• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CR map recommendations (4 Viewers)

CR maps

maps.me (in my case for ios (ipad mini)) has served me well in other places - it is not free but cheap. Here where I live the maps downloaded (each map download is free) with this app are more accurate than the printed maps available. Does not have any vocal reading out of directions but gives a blue line for you to follow. I have used these maps in Mexico and California and soon in Ecuador.

Niels

Hello Niels,

Sound advice. As I have remarked earlier today, I think that it is likely that apps will have their role to play, particularly once we are in CR.

Thanks,
Gary and Rosemary

CR maps

I used both the Waterproof Travel Map and the National Geographic maps and both are fine. I used the Waterproof map the most.

I also used Google maps on my iphone. I can't emphasize just how bad it is for the unpaved back roads. One bridge it led us to was a foot bridge. Another bridge terminated in a locked and guarded gate at a sugar plantation. The guard wasn't happy. Other roads were shown but didn't exist. Many existed but weren't shown.

I also used the CenRut maps on a hand-held Garmin. The version I downloaded was badly out of data and missing many main roads and lots of back roads. I see on their web page that they updated the data set in February. It might be better. It was very easy to upload.

http://www.cenrut.org/adw/over.htm

Hello there,

More good advice. You have pretty well divined our probable options in a nutshell: a waterproof map, plus suitable app(s). Your advice about the roads and uncertainty of survey data on the ground is also very much appreciated.

Gary and Rosemary

One thing that really irks me is how, at the tail-end of most holidays, much of the final day is, in my opinion, frittered away either getting to or messing about at the airport. It would be nice to think that, depending upon the time of our return flight, we have time for perhaps a short local ramble. Airports are a painful, anodyne but necessary feature of a holiday like this, but if we can vary our last day, that would be welcome.

I guess in one way I'm fortunate in that retirement negates the urgency of a timely return. But even before that I tried to build in an extra day at lodging close enough for a short transfer to the airport, within or near reasonably good patches of habitat. Poas Lodge was one example, Villas Escondidas in Grecia another, La Boruca yet another and even (for those with late departure flights) Cerro Lodge. Of course, nothing works for departure day birding with a departure time at or before about 8 am.

Gary H

Sod the maps. I fancy some of those Imperials!
Amen & hallelujah. Don't deprive yourself of quality down time with a cold beverage and your new Costa Rican friends. After trips to CR during six consecutive years I'm going through withdrawal, consoling myself with visions of looming Ecuadorian jungles.

Don't forget in-country birding guides. I wouldn't even consider a trip to CR without at least trying to schedule a tour with Patrick O'Donnell or Randall Ortega Chaves, and I consider each a valued (though infrequently seen) friend. They would be the first tell you that many local guides can enrich your birding experience.

Gary H

At this early stage (at least relatively so, as early 2017 will be the soonest that we can make our trip), we want to get a good idea of how Barrett Lawson's route/site options fit into a regional and country context. Spreading out a map on the floor and pinpointing or tracing things will induce much drooling!

Don't forget to regularly (nay, religiously) consult Patrick O'Donnell's Costa Rica Living & Birding blog at http://birdingcraft.com/wordpress/. You may well find yourself tweaking your plans based on his invariably informative and entertaining reports.

Gary H

Draining the cup to the dregs

I guess in one way I'm fortunate in that retirement negates the urgency of a timely return. But even before that I tried to build in an extra day at lodging close enough for a short transfer to the airport, within or near reasonably good patches of habitat. Poas Lodge was one example, Villas Escondidas in Grecia another, La Boruca yet another and even (for those with late departure flights) Cerro Lodge. Of course, nothing works for departure day birding with a departure time at or before about 8 am.

Gary H

Hello Gary,

Cheers for that. With two years to spare, it's easy to forget such small things, but we'll try to remember to fit something in to assuage that awful feeling of anticlimax that accompanies full contact with our busy modern world yet again.

…what a thought!

Gary and Rosemary

Guides

Amen & hallelujah. Don't deprive yourself of quality down time with a cold beverage and your new Costa Rican friends. After trips to CR during six consecutive years I'm going through withdrawal, consoling myself with visions of looming Ecuadorian jungles.

Don't forget in-country birding guides. I wouldn't even consider a trip to CR without at least trying to schedule a tour with Patrick O'Donnell or Randall Ortega Chaves, and I consider each a valued (though infrequently seen) friend. They would be the first tell you that many local guides can enrich your birding experience.

Gary H

I know when in southern South America that I missed a heck of a lot, so your point about expert guiding is well made and taken. Can you give us any indication of costs (per hour?), please?

Thanks,
Gary and Rosemary

Patrick's blog

Don't forget to regularly (nay, religiously) consult Patrick O'Donnell's Costa Rica Living & Birding blog at http://birdingcraft.com/wordpress/. You may well find yourself tweaking your plans based on his invariably informative and entertaining reports.

Gary H

Hi again,

I have only just begun to dip into this resource, which I'll need to get used to, as there seems so much there.

The blog is surely a must, given Patrick's experience. I hope that the many months until CR will draw the best out of his archive!

Gary and Rosemary

The blog is surely a must, given Patrick's experience. I hope that the many months until CR will draw the best out of his archive!
Archived postings will certainly prove useful, but I'd be paying particular attention to new reports. His coverage is virtually countrywide, and after a few months you'll find your finger on the pulse of many destinations currently being contemplated.

Gary H

your point about expert guiding is well made and taken. Can you give us any indication of costs (per hour?), please?

It's been more than a year since I last birded with Patrick & even longer since I've retained Randall's services (though we've encountered him several tines since the last tour). We've always retained each for full-day tours, and Patrick may still also offer a half-day option; see http://birdingcraft.com/wordpress/costa-rica-birding-tours/.

According to Randall's website (http://www.costaricabirdingjourneys.org/OneDayJouneys.htm) he continues to offer full-day & half-day tours (with rates based on a minimum of four, but he suggests that groups smaller than four contact him for a rate quote).

I think there may be an ad hoc association of local birding guides in the Sarapiqui region.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back