• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (6 Viewers)

Out for a wander on the Moor today. From Holne Quarry, I went up Ryder's Hill, down the upper Mardle valley, then over to Holne Moor. Apart from a very brief flurry of snow, one decent shower, and the inrceasing wind, the weather was glorious [ well, to me anyway.. ;) ]. Lots of people about; early on mostly looking for snow - only little bits and pieces, with up to 1.5cm of ice, though there looked like plenty up Fernworthy way - plus Ten Tors Trainees, who were going around in groups of 10+.
Ok, enough babbling, here's the birds! Holne Lee ridge - Jack Snipe, 2+ Skylark. Scan from Ryder's [ interrupted by 18 Ten Tors Trainees ] - 1 Buzzard over Sharp Tor. Mardle valley - 2 Raven, 3 Stonechat, 2 Snipe, Jack Snipe. Holne Moor - 1+ Skylark, 2+ Mipit, Stonechat, 2 Mallard on Venford Reservoir. 1st field W of Fore Stoke Farm - ~80 Redwing, 3+ Fieldfare, m. Brambling with ~12 Chaffinch

Checked Park Farm for Cattle Egrets from across the estuary at Embankment Road this morning. The cattle and presumably any egrets were sheltering from the strong southerly at the bottom of the field mostly out of site but i could make out about three fresian cows, one Cattle Egret and one Little Egret. A quick look at Start Bay from Torcross Line produced at least 10 Velvet Scoter ( maybe a couple more, not easy to see in the troughs ) and a steady southerly movement of Fulmars.

2 Balearic Shearwaters off Exmouth seafront late morning, passing south-west. Had them from the shelter near the Harbour View cafe. Also first-winter Lesser Black-backed Gull in the bay, my first in Exmouth this year.

Checked Park Farm for Cattle Egrets from across the estuary at Embankment Road this morning. The cattle and presumably any egrets were sheltering from the strong southerly at the bottom of the field mostly out of site but i could make out about three fresian cows, one Cattle Egret and one Little Egret. A quick look at Start Bay from Torcross Line produced at least 10 Velvet Scoter ( maybe a couple more, not easy to see in the troughs ) and a steady southerly movement of Fulmars.
Had 12 Velvet Scoters west past Slapton this morning (quite close in). 3 Ruddy Ducks on the ley including an adult male. Scaup reported in Ireland Bay, but having seen the Stover bird I didn't bother to have a look.
Incredibly rough at Beesands, so no sign of the Long-tailed Duck though I'm sure it's still there. 2 female Eiders, 60+ Common Scoters and a Great Crested Grebe also on the sea. Still large numbers of Pochard and Gadwall on Beesands Ley, but having seen that plastic pochard before Christmas I didn't persevere all that long. Good views of the 5 Cattle Egrets at Park Farm, and 5 Snipe flushed from the field above the one containing the egrets.

Interesting article in British Birds this month about the diet of urban Peregrines, including 10 years' worth of analysis of prey remais from the Exeter nest site.

Feral pigeons topped the list (remains of over 1000 recorded), but there was a very wide range of species recorded, including Jack Snipe, Roseate Tern, Little Owl...and 10 budgies.

Also discussion of the extent to which Peregrines hunt at night, going after nocturnal migrants.

James

Interesting article in British Birds this month about the diet of urban Peregrines, including 10 years' worth of analysis of prey remais from the Exeter nest site.

Feral pigeons topped the list (remains of over 1000 recorded), but there was a very wide range of species recorded, including Jack Snipe, Roseate Tern, Little Owl...and 10 budgies.

Also discussion of the extent to which Peregrines hunt at night, going after nocturnal migrants.

James
great piece of info there, thanks for sharing it with us. i also park in the hariquine car park in exeter just to see the birds mentioned.

i was let out for a while to day so i set of to a place i have been tipped off about (thanks mark and bob)

i got great views of little owls(2) i am so chuffed.

also present was gs woody, redwing, mistle and song thrush and tits.

