• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

CARSINGTON WATER
JANUARY 2015 BIRD NOTES

January Highlights: Great Northern Diver, Little Egret, Whooper Swan and Yellowhammer.

Although 82 species is comparable with last January it is still a relatively low species count and more than likely indicative of lack of observer hours. As expected the adult Great Northern Diver that arrived in December stayed all month but was very mobile and often difficult to catch up with. Viewing from Stones Island and scanning towards Fishtail Creek or along the east bank will often produce the goods.

Water bird maximums are from WeBS count on 17th unless otherwise stated: 5 Little Grebes on 13th, 59 Great-crested Grebes also on 13th, 20 Cormorants on 27th, a Little Egret on 15th and 18th, a Grey Heron on 13th, 17th and 25th, 10 Mute Swans on 13th, there were 15 Whooper Swans on the water at Millfields on 18th, 14 the next day and 15 again on 20th and may relate to the same herd, 25 Greylag Geese on 5th, 134 Canada Geese on 13th, 29 feral Barnacle Geese on 11th and 13th, a Shelduck on 18th and 27th, 76 Wigeon on 13th, 16 Gadwall on 8th and WeBS, 100 Teal on 13th, 99 Mallard, 5 Shoveler on 22nd, 159 Pochard, 249 Tufted Ducks, 13 Goldeneye on 8th, 12 Goosander also on 8th, 2 Moorhens, and 1273 Coots.

Raptors this month include a Red Kite on 4th, numerous Sparrowhawk sightings including one displaying on 10th, 2 Buzzards on 30th and 2 Kestrels on 13th.

Waders for January include an Oystercatcher on 27th, a Golden Plover on 17th, c400 Lapwings on 30th, 16 Snipe on 18th, 3 Woodcock in Hall Wood on 8th and up to 2 Redshank for most of the month.

11 Common Gulls on 30th, 9 Herring Gulls on 2nd, the winter resident Yellow-legged Gull and his mate can often be found loafing around the spit at Sheepwash and were seen throughout the month, 11 Great Black-backed Gulls on 8th.

There were 11 Collared Doves on 13th, unfortunately the only Owl we now regularly get is Tawny Owl and one was heard calling near Sheepwash on 8th, Kingfisher sightings have been frequent and at many locations around the reservoir, a Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard drumming on 5th, 2 Meadow Pipits on 16th, a Grey Wagtail on 2nd and 16th, 27 Blackbirds counted on 30th, 20 Fieldfare on 22nd, 7 Song Thrush on 30th, c30 Redwing also on 30th, 49 Jackdaws on 2nd, 2 Ravens on 16th, 50 Tree Sparrows at the Wildlife Centre on 8th, 20 Chaffinch on 19th, c25 Goldfinch on 27th, 15 Bullfinch on 30th, a site rare Yellowhammer on 1st and 3 Reed Buntings on 11th and 25th.

82 species this month compared with 82 in 2014, 89 in 2013, 92 in 2012, 89 in 2011, 86 in 2010, 86 in 2009, 85 in 2008, 89 in 2007, 89 in 2006, 95 in 2005, 91 in 2004 and 87 in 2003.

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine will be visiting our fair old county next month and he has yet to see a Woodlark. I know they're fairly regular in the summer (if you go to the right places) but I wondered if anybody knew of any sites that were good for them in the winter or if we were too far north?

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine will be visiting our fair old county next month and he has yet to see a Woodlark. I know they're fairly regular in the summer (if you go to the right places) but I wondered if anybody knew of any sites that were good for them in the winter or if we were too far north?

Cheers!

Woodlark is a very good bird for Derbyshire!
Maybe you are thinking of the birds on Budby Common in nearby Notts?
They will be present now and your best bet if staying locally.
There are others not far away but I'm afraid they aren't made public.

I've sort of neglected Wyver of late hence the lack of posting, although I've been down quite a bit the last couple of weeks. Some of the recent highlights include a male Stonechat which I found last Thursday and was still present yesterday. Best viewed from the viewing mound looking straight ahead towards the river using the fence and posts as perches.

The Barn Owl is still performing in the old tip field pre dusk and sometimes just after first light. Can be viewed from the mound but down the lane would be better. On the 19/01 we had 2 Barn Owls hunting but that remains the only date that 2 have been seen.

