• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Daniel I suppose that would be me then! First of all as far as I know the pumps are still on, how long for that is anyones guess.
As for the comment Stephen C made "I hear it's gone down hill since they converted it into a reserve"..? I am not going to reply to that but if he wants a guided tour I would gladly oblige, and then he may change his mind!!!

You and I both know it was Steve that made that reserve, and as you have rightly put it, it is still pulling in the birds with the Cetti's being the latest find.

Daniel I suppose that would be me then! First of all as far as I know the pumps are still on, how long for that is anyones guess.
As for the comment Stephen C made "I hear it's gone down hill since they converted it into a reserve"..? I am not going to reply to that but if he wants a guided tour I would gladly oblige, and then he may change his mind!!!

You and I both know it was Steve that made that reserve, and as you have rightly put it, it is still pulling in the birds with the Cetti's being the latest find.

I knew we would flush you out eventually! Well he certainly gave you a good mention, richly deserved. And I can vouch for the tours - maybe you should consider charging whilst you still can?!!
Ps the Goshawk pics were good and I saw you got that Jay at CV eventually.

A Barn Owl down Wyver this morning quartering the old tip field at the very northern end of the reserve. We initially saw it from the layby and then moved down to the mound for a closer look. It was about 07.30 so it was still fairly dark. Whether it was just a bird passing through or a regular thing I don't know. This is only our 2nd record for Wyver and the first for a couple of years. When I say our I mean me and Chris. We also heard Little and Tawny Owl.

Also this morning were the 2 blue morph Snow Geese that flew off with 150+ Greylags and 149 Canadas. 12 Tufted Ducks and 6 Goosanders also in the roost. Around the 2 pools were 3 Mute Swans, 69 Teal, 74 Mallards, 7 Wigeon, 7 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler and a Little Grebe.

Cromford Hawfinches

I was hoping to visit Cromford in about 3 weeks time to look for Hawfinch.
I have searched this thread and not found any recent reports and note there has been no reports this year on the Cromford Canal thread.
Is the lack of reports due to no sightings of Hawfinch or have the reports moved elsewhere.
Any help on the Cromford Hawfinches would be appreciated.
Mick

I have searched this thread and not found any recent reports and note there has been no reports this year on the Cromford Canal thread.
Is the lack of reports due to no sightings of Hawfinch or have the reports moved elsewhere.
Mick

Hi mick I personally have only been down once this winter and didn't come across any. I will post here if manage to get down in the coming week or two

Water Rail at Wyver Lane this afto. Eventually found two as another was under the bird table. The water is high and has forced them out to be more visible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 47
A walk round the local woods felt almost devoid of bird life, so having stocked the feeders I was pleased to get Reed Bunts back again. They have been missing with milder weather so a nice surprise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 33
Mick

3 Hawfinch reported at Cromford today on the DOS website

Sandy

Happy New Year everyone.

Good start to the year at WGP with a pair of GWE this morning for a while before flying off south. Also of note a mating pair of Goosander, 2 drake Goldeneye, 1 Shelduck, 1 Pintail, 1 Little Egret.

Wyver was mainly frozen during a late PM visit so the ducks were on the river - 8 Mandarin in flight the highlight. Only 7 Coot on the main pool, Water Rail still on an island of blackberry, Buzzard chased to roost by Crows, Little Owl calling and from the mound the biggest surprise was 6 Grey Partridge flying through and landing north near the cottage. I tweeted out and Dave reliably informs me that nobody has recorded them for 23 years! During the recent harsh winters I have recorded them on the fields below Bessalone (albeit not this year) so I wonder as this is only just across the valley if they are under recorded in the farmland north of the reserve? These birds could have been displaced by the freeze up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 44
Carsington Water Bird Notes December 2014

December Highlights: Great Northern Diver, Black-necked Grebe, Whooper Swan, Pink-footed Geese, Common Scoter, Goshawk, Common Sandpiper, Med Gull and Caspian Gull.

