• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

When I saw that record of Beardies I was sitting in Sheepwash at around 14.00hrs. I hadn't intended on walking to Hopton end but did so just in case there were any in the reedbed.....and there wasn't :-C

Well at least you checked mate, and I recon i will be doing over the next week or so.

Good time for Beardies dispersing - I watched some footage of youngsters forming flocks at Blacktoft and irrupting high and away recently. I am surprised Willington doesnt get them.

Hi,

I'm visiting Derbyshire in a few days time. I was wondering if anyone knows of any murmuration activity on Middleton Moor?

If so, where is best to watch the specticle from?

Many thanks.

Carsington Water Bird Notes October 2014

October Highlights: Great Northern Diver, Black-necked Grebe, Brent Goose, Merlin, Great Skua, Baltic Gull? and Rock Pipit.

Quite a mixed bag this month weather wise with rain, wind, sun, and above average temperatures to finish the month off. And 98 species is the lowest since 2008. Maximum waterbird counts this month were on the WeBS count on 23rd unless stated: an adult Great Northern Diver on 28th only, 24 Little Grebe on 20th, 46 Great Crested Grebes on 20th, the Black-necked Grebe from last month present until the 29th at least, 25 Cormorants on 5th, 4 Grey Herons on 5th, 36 Mute Swans on 7th, 5 Whooper Swans on 22nd and 3 on 29th, 170 Pink-footed Geese through on 24th, and three skeins totalling 119 birds through on 29th, 11 Greylag Geese on 5th, 355 Canada Geese on 5th, 28 Barnacle Geese through high on 12th (wild birds?). A Brent Goose on 27th reported of the race Pale bellied would be only the second record for Derbyshire of this race, however, the bird was associating with Canada Geese so could be destined to fall into the category ‘escapee’. 342 Wigeon, 15 Gadwall on 22nd, 173 Teal on 17th, 117 Mallard, 5 Pintail on 5th, 3 Shoveler on 5th and 16th, 1 Red-crested Pochard on 9th, 136 Pochard, 290 Tufted Duck on 17th, the first returning Goldeneye was on 18th with 2 on 31st, 6 Goosander on 22nd-23rd and 1318 Coot. A presumed escapee Snow Goose present on 5th and 9th.

Raptors include 2 Sparrowhawks on 14th, 19th and 28th, 5 Buzzards on 3rd, 2 Kestrel on 14th, 29th and 31st, a Merlin on 15th and 27th and a Peregrine seen on several dates. Waders this month include: 4 Ringed Plover on 4th, 6 Golden Plover through west on 27th, 139 Lapwing on 28th, 3 Dunlin on 31st, 8 Snipe on 31st, 4 Bar-tailed Godwits on 23rd, a single Redshank throughout most of the month, a Green Sandpiper on 4th and the last Common Sandpiper was on 19th.

A Great Skua was found flying near Lane End hide on 14th and was still present up until 12.00hrs the following day. This is the second record of ‘Bonxie’ this year and continues the enigma of Great Skuas at Carsington where over half the county records come from this one site alone. A 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull on 17th and 21st and an adult on 28th, c6’000 Black-headed Gulls on 23rd. A ringed Lesser Black-backed Gull on 15th was traced back to being ringed in Cumbria, and another on 18th traced a little further afield to Rotterdam. A Lesser Black-backed Gull type on 27th and 30th showed many characteristics of Baltic Gull (Larus Fuscus Fuscus). However, without a ring identification is difficult to prove. 3 Yellow-legged Gulls on 29th.

