• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curio 7x21 vs. CL 8x25 pocket (8 Viewers)

This is why I believe Dennis' premise is too simplistic - there are many more, and more important factors, that makes a binocular suitable for those crepuscular birders amongst us.
My premise is not simplistic. In fact, it actually is pretty involved because I am saying it depends on how much difference there is in magnification between two binoculars versus how much difference there is in relative brightness or EP size.

When comparing an 8x25 and 10x25, the magnification makes more difference in low light performance than the small difference in EP size. Try comparing a 10x25 and a 8x25 sometime in low light for yourself, and you will see you can see more detail with the 10x25.

I have the Curio 7x21, the CL 8x25 and the CL 8x30. The 8x30 is very good, and does not seem to get the love it deserves in my opinion. It is though much bigger than the other two so if you want something small to take with you on walks then it's a choice between the other two. I bought the 7x21 with the intention of selling the 8x25, but ended up keeping both. The 7x21 is very, very good, and I think just a bit better than the 8x25, particularly with handling glare. I sometimes get veiling glare with 8x but never with the 7x. However the focus wheel on the 8x is very smooth - perhaps on of the best I've had, and if you have large hands the 8x is easier to hold. I really like the wide field of the Curio and being a fan of 7x binoculars (I also have the Leica 7x35 Retrovid) I have never felt that the are not powerful enough.

Basically you can't go wrong with either but try them out side by side if you can before deciding!
Can I ask you a question although this is an old threat? In what cases do you still use the CL 8x25 instead of the Curio 7x21? Just wondering, because I like both, but can't decide which one I'd like to buy someday.

Can I ask you a question although this is an old threat? In what cases do you still use the CL 8x25 instead of the Curio 7x21? Just wondering, because I like both, but can't decide which one I'd like to buy someday.
Well actually I found I was using the 8x25 less and less, and eventually sold it. I now only have the Curio and don't miss the 8x25 at all. Like I said I feel the Curio is just that bit better but it could also come down to the fact that I like 7x binoculars. You really need to try both, and if you have big hands you might find the Curio a bit fiddly.

For me the decision, it must fit into a jeans pocket (Levi 501’s) I wear glasses so the ability to use them with them for scanning is important. I have the Curio’s, I did try all the pocket binoculars, Zeiss, Leica. But the Curios are perfect for me. In fact my wife liked them so much I bought another pair. 0% finance on both pairs 😃

David

Well actually I found I was using the 8x25 less and less, and eventually sold it. I now only have the Curio and don't miss the 8x25 at all. Like I said I feel the Curio is just that bit better but it could also come down to the fact that I like 7x binoculars. You really need to try both, and if you have big hands you might find the Curio a bit fiddly.
That the CL 8x25 is a bit bigger, the eyecups are a bit larger and that it is 8 power instead of 7, are all advantages for me. However, it is a bit too large/heavy to carry in a pocket all day. But for that I have the Trinovid 8x20.

I can go birdwatching with a 8x25 all day (I had the Terra 8x25) and don't have the feeling I am missing much. The Leica 8x20 is not comfortable enough for that (the eyecups are too small and uncomfortable.) With 7x21 I also have the feeling I am missing somethin, because it is "just" 7x (I am a 10x person).

Interesting though that you have sold the 8x25. I didn't know that. So probably having both a 7x21 and 8x25 doesn't make a lot have sense.

That the CL 8x25 is a bit bigger, the eyecups are a bit larger and that it is 8 power instead of 7, are all advantages for me. However, it is a bit too large/heavy to carry in a pocket all day. But for that I have the Trinovid 8x20.

I can go birdwatching with a 8x25 all day (I had the Terra 8x25) and don't have the feeling I am missing much. The Leica 8x20 is not comfortable enough for that (the eyecups are too small and uncomfortable.) With 7x21 I also have the feeling I am missing somethin, because it is "just" 7x (I am a 10x person).

Interesting though that you have sold the 8x25. I didn't know that. So probably having both a 7x21 and 8x25 doesn't make a lot have sense.
Yes, for me there was too much of an overlap to justify keeping both, and as the 8x25 was older and the 7x21 slightly better, I decided to sell it. I was having a bit of a rationalization of my collection, so the 8x25 was sold (along with my Zeiss 10x32 SF)

Yes, for me there was too much of an overlap to justify keeping both, and as the 8x25 was older and the 7x21 slightly better, I decided to sell it. I was having a bit of a rationalization of my collection, so the 8x25 was sold (along with my Zeiss 10x32 SF)
You have the CL Companion 8x30 as well if I remember correctly? Yes, than it makes more sense keeping the Curio 7x21.
Letting the 10x32 SF go would have been a bigger sacrifice for me, as I like the 10x32 size (I have the NL 10x32).