There's been some decent counts of Wildfowl in the past few weeks. There's been up to 5 Shoveler, 17 Goosander on 13/01, 106 Mallards on 21/01, c100 Pink-footed Geese NW on 22/01, 19 Tufted Duck on 29/01, 37 Wigeon yesterday, and 19 Gadwall on 29/01 which is an incredible number considering it's a relatively small reserve. The one disappointment has been Mandarin. The maximum flying over this winter is 14 on 08/01. In previous winters we've had over 50.

One of the presumed escaped blue morph Snow Geese has been seen a few times since the turn of the year. The last time was on 5/02.

One half of the breeding pair of Oycs returned last week with its mate turning up yesterday. Hopefully they have a bit more success this year after losing their only chick early on last year.

We generally only get large flocks of Lapwing post breeding in July/August but yesterday there were c150 around the reserve.

Some of the above counts were from 29/01. The day Chris and me did the winter alldayer. It was our most successful alldayer yet with 60 species beating the previous best of 56.

Many thanks Daniel!

Budby Common isn't far from me at all but I didn't know if they would be present then. Will take him on a scout around the Common next month and keep my fingers crossed they play ball!

Thanks once again!

For anyone that uses Facebook (and for those of you that need a great excuse to start using it) I've set up a "Derbyshire Birders" Facebook page and with the help of Dan Martin and Dave Newcombe we are disseminating as much news as possible to the world.

Your support would be really appreciated so if you'd like to join the group then search for Derbyshire Birders on Facebook and send me a join request. You will then be able to find news of (hopefully) most of the interesting stuff that turns up in Derbyshire and I would encourage you to help make the page a real community by joining the banter and especially by posting any news or photos of birds you've spotted around Derbyshire.

Cheers

Steve T

For anyone that uses Facebook (and for those of you that need a great excuse to start using it) I've set up a "Derbyshire Birders" Facebook page and with the help of Dan Martin and Dave Newcombe we are disseminating as much news as possible to the world.

Your support would be really appreciated so if you'd like to join the group then search for Derbyshire Birders on Facebook and send me a join request. You will then be able to find news of (hopefully) most of the interesting stuff that turns up in Derbyshire and I would encourage you to help make the page a real community by joining the banter and especially by posting any news or photos of birds you've spotted around Derbyshire.

Cheers

Steve T

Struggling to find it Steve. Best is to provide a link on here.

Cheers

Pretty early for it, but a ringed plover at Carsington today. The pair of Oystercatchers on Horseshoe Island already nudging pebbles around, right where they attempted last year. Water level up to 92% now.

Very nice starling roost/murmuration in Alfreton on the way home, maybe 3,000 birds packing into what looks like a conifer hedge behind the Wildgoose Construction building. Viewed well from Tesco car park, they put on a much better show than the 100,000 up at Middleton Moor could manage this winter.

CARSINGTON WATER FEBRUARY 2015 BIRD NOTES

February Highlights: Great Northern Diver, Red Kite, Mediterranean Gull and Barn Owl.

A mostly uneventful month weather wise which may be a reason behind another fairly low species count. Although there were a few surprises only last year’s February tally of 81 species is lower than this month’s tally of 85 since 2002. The adult Great Northern Diver was seen throughout the month and can be seen from many locations including Stones Island, Lane End hide and Sheepwash hide. Notable waterbird counts this month were on WeBS on 21st except where stated: 6 Little Grebes on 19th, 54 Great-crested Grebes, 21 Cormorants through in one flock on 18th were thought to have been migrants, 2 Grey Herons on several dates, 9 Mute Swans, c70 Pink-footed Geese NW on 8th, 122 Canada Geese, 33 feral Barnacle Geese on 23rd, a Shelduck on 10th, 18th and 20th, 74 Wigeon on 27th, 4 Gadwall on 12th, 84 Teal, 86 Mallard, a drake Pintail on 9th, a drake Shoveler on 22nd, 35 Pochard on 12th, 91 Tufted Ducks, 16 Goldeneye, 6 Goosander on 22nd, 4 Moorhens on 12th and 243 Coots.