Autumn movement saw a massive 5430 Wood Pigeons through south on 20th. There were 3 Stock Doves on 31st, 25 Collared Doves on 24th. Skylark passage included 38 through on 5th, the last Swallows were 7 on 5th, 48 Meadow Pipits on 27th, a Rock Pipit on 15th and another on 22nd, 45 Pied Wagtails on 22nd, 2 Stonechats on Wildlife Centre creek from 26th. Winter thrush passage include 352 Fieldfare on 31st and 1352 Redwings also on 31st. 7 Song Thrush on 24th, 3 Chiffchaffs on 7th, 4 Goldcrest on 22nd, 424 Jackdaws going to roost on 5th, a Raven on 31st. 320 Starlings on 31st, 25 Chaffinch on 23rd, a Brambling on 26th, 6 Greenfinch on 28th, 120 Goldfinch on 22nd, 2 Siskin on 20th, 8 Linnets on 7th, a Lesser Redpoll on 28th and 29th, 6 Bullfinch on 7th, a Yellowhammer on 5th and 19th and 4 Reed Buntings through on 5th.

98 species recorded this October compared with 103 in 2013, 104 in 2012, 103 in 2011 and 109 in 2010.

Hi,

I'm visiting Derbyshire in a few days time. I was wondering if anyone knows of any murmuration activity on Middleton Moor?

If so, where is best to watch the specticle from?

Many thanks.

I haven't heard news either way this year so can't really help. What I do know is that last year it wasn't until late November people started talking about it on here so maybe it's a little early still, if they are there at all. Hopefully somebody with some info can post here as soon as they know. As for location if you go, this was posted last year after somebody else asked for directions.

From what I know the roost is viewed from the hide on Thunderpit Lane itself ie not the main lagoons. If you drive down the lane there is a gate on the right marked no access, this is however the access point. I have never been to this hide but apparently just walk up the hill and it is somewhere over there. Ah I see Steph has sent you up the Lane from Stoney Middleton, in that case the gate will be on your left when you have passed the mill.

Not a great deal to report down Wyver this morning. The best was 8 Mandarin on the main pool and 2 redhead Goosander flew through. The usual suspects were there as in Grey Heron (2), Cormorant, Teal (30), Buzzard (2), Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and BH Gull (121). A Little Owl was calling from the field behind the hide.

Very murky up until about 10.00 so nothing was moving. I did have 3 Skylarks, 2 Siskins and a Redpoll after the fog had lifted.

I haven't heard news either way this year so can't really help. What I do know is that last year it wasn't until late November people started talking about it on here so maybe it's a little early still, if they are there at all. Hopefully somebody with some info can post here as soon as they know. As for location if you go, this was posted last year after somebody else asked for directions.

From what I know the roost is viewed from the hide on Thunderpit Lane itself ie not the main lagoons. If you drive down the lane there is a gate on the right marked no access, this is however the access point. I have never been to this hide but apparently just walk up the hill and it is somewhere over there. Ah I see Steph has sent you up the Lane from Stoney Middleton, in that case the gate will be on your left when you have passed the mill.

I have seen some pics on line recently taken from Cavendish Mill but the flock isnt up to last winters size yet, being an estimated 30,000. They also seem to arrive and roost straight away currently rather than "perform".
There is a link here to the area from January -

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ne...-skies-en-masse-at-stoney-middleton-1-6392370

A couple of hours up at Carsi this morning.
Drake eclipse Red breasted Merganser mid water, then flew east.
The Black necked Grebe re found in Millfields Bay.
Yesterday c 140 Pink feet flew E/SE over Cromford mid morning.

Attachments

• 1671.JPG
    1671.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1672.JPG
    1672.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 49
Two firsts for the autumn this morning at WGP. A male Goldeneye and a flooded lane needing wellies. Also two Common and 2 Green Sandpipers of note. Winter thrush numbers increasing along the lane as are the Wigeon (55) on the pits.

A dry Carsington soon became a very wet one early Saturday morning, but with no sea birds grounded unfortunately.
Sheepwash had plenty of stuff in front being blown into the area. Adult YLGull on the spit and a male Peregrine kept things alert. A male Stonechat on the bank was a nice distraction too as were feeding Goldeneye.
Plenty of GC Grebes, Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon, Tufties but only a single drake Pochard.
Paul Stanley had similar but with added Corvids feeding on a dead sheep.
The feeders had 3 Willow Tits on the way out all feeding together.