You have the CL Companion 8x30 as well if I remember correctly? Yes, than it makes more sense keeping the Curio 7x21.
Letting the 10x32 SF go would have been a bigger sacrifice for me, as I like the 10x32 size (I have the NL 10x32).
I ended up getting the 10x40 SFL to replace it, which I found suited me better than the 10x32 SF! Never tried the NL 10x32 as I feel it is too heavy for a 32mm bin

A CL 8*25 "accidentally" ended up with me, I already had the curio. I've tried them both together, and will stick with the curio: wonderful optics and perfect pocket fit. The 8*25 gets left behind too often, it does not add enough to viewing compared to the 7*21. My opinion.
But the Habicht 10*40 is still the main instrument, supported by the ATC...

I currently have both the Curio and the CL Pocket 8x25, which I've been trying out at home today (I overlook fields and a hill, with a variety of features at different distances, beyond the garden, so I can give them a reasonable test).

I'm an amateur compared to most here, and these are my very subjective feelings about the two binoculars. I'm happy to be told my expectations are unreasonable, btw.

Overall, quite disappointed. And disappointed that I'm disappointed :) - I was really looking forward to them being delivered. I'm not a big guy, and my hands are either average-size, or maybe a little less than average, but I find the Curio too small for comfortable use. I'd only be using it occasionally, but even so, I can't say I'd look forward to it. The CL Pocket is not bad to hold. But for both binoculars I find the eye-cups not deep enough. I have to hold them slightly away from my eyes to see things. I have a very cheap Nikon Travelite EX bin, and the eye-cups are great - nice and deep. Why don't Swarovski do the same, I wonder.

The depth of field on the Curio is greater than the CL Pocket and more satisfying than the latter. I find the 7x magnification a bit inadequate though. For both bins viewing objects between approx 15 feet and 70 yards is good, but greater distances are pretty awkward - the Curio because of its low magnification, and the CL Pocket because it's really quite difficult to find the correct focus at longish distances (300 yards and more). With the CL Pocket when I find the correct focus for these longer distances, only a very small turn of the wheel either way (perhaps 1 or 2 mm of movement) results in the image being out of focus. Obviously I'm not aiming to use them at that distance to see details on birds, just for general viewing.

The focus wheel on the Curio is nice and smooth. On the CL Pocket that's also true, but there is definitely a higher friction point for focusing at a certain distance. I'll explain: focus at about 20 feet then move the wheel gradually to focus on objects slightly further away and that's when there's higher friction. Then another gradual turn and the wheel is smooth again with no problem after that. The friction is always at that point, nowhere else. Funnily enough, some people here (including me) have experienced something similar with the CL Companion. It's more subtle on the CL Companion though, than on the CL Pocket.

I'll try them again tomorrow and see how I feel. But at the moment I feel like sending both of them back. Oh, and on the Curio it has a very small area with the paint missing - I can see metal. They are without doubt brand new, and I think this must be a quality control issue.

I did a short comparison here: 8x20 in possession. Which one to add?

I actually like both very much and it is hard to decide which one I would keep.

But for both binoculars I find the eye-cups not deep enough. I have to hold them slightly away from my eyes to see things. I have a very cheap Nikon Travelite EX bin, and the eye-cups are great - nice and deep. Why don't Swarovski do the same, I wonder.
Then don't try the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. It is even worse! For me the CL's fit my eyes perfectly

Last edited:
The focus wheel on the Curio is nice and smooth. On the CL Pocket that's also true, but there is definitely a higher friction point for focusing at a certain distance. I'll explain: focus at about 20 feet then move the wheel gradually to focus on objects slightly further away and that's when there's higher friction. Then another gradual turn and the wheel is smooth again with no problem after that. The friction is always at that point, nowhere else. Funnily enough, some people here (including me) have experienced something similar with the CL Companion. It's more subtle on the CL Companion though, than on the CL Pocket.

In my case the focuser of the CL 8x25 is better, smoother. The focuser of the Curio is dryer and has just a bit more friction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back