Raptor activity included a Red Kite on 1st, regular Sparrowhawk sightings at various locations, 7 Buzzards on 27th and numerous Kestrel sightings.

Waders this month include Oystercatchers which have returned to breed on the various islands. Numbers increased from 1 on 10th to at least 8 by the end of the month. The male with the bar-code leg ring has returned to the Sheepwash area for his tenth successive year, having been ringed on the Exe Estuary in Devon. A single Golden Plover on the WeBS on 21st, 388 Lapwings on 11th, a Dunlin on 17th and 24th, 20 Snipe on 22nd. Curlew passage started with 1 on 20th which rose to 9 on 27th and up to 2 Redshank most of the month.

An adult Mediterranean Gull was in the roost on 18th and 27th, 500+ Common Gulls roosted on 27th, single Herring Gulls on 4th and 18th, a Yellow-legged Gull on 6th and a Great Black-backed Gull on 1st, 10th and 17th.

A Barn Owl was seen at Millfields on 2nd, this is the first site record for a couple of years. A pair of Tawny Owls were heard calling on 27th, Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming was first noted on 10th, 3 Skylarks were noted flying over on 27th, 5 Willow Tits on 18th including 3 in song, 3 Raven on 17th and 18th, a Brambling in Fishtail Creek on 2nd, a Yellowhammer on 1st and 3 Reed Buntings on 24th.

85 species this month compared with 81 in 2014, 90 in 2013, 91 in 2012, 90 in 2011, 87 in 2010, 86 in 2009, 86 in 2008, 88 in 2007, 89 in 2006 and 90 in 2005.

Poolsbrook Gull fest continues

2nd Winter and Adult Iceland Gulls at Poolsbrook. Adult was quite happy and sleeping but then flushed by photographers who decided they needed to walk down the fishing ramps to get closer.......it circled for some time before heading to the tip.
Pic of 2nd winter attached. Both stunning birds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 110
Beeley Shrike

A pic from Saturday when the GGS was showing well on Beeley triangle.
It was constantly hunting and had caught a Blue Tit the day before.

A good morning was made better as it warmed up.
In the Peak at on site we had 8 Buzzards together, 4 Raven and 3 Goshawk with one pair displaying. These were even buzzed by a male Peregrine at one stage.

A few Red Grouse, 12 Golden Plover, large flock of Brambling, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer and Skylark.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 101
There were at least 5 Chiffchaff at Carsington on Monday 9th, all were calling only and feeding up, often hovering grabbing insects. By Tuesday at least 3 were singing in the lovely sunshine, but only briefly.

hi :) im fairly new here, don't really know any other birders but ive been birding for almost 10 years now, im 19 and I love going out birding and would like to talk to others about it too. I live in chesterfield and if you want to be friends just send me a message.

CARSINGTON WATER BIRD NOTES MARCH 2015

March Highlights: Great Northern Diver, Black-necked Grebe, Whooper Swan passage, Egyptian Goose, Avocet, Knot, Jack Snipe, Bar-tailed Godwit, Kittiwake, Rock Pipit and Spring Migrants slowly trickle in.

Although some spring migrants were slow to arrive there were some high quality birds in the offing this month. The adult Great Northern Diver remained all month and was showing some signs of moulting into summer plumage. Whooper Swan passage was impressive with a total of 144 birds moving through in two days. Firstly 48 flew northwest on 13th followed by 70, 24 and 2 in a similar direction on 14th. Maximum waterbird counts this month are from the WeBS on 8th, unless stated: 5 Little Grebe on 4th and 6th, 43 Great Crested Grebes on 4th, a summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe at Millfields on the afternoon of 29th only, 9 Cormorants, a Little Egret on 14th, 2 Grey Herons, 8 Mute Swans, 5 Greylag Geese on 22nd & 23rd, 137 Canada Geese, 33 feral Barnacle Geese all month with some having paired up on the islands, 3 Egyptian Geese at Millfields on 22nd, 4 Shelduck on 21st, 3 Mandarin on 27th, 26 Wigeon on 4th, 4 Gadwall on 17th, 88 Teal on 4th, 64 Mallard, a drake Shoveler on 18th and 30th, 2 Pochard on 1st and 18th, 77 Tufted Duck, a drake Common Scoter on 21st, 12 Goldeneye, 2 Goosander on 5th and 20th, 2 Moorhens and 192 Coots.