A nice Great Grey Shrike at Beeley Moor.

Bit (lot) of a bonus - had a pretty poor, damp day and then found the Shrike atop a bush when I pulled over to check something else on the way home from the Eastern Moors.

A huge count of 1'100 BH Gulls on Wyver today. I knew there was going to be a good count as several fields had been ploughed and there was also muck spreading going on. With all the Gulls feeding in those fields it was only a matter of time before they dropped on the pool for a bathe. I was hoping for a Med Gull too but had to settle for 5 Common Gulls and 2 Lessers.

On the main pool was 2 Grey Herons, 68 Teal, a Wigeon, 6 Shoveler and 6 Snipe. Also a Little Grebe and a pair of Gadwall on the upper pool.

Into roost tonight was c120 Greylags, 98 Mallards and 2 Goosanders. A Little Owl was calling from the field behind the layby and a small Bat sp was flying around us despite the cold and rain.

On Friday there were 2 female Goldeneye on the main pool. A rare sight down Wyver and in fact the first record this year. With the Goldeneye was a female Tufted Duck which was the first record for a couple of months.

Had an hour at Ogston this afternoon. The highlight was a winter plumage Knot on the West Bank. Possibly the bird reported at Carsington on Sunday.

SE Owl quartering the owl paddock at WGP on and off from 1.00pm until 3.15pm at least.

Hi All

Managed a quick stop at Willington Gravel Pits this afternoon, but there were no other birders around the paddock area when I arrived just after 1 o'clock. I had stood near the old gate for a only few minutes however, when the Short-eared Owl came into view and began quartering the area in front of me.
After being gently mobbed and pushed around by a Kestrel though, at 1.15 they both landed together on the mid-paddock fenceline like good friends !
The Kestrel flew off after a few minutes though, but the SEO was still there when I managed to put Dave and Karen onto the bird, before I had to leave at 1.55.
PS A couple of very rough digibinned record-shots from me here, taken in rapidly fading early afternoon light; thanks again to Dave for letting me look through his scope when it became too poor for my bins; and thanks too to John E. for his initial post on the bird.

Cheers

Andy (Russell)

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 106
Hi everyone,

3 Whooper Swans (1 ad, 2 juv) just E of Swarkestone Bridge in fields just S of the Trent with 86 Mute Swans this afternoon.

In addition 5 Little Egret and Green Sandpiper were at Barrow GP, pleasing sightings as this section was being heavily worked with lots of construction traffic.

Drake Mandarin at Markeaton Park yesterday and male Stonechat at Dove Valley Industrial Park on Saturday.

Matt

The dodgy Geese just keep on giving down Wyver. After the recent Red-breasted Goose and white morph Snow Goose, today there were 2 blue morph Snow Geese. I'm guessing that these are part of the flock of 4 that were at Carsington in July and are obviously doing the rounds in the county.

14 Gadwall on the main pool represents a good number for Wyver. Also 76 Teal, 6 Wigeon, 2 Shoveler, and 109 Mallards in to roost. Talking of which, I was standing near the layby counting the Mallards coming in. As it was dropping dark I caught sight of a drake Mallard flying in near the power lines when all of a sudden it dropped to the floor presumably after hitting the lines. This is the first time I've seen this at Wyver although I have seen a few corpses over the years which I presumed had succumbed to the same fate.

Not much else to report apart from a Little Owl calling near dusk and a couple of Goldcrests near the mound.

The 2 presumed escaped blue morph Snow Geese down Wyver again this evening. As usual they flew in with Greylags (144) near dusk.
85 Mallards also into roost and 5 Mandarin over. 7 Gadwall on the top pool and 2 Shoveler on the main pool. A Little Grebe on the top pool and a Little Owl calling near dusk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back