• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cromford Canal, Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

Yep...that's the one Clive.

I have tried it a few times and it really is an excellent camera. I use a Sony HX100V which is pretty good, not quite the zoom range, but good enough for most situations and it also has a very good macro feature and once you have sussed out the auto feature on the macro setting it does take some impressive shots of insects, wild flowers, moths and butterflies etc.

What do you use Clive?

13 Hawfinch this morning, which is a big count this early in the year. They went missing for an hour or more, before they showed well feeding in the Yews a hundred yards downstream of the bridge.
Lots of birders enjoying the spectacle, it was nice to meet up with a few BF regulars.
A pair of Dippers, and flocks of Siskin, Greenfinch and Goldfinch also present.

nice one Clive, cracking birds and good to meet you. Hopefull a little sunshine will entice me back on your patch soon

Dave

We had a little look mid-afternoon but couldn't emulate the 13 from this morning. We did have 5 distant in the trees above the castle. 2 did fly towards us and land in a tree near the toilets but soon flew back.

Best way I've found for photo's of the Hawfinch is digiscoping... they always seem flippin' high up. I have seen them at eye level a few times over the years in the yews in the church yard but haven't had cameras with me...typical. Best views I ever had were of a large group up at Rose End Meadows, drinking from a puddle (the same time as a flock of Waxwings), but that must be nigh on 20 years ago if not more!

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• Hawfinch 1.jpg
    Hawfinch 1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 53
Yep...that's the one Clive.

I have tried it a few times and it really is an excellent camera. I use a Sony HX100V which is pretty good, not quite the zoom range, but good enough for most situations and it also has a very good macro feature and once you have sussed out the auto feature on the macro setting it does take some impressive shots of insects, wild flowers, moths and butterflies etc.

What do you use Clive?

I am without a camera at the moment, but was fancying the P510.

The Hawfinches played hard to get today. A couple had 10 early morning, by the time I arrived there were 7 which soon melted away. An hour or more passed before 3 showed on the skyline.
Dipper singing under the bridge, and a couple of Goosander flew up the river.

Managed to conntact with 2 hawfinches from the bridge looking towards the church aslo a sparrow hawk and a few mistle thrushes and 1 redwing B :)

Popped down on the meadows today after spending most of the morning at Carsington. There were at least 16 Hawfinch on view, though they were elusive at times. I recon there could be 20+ as I had a couple of small groups after the main flock of 16 or 17 vanished, though I can't rule out duplication.
Also a Skylark over and 50+ Siskin.

Just small numbers of Hawfinches today, 4 was my best total. Dipper singing on the river, Peregrine over, 2 Goosander over and a nice flock of Siskins.

13 Hawfinches showed well this afternoon on the skyline downstream of the bridge, and then feeding in the Yews, giving superb views.

A warm hello to you all and a big thanks especialy the regulars DaveN, Clive A, Steph for her photos and the rest.

Visited Cromford this morning for the hawfinches, i was starting to think I wouldn't see them, after trying the car park and the area around the church. So i looked for the Dipper around he bridge with no luck, then spotted 2 Mistle Thrushes, whilst watching these I could see something in the Yew tree behind them, yes it was the Hawfinches, 11 of them giving good views for over 10 mins. This was between the bridge and station at the 1st Yew on the left, i was accross the river on the rugby club side.
A very good morning.

Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back