Butty who said the bill was weird; hence why I looked more closely.

Reflection from water drops or wet feathers? Don't see anything even vaguely little-grebe-ish.
See photos below. On a glance, that's what I thought. (Japanese Little Grebes have yellow eyes, not red.)
Not developed. Just not visible in pic 1. Angle, posture, light, etc. All normal.
Yellow eye is also visible in Picture 1.
Stretching neck to preen, so things aren't in field-guide order.

Bird in non-field-guide posture, as birds often are.
Not preening in Picture 1. Anyway, the red on the head clearly comes down less far on the front bird than the rear bird; I accept that this may be just 'a moulting thing'. And I've looked through my last three years' photos of Pochard, and I can't find that tail position - the more I look at it, the more strange it appears for Pochard (both shape and position). But of course, it could be 'one of those things'.

Butty: I don't understand why you felt the need to respond aggressively when I wasn't even disagreeing with your earlier post.

BF Kaitsuburi.jpgBF Pochard.jpg

Hello misikuru,
That's an intriguing photo you've shared, especially the bird in the background. It doesn't quite look like a Canvasback to me, but the bill does seem larger than what I'd typically expect for a Common Pochard. I did consider the possibility of it being a Canvasback in eclipse plumage, but I'm leaning more towards it being a Pochard. It's also interesting to note that you, being a foreigner, took this photo in Japan :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back