• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (6 Viewers)

Erewash Valley Feb News:

Erewash Meadows: Northern most Marsh full for most of the month with plenty of water available, this gave good counts for Waterfowl with 150+ Wigeon, 100+ Teal, a good count of 14 Pochard (19th), as well as smaller numbers of Mallard, Tufted, Shoveler and Gadwall. A White-fronted Goose and Pink-footed Goose (same as last years bird?) present with Greylag flock for nearly whole month. A single Shelduck also present (4th). 10 Goosander also present on Aldercar flash on 13th.

5 Grey Partridge also seen around the 9th, a flock of Siskins and Lesser Redpolls and Goldfinch were present in the top copse for a period at the start of the month. 2 Raven over on the 16th.

Sadly two barn owls have been found dead on the reserve late this month, one probably starved – the other was found by a farmer who gave a good description of a barn owl. Normally common small birds were also scarce at the start of the month, again presumably because of the cold.

Mammals: A stoat, partially in ermine, was seen at least twice (once on 13th by Aldercar flash). Also 2 Hares.

Sources: DWT Site + reports: DS/DD/CL/SI

Bennerley Marsh and local area: Little Egret present 25th (the second record of this species at this site – the first was on the 14/06/2008). [ML/DJ]

A few sightings of 2 – 4 Dunlin too on the marsh towards the tail of the month [ML]

2 Grey partridge present around chat corner a few times along with the usual snipe [DJ]

The usual winter visitors, Stonechat and Golden Plover continued to be conspicuous by their absence as they have all winter. Also no short-eared owl this year.

Long Eaton Gravel Pits: Of note: Green Sandpiper on the 8th. 3 green Sandpiper and a Red-crested Pochard on the 16th. [RK from DOS Page]

Just got a text that there's a male Snow Bunting on Sheepwash Spit at Carsi. Briefly calling, lost to view but it wasn't seen flying off.

I also had a Rock Pipit on the Spit yesterday and an adult Med Gull in the roost. Still 2 GN Divers, drake Pintail, 15 Goldeneye, 2 Goosander, 7 Curlew, c8 Oycs, 4 Redshank, 5 Buzzards, and 2 Raven.

Last edited:
The Snow Bunting was found by Roger at 06.50 this morning on Sheepwash Spit. The sun wasn't quite up and it was a little misty but he still managed to digi-scope the bird. Unfortunately the bird disappeared after a while and despite searching it couldn't be re-located. Here's a couple of Roger's photos.

Attachments

• Snow Bunt 2011 004[1].jpg
    Snow Bunt 2011 004[1].jpg
    140 KB · Views: 102
  • Snow Bunt 2011 006[1].jpg
    Snow Bunt 2011 006[1].jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 84
Got the same text from Roger, another good record for Carsington. Would have liked the chance to see it, but work interfered as usual.:-C

Got the same text from Roger, another good record for Carsington. Would have liked the chance to see it, but work interfered as usual.:-C

Yes another good record for Carsi. If it makes you feel any better Roger was the only one to see it.

The reported Bean Goose at Carsi on Wednesday was indeed a Pink-footed Goose as we thought. Also, for anybody who doesn't yet know I was looking at the resident feral flock of Barnacle Geese the other day when I noticed one was colour ringed. Through a bit of help from Roger and Clive we managed to retrieve the details which I have sent off. Although not yet confirmed it's looking like it could be a genuine wild bird.

I see a few Sand Martins are now finding their way into Derbyshire with reports of birds at Drakelow and now Ogston.

Had a trip up to Pleasley on Thursday in hope of the Kittiwake but despite it being there in the morning it didn't show whilst we were there. Several Skylarks around and I managed to capture this one when it landed in front of the hide. Also there was several good sized flocks of Linnets, Siskins and Goldfinches.

Onto Oggie where there wasn't much apart from 2 Ringed Plovers, 2 Oycs and c30 Linnet. Talking of Oggie, I see there's been a Kittiwake there today.

Attachments

• SNV35482.jpg
    SNV35482.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 61
Rough Leg has shown well at Howden again- dont suppose its likely to drift south tho.....:C

The weather over the past few days has certainly helped raptors get up and show - family groups of Buzzards are very noticeable in the sunshine.

A couple of us who monitor Goshawk sites have now had 5 pairs at 3 different lowland sites, and 3 juvs still in attendance. One pair had constant hassle from Ravens, one pair hassled by a male Sparrowhawk and another had Buzzards almost as constant companions. The interaction is always good to see and possibly more importantly very helpful in judging size.

Waxwings are still noted most days outside the office at Barlborough, but not sure for how much longer......

Garden birds nest building include Blackbird, Great Tit, Robin, Collared Dove and Jackdaws on chimney pots on a property nearby. 4 Greater Peckers are drumming constantly in the woods opposite, despite their old tree being felled.

Avocets Wyver Lane NR

Thanks to Dave for messaging throughout the morning I was getting a running commentary from the local patch whilst working from home! There were Sand Martins, then Oystercatcher, Curlew and Redshank........then an excited call "5 Avocets flying around the main pool"!!

I dashed out the front door, down the path opposite and found a clearing in the trees to scope Wyver from the other side of the valley and there they were - 5 on the main pool with BH Gulls!

I dashed back to get the car keys and darted down there - Dave was on site and Tony Irons had just landed for a casual stroll; I bet he didnt expect all the fun and games..............

Anyway, poor picture attached as a record shot for a great patch tick. Having trawled through the records (ancient and modern) it could be a first for Wyver too.

And Stef - switch your phone on!!

Attachments

• Avocets Wyver.JPG
    Avocets Wyver.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 88
Yes, thanks to Dave. A great record for Wyver, and indeed Derbyshire.A really funny moment when 2 1st winter BH Gulls tried to imitate the Avocets feeding technique. Not a bad pic Daniel, considering how foggy it was.
PS. hideous spelling mistake on my original post now corrected (I was in a rush, honest).

Last edited:
Yes, thanks to Dave. A great record for Wyver, and indeed Derbyshire.A really funny moment when 2 1st winter BH Gulls tried to imitate the Avocets feeding technique. Not a bad pic Daniel, considering how foggy it was.
PS. hideous spelling mistake om my original post now corrected (I was in a rush, honest).

I did notice the spelling but wouldnt be so tight as to correct it!

Yes, you are right to remind us that they are good County birds too.......I was telling Dave that I remember Glynn having some at Church Wine one spring when they were still "description species" in Derbyshire. I believe the description was "black and white wading birds, blue legs, bent beak"........and I believe it was accepted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back