Raptors include 2 Sparrowhawks on 23rd, 5 Buzzards on 6th and 2 Peregrines on 30th. A good selection of waders this month despite the increasing water levels. Oystercatchers are now mostly settled on the various islands and 15 were noted on the WeBS. 2 Avocets were found on Watersports Island on the morning of 14th before eventually flying towards Millfields and lost to sight. This is only the fifth record for Carsington with the last being in 2009. A Ringed Plover on 3rd and 20th, a Grey Plover on 22nd, 132 Lapwing on 4th, a Knot on 13th and 20th, a Dunlin on 13th, 14th and 17th, a Jack Snipe found on Horseshoe Island on 23rd and was still present until 28th at least. 13 Common Snipe on 23rd, a Woodcock at Millfields on 16th, a Black-tailed Godwit from 20th-24th, a Bar-tailed Godwit on 7th and 14th, Curlew passage peaked at 32 on 18th and up to 5 Redshank by the end of the month.

3 adult Mediterranean Gulls roosted on 4th, over 1200 Common Gulls also roosted on 16th, 2 Herring Gulls on 7th and 6 Great Black-backed Gulls on 5th. An adult Kittiwake flew north on 14th. Further records include 2 adults on 20th and an adult on 21st and 22nd.

3 Stock Doves flew over on 21st, a Tawny Owl was heard calling at Millfields on 30th, 2 Kingfishers on 3rd and 27th and 4 Skylarks noted on 26th. The first Sand Martin was a single bird on 20th, followed by 2 on 21st and 3 on 28th. There were 6 Meadow Pipits on Horseshoe Island on 26th and a Rock Pipit seen on 24th and 27th. A Stonechat was in Wildlife Centre creek on 6th. The first Wheatears of the year were 2 males on the dam wall on 23rd. Further sightings of a male were noted on 26th, 27th, 28th and 30th and may relate to the same individual. 7 Song Thrush were noted on 6th including 5 in song. C130 Redwing were at Sheepwash on 19th. The first singing Chiffchaff was on 10th and by the end of the month 15 birds were noted although not all were singing. There were 3 Ravens on 26th, 50 Tree Sparrows on 26th, a good count of 26 Linnets flying over Stones Island on 3rd and 8 Reed Buntings at the Wildlife Centre on 1st.

103 species recorded this March compared with 95 in 2014, 96 in 2013, 97 in 2012, 106 in 2011, 101 in 2010, 102 in 2009, 104 in 2008 and 95 in 2007.

Two male Ring Ouzels at the Sanctuary

This must be one of the most reliable April passage sites for this species even in its current state. I think these are the 3rd and 4th I've seen here in the last couple of years.
On the top of the north mound and always some distance away, but feeding happily.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 87
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 91
Lower Hartshay LNR was buzzing with warblers this morning in the early sun - loads Chiffs, several Willow Wabs, 2 Blackcap and my first Garden Warbler this year.
No wags but plenty Teal and Gadwall left - looks good for Garganey and waders (cant help hoping!)

Spent a large part of the day at Willington yesterday. The Little Gull was present all day but could at times be quite elusive. An adult Yellow-legged Gull dropped in near the spit around lunchtime and stayed several hours. At least 4 Yellow Wags throughout the day including one that flew straight through and 3 on the deck from P4.

A lone male Wigeon still remains. As does 6 Gadwall, 4 Shelduck, 10+ Shoveler and 2 Teal. Several LRP's present along with several Redshank, 2 Oycs, a Common Sand, Curlew and a Dunlin.

Quite a few Warblers in song but no sign or sound of the 3 Groppers heard the day before. Cetti's, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap were quite numerous along with a Reed Warbler and a couple of Sedge.

4 species of raptor including 5+ Buzzards, male Sprawk, Kes and a female Peregrine. Sand Martins were in low numbers until early evening when c80 appeared along with 10+ Swallows.

Butterflies included a male Orange Tip, Brimstone and several each of Peacock and Small Tort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back