There were 91 species this month which is about average for December. Last month I commented about the absence of a Great Northern Diver and hoped December would bring our now to be expected Diver(s). Well on 6th the presumed returning adult duly arrived and was still present at the month’s end. Maximum Wildfowl numbers are from the WeBS count on 13th unless stated: 6 Little Grebes, 48 Great Crested Grebes, the Black-necked Grebe last seen on 7th, 20 Cormorants on 21st, 2 Grey Herons on 15th, 11 Mute Swans, 2 Whooper Swans on 2nd, 4 on 3rd and 2 on 28th. Pink-footed Geese movement include 55 on 1st and 250 followed by 275 through on 28th. 4 Greylag Geese, 114 Canada Geese on 4th, 29 (feral) Barnacle Geese on 21st, 1 Shelduck on 1st and 6th, a Mandarin on 4th, 42 Wigeon, 17 Gadwall, 106 Teal, 140 Mallard, 15 Pintail on 2nd is the best count since 1992, 4 Shoveler on 26th, 2 Red-crested Pochard on 1st, 170 Pochard on 18th, 228 Tufted Duck, 5 Common Scoter on 9th, 19 Goldeneye on 18th, 13 Goosander on 1st and 1125 Coots.

Notable raptor activity this month includes a Goshawk on 6th, displaying Sparrowhawk observed on 12th, 3 Kestrel on 4th and a Peregrine on 2nd and 18th. Waders included: 850 Lapwings on 19th, 3 Dunlin on 3rd, 27 Snipe on 1st, a Woodcock on 2nd, a Curlew on 6th, 2 Redshank on several dates. A Common Sandpiper reported on 5th is unusual given the time of year. Only one previous December record when one over wintered in 2001/02.

The gull roost held a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull on 28th, a leucistic Black-headed Gull on 14th, 400+ Common Gulls on 4th, 2 Herring Gulls on 1st, 3 Yellow-legged Gulls on 4th, an adult Caspian Gull roosted on 14th and 14 Great Black-backed Gulls on 16th.

A circular walk on 4th produced 7 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 48 Wrens, 16 Dunnocks, 42 Robins, 104 Blackbirds, 9 Song Thrush, 77 Redwing, 6 Goldcrests, 40 Long-tailed Tits, 7 Willow Tits, 7 Coal Tits, 30 Blue Tits, 27 Great Tits, 4 Nuthatch, 5 Treecreepers, 17 Magpies, 41 Chaffinch, 6 Greenfinch, 51 Goldfinch, 3 Linnets and 22 Bullfinch.

Other notable sightings include: A Skylark on 1st, 18 Meadow Pipits on 28th, 3 Raven on 30th, 40 Tree Sparrows on 4th, 16 Siskin on 28th, a Yellowhammer on 28th and 6 Reed Buntings on 12th.

91 species recorded this December compared with 82 in 2013, 85 in 2012, 91 in 2011 and 89 in 2010.

Not an expert in birds of prey but for ID purposes I would like to know what i saw today. Was driving past along the major road from Sparrowpit towards Castleton (Peak District), unfortunately unable to stop to photo it but I saw a huge bird of prey perching on a post by the road...it was largely white with very light brown/grey feathers....seems like it was wearing a big coat?!......may have been a buzzard but they are a lot browner? Definitely bigger than a kestrel and a sparrowhawk. Which raptors frequent this area? Appreciate IDs ..sorry description so vague but only saw it for a few seconds!

Not an expert in birds of prey but for ID purposes I would like to know what i saw today. Was driving past along the major road from Sparrowpit towards Castleton (Peak District), unfortunately unable to stop to photo it but I saw a huge bird of prey perching on a post by the road...it was largely white with very light brown/grey feathers....seems like it was wearing a big coat?!......may have been a buzzard but they are a lot browner? Definitely bigger than a kestrel and a sparrowhawk. Which raptors frequent this area? Appreciate IDs ..sorry description so vague but only saw it for a few seconds!

Buzzard would be my guess, plumage can be very variable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back