Attachments

• lowl3.jpg
    lowl3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 96
Been attacking my Exmouth patch again today (all within the Exmouth Civil Parish Boundary and offshore from there). Had a calling Crossbill fly over at Knowle Hill Plantations, south of Castle Lane. Also in Littleham Churchyard male Blackcap, 2 Green Woodpeckers, pair of Bullfinches and other sundry common fare.

Can anyone tell me if the Falcated Duck has been showing well? I got good views of it at the end of '06, but it would be nice to go back and try and get a few pics.

Robins nesting

Hi just to let you know that Endsleigh Gardens IVYBRIDGE have actually got a pair of Robins nesting inside their store. In the plant department on a top shelf. Interesting as they have been collecting brightly coloured stuff from the store to make the nest

Hi just to let you know that Endsleigh Gardens IVYBRIDGE have actually got a pair of Robins nesting inside their store. In the plant department on a top shelf. Interesting as they have been collecting brightly coloured stuff from the store to make the nest

Was in there last Saturday morning Seamoor. Heard one singing and just presumed it was on a tape or something to add some ambience to the plant department until my son pointed out one singing on a girder. Did not realise there was a pair making a nest. Amazing.

The Black Brant was on the estuary off West Charleton this morning with 120 Dark-bellied Brent Geese. A Chiff Chaff was singing by the sewage works.
The female Long-tailed Duck was still off Beesands best viewed from the footpath to Start Point as it was very close to the shore. (A bit further than 300 yards Brian, but not as far as 5 miles Dave!!!!!-but thanks for the info as I would not have looked vertically down from the footpath). The female Red-crested Pochard was on the ley.
There were 10 Velvet Scoters off the car park at Slapton and there were two Ruddy Ducks at the Torcross end of the Ley. The drake Scaup was also viewable from the hide mid-afternoon. Roger

Strange that! We have a couple of Robins inside the Kings Garden Centre store in Exmouth. They are to be found singing and feeding in the cafe area, and have been for quite some time now - perhaps I should be looking for a nest!! :t:

Out today round the Bystock Reserve area. Had 21 Lesser Redpolls feeding overhead by the large pond/entrance gate, 3 very showy Dartford Warblers fairly nearby, and a Marsh Tit.

Adult Mediterranean Gull off Mudbank Lane, Exmouth early this afternoon. It was resting on the mud just south of the creek. Also there 2 Greenshanks and a Kingfisher.

Late edit:

3 Great Northern, 1 Black-throated & 1 Red-throated Divers passed Orcombe Point late afternoon, (also a Fulmar for my patch yearlist!).

Also another Great Northern Diver on the Exe, just above Starcross (seen from Exmouth side).

Last edited:
Cattle Egret info

I will be in Plymouth at some stage this weekend, and wondered if any one had any more precise directions on the Cattle Egrets at Saltram and Warleigh Point...

Also, if anyone has any more info on where the firecrest in Dunsford Woods were today?

Last edited:
I will be in Plymouth at some stage this weekend, and wondered if any one had any more precise directions on the Cattle Egrets at Saltram and Warleigh Point...

Also, if anyone has any more info on where the firecrest in Dunsford Woods were today?

Mark,
Can't help with the above I'm afraid, but last time I visited Saltram (about 2 weeks ago) I parked in Sainsbury's and walked up the cycle path. I was amazed to see a kingfisher working the stream under the A38 flyover.

Good luck!

Richard

Request for Info

If all goes to plan I shall be in the Brixham area for a couple of days Sun/Mon, though not birding very much. However, I couldn't help noticing some cracking photos of Cirl Bunts on seed at Broadsands appearing just recently. If these birds are readily available I'd be grateful for a PM with location (and anything else of interest down that way). Cheers all....:t:

EDIT - lots of gen has already come my way! Many thanks to you all....|=)|

Last edited:
Kingsbridge Estuary

Black Brant still present. Flew up from Kingsbridge and joined flock of 100 Brent Geese off Charleton Point at 11:00hrs. Little else around. 6 Chiffs in Charleton Sewage Works and 2 Water Rails calling on the marsh. Walking around towards Curlew Drive noticed 2 Cattle Egrets across the river in the usual field at Park Farm.
Perry

Attachments

• DSCN2668.jpg
    DSCN2668.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2669.jpg
    DSCN2669.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back