• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (16 Viewers)

Have any Louth based birders noticed a buzzard with a yellow wing tag? I'm just curious as I saw one today sitting in a tree by the main road at Castlebellingham village. I wonder if it is an escape from a collection or tagged for scientific purposes.

Black throated diver at Salterstown early afternoon in very rainy conditions.

Si.

I saw a buzzard on the main road close to the village yesterday but it didnt have any wing tags. That is no help to your question but maybe its a nest from this year that was tagged.

Ger.

Thanks Ger. I have since found out from another site that the same bird was seen by someone else today. It also has a red wing tag. Must be tagged for scientific purposes.

Si.

Copied below info from am email. I suspect this is your Buzzard source, failing that contact damian Clarke in WMNP

Wing-tagged Buzzard Project

I would like to inform you of the long-term wing-tagging programme of Common buzzards which I have started this year in Northern Ireland, as part of my PhD studies at Queen’s University, Belfast. The colours of the wing-tags are in co-ordination with the Buzzard Wing-Tagging Scheme across the rest of the UK and ROI. Northern Irish birds have a yellow tag on their right wing and for this year (2011) all buzzards tagged carry an orange tag on their left wing. I would appreciate it if you could report any sightings of wing-tagged buzzards to me at [email protected] or on +447743068931.
I have had a recent report (6/12/11) of one of the tagged birds found dead at Rush, Co. Dublin. The individual had been spotted at an earlier stage, in the same area, with a second tagged juvenile, so these birds are moving considerable distances. Reports will allow us to better understand juvenile movements and survival rates, as well as life-time reproductive success and mating strategies as the years move on.
Please circulate this amongst any interested parties and thank you in advance for your cooperation. If there are any questions please do not hesitate to contact me,
Eimear Rooney.

Lurgangreen

The geese at Lurgangreen were giving good views yesterday..except the white fronts which were at the back of the fields. The Russian White front was showing well but distantly with 51 Greenland White fronted Geese. There was just one Pink footed Goose with the Greylag and a Barnacle Goose and a Dark bellied Brent Goose with the 300 or so Pale bellied Brent

Photos of the dark bellied and Barnacle attached

Attachments

• Barnacle Goose Lurgangreen dec11.jpg
    Barnacle Goose Lurgangreen dec11.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Dark-bellied Brent Lurgangreen Dec11.jpg
    Dark-bellied Brent Lurgangreen Dec11.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 63
Canada Goose

The Canada Goose was with 265 Brent at Lurgangreen today. No sign of the Barnacle or Dark bellied Brent.

The grey geese arrived late out on the mud. No sign of them at Dromiskin or Lurgangreen Goose fields.They must have another hiding spot. Gerry O'Neill had a Long tailed Duck at hermitage. All else quiet

Photos of the Canada Goose here

http://louthbirds.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year!

Our first talk of the year will be this evening at the Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks, when Peter Philips will give a talk about the little tern protection scheme at Baltray five years on. The talk will start at 8pm

Entry is free and allare welcome!

See you there!

hi
yesterday at lurgangreen there was greylags, pink foot and white fronts
quiet elsewhere

Hi Brian. Nice to see someone in the south part of Monaghan contributing to this forum. Perhaps we will see some records from around your way on the Co. Monaghan thread in the future. Welcome.

Si

I have between 15 to the most counted 18 Lesser Redpolls daily in my garden this year and I still have not noticed any Redwing around here .....
Have to say I cannot put down Mark Carmody and Jim Wilsons new book FRESH-WATER BIRDS OF IRELAND ...... just has beautiful photographs and very interesting read as well. Just the perfect Christmas present ......

Yellowhammer

25 Yellowhammer in the garden today feeding on bird food. My previous high total was 16 last spring. I hope its a sign that they had a good breeding season last year and not that there is less 'wild food' to be found in the countryside.

Lurgangreen

Over 1000 Brent at Lurgangreen today along with 400 Greylag Geese and 50 Greenland Whitefronts. A Russian White front was with the Greenlanders and a Barnacle Goose and Dark bellied Brent with the Brent. GON had the Canada Goose at Lurgangreen today.

A Kingfisher also present in the ditch behind the embankment

A few pictures here.....

http://louthbirds.blogspot.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back