• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused which camera body with 500PF (1 Viewer)

stoop

Japan
Hello. I have been dreaming for the last two years about getting a new camera body to go with the Nikkor 500 f5.6 PF. I have been using it on a D500, but often find the field of view a bit narrow and thought maybe an FX model would suit it better. I admit, I am bit of a Goldilocks, because I often enjoy any of the Nikon bodies I've had, but I've bumbled around trying to find something "just-right". I regret I sold my D800 body a couple of years ago and have wanted to replace it. Of Course, the D850 seems the most obvious choice, but it is 4 years old now, and I have more choices. One day I think D850, then the next I think Z6ii or Z7ii. I can't decide. I don't want to get a D850 now in case they announce a D880 next week. Oh, dear. I also was a little bothered by big files with the D800, so I'm wondering whether the Z6ii might be just right. I will keep my D500 paired with a naked Nikkor 300 f4 PF and hang it over my shoulder for close fleeting bird encounters. I'm thinking the Z6ii might be better than the D850, or Z7ii on dull winter days with the 500PF. I hope everybody isn't as confused as I am now...If you have advice, I'd be happy to hear it, please.

Choices, choices... just to let you know Nikon discontinued D850...
Still, I do believe the D850 is a fantastic wildlife body, and now maybe you'll find a great one on discount. Remember that Nikon continue servicing their gear for at least 15 years after discontinuing.
Looking at mirrorless range, maybe I'm biased, as I have now totally replaced my Nikon DSLR gear to Z system.
If you have a big pocket, just wait for the Z9, around here end of this year. If not, I do believe Z6II is a better choice towards the 7 series. I use Z7 and Z7II, just because I prefer the extra pixel density and let go a bit on buffer and fps.
Looking still at DSLR Nikons, and being in Uk, talk to Grays of Westminster and they to find a good D4, or D5
If Z system gain your favor, don't forget you'll need the FTZ adapter.

Thank you for your feedback. I’d like a Z9, but maybe the Z7ii will be more practical for me. I feel if I get a D850 now, I’ll be missing out on easy 4K recording and eye detect focusing. I think the D850 would just be like the D500 in many ways. And although it is fantastic now, maybe I’d want to refresh it soon. What are the chances of a D880 by the end of the year?

There's contradictory info about this...
Couldn't get a better confirmation on my sources...
So, until a more certain opinion, let's consider the D850 still in production.

There's contradictory info about this...
Couldn't get a better confirmation on my sources...
So, until a more certain opinion, let's consider the D850 still in production.
You need to be careful and stop spreading incorrect uninformed Z Information about the Nikon D850.. Is the D6 also discontinued..? GEEEEZ

There have been rumours because B&H mistakenly said it was discontinued. Do you have some more reliable indication?
its just someone typically spreading junk they seen on net somewhere with no verification from NIKON.. Nikon is your key source on this.. I won many Nikons and never seen so much BS Incorrect info spread around..

Thank you for your feedback. I’d like a Z9, but maybe the Z7ii will be more practical for me. I feel if I get a D850 now, I’ll be missing out on easy 4K recording and eye detect focusing. I think the D850 would just be like the D500 in many ways. And although it is fantastic now, maybe I’d want to refresh it soon. What are the chances of a D880 by the end of the year?
Z9 will set you back over USD$7000,00 and a far cry from the lower tier other bodies..

Hello. I have been dreaming for the last two years about getting a new camera body to go with the Nikkor 500 f5.6 PF. I have been using it on a D500, but often find the field of view a bit narrow and thought maybe an FX model would suit it better. I admit, I am bit of a Goldilocks, because I often enjoy any of the Nikon bodies I've had, but I've bumbled around trying to find something "just-right". I regret I sold my D800 body a couple of years ago and have wanted to replace it. Of Course, the D850 seems the most obvious choice, but it is 4 years old now, and I have more choices. One day I think D850, then the next I think Z6ii or Z7ii. I can't decide. I don't want to get a D850 now in case they announce a D880 next week. Oh, dear. I also was a little bothered by big files with the D800, so I'm wondering whether the Z6ii might be just right. I will keep my D500 paired with a naked Nikkor 300 f4 PF and hang it over my shoulder for close fleeting bird encounters. I'm thinking the Z6ii might be better than the D850, or Z7ii on dull winter days with the 500PF. I hope everybody isn't as confused as I am now...If you have advice, I'd be happy to hear it, please.
Trying to predict Nikon releases (and even direction at times) is like trying to predict the lottery numbers !

Now more than ever it's best to plan for only what is on the market or confirmed in development.

Case in point, the long rumoured 61MP Z8 was the logical next step, but has now gone quiet and may never make an appearance, or be leapfrogged ....

Nikon had a huge opportunity over the last few years to put the market to the DSLR sword and build on its lead. The D6 was safe rather than ambitious, and the expected D500S (or D550, D580 whatever you want to call it) , and the D880 filtering down, never materialised. Put this down to resource constraints, business restructuring, and a 1 in a 100 pandemic throwing external factors and market conditions into prominence.

Nikon has had to tread water furiously just to stay in the ballpark with a resurgent Canon, and an ever expanding Sony (whose mirrorless head start, AF lead, and more open mount, have been tough work for competitors ....) . Resources have been pumped into mirrorless lenses, and a few sweet spot bodies, and updates.

It looks like the Z9 will be something of an 'all cameras to all people' type 'flagship' - a la' the Canon R5, and Sony a1.

Realistically, it's your only choice of an upgrade in the foreseeable future. Anything else just seems wishful thinking along the lines of so many people who have passed away waiting for a Canon 7D III to materialise ! 😁

Chosun 🙆‍♀️

Although the lowlight specs and ability of the Z6ii to focus in low light on paper are superior to the Nikon DSLR bodies, iI have found that it autofocuses very slowly by comparison and is not up to the dslrs for flying birds in low light. Apart from that it is a dream to use for anything else. I do not do video but suspect it is also great for that.

The Z6ii and Z7ii are very different to the Nikon DSLR’s in many ways particularly the focussing. Yes you can pick one up and immediately it’s familiar to the DSLR’s your used to. To get the best out of them you need to read and watch the many informational blogs and videos that are available. Firmware updates to both the original Z6 and Z7 as well as the ii models have improved focussing dramatically. I’ve owned them all and although it took a while I was happy with my results. The Z9 is in another class altogether.

Z7ii and 500PF

More Z7ii and 500PF

Z7ii High ISO

The Z6ii and Z7ii are very different to the Nikon DSLR’s in many ways particularly the focussing. Yes you can pick one up and immediately it’s familiar to the DSLR’s your used to. To get the best out of them you need to read and watch the many informational blogs and videos that are available. Firmware updates to both the original Z6 and Z7 as well as the ii models have improved focussing dramatically. I’ve owned them all and although it took a while I was happy with my results. The Z9 is in another class altogether.

Z7ii and 500PF

More Z7ii and 500PF

Z7ii High ISO
Hi Mike, have you been able to get a hold of either the Z400 or Z800 Lenses yet for your Z9..? I now have my Z9 and no lenses yet but hopefully any day on the 800Z from what i was told yesterday